Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hooking Up Doorbell Via Homerun Closet Need Help

I have a bit of an unusual situation. I wired up my house when I did a
remodel to install a key system and an intercom at the front door. As
such all I did was run a four pair Cat5e from the doorbell to the
homerun closet. I have decided not to install a key system but instead,
just a doorbell. Unfortunately i did not run a doorbell wire from the
location where the doorbell would be to the front door to the chime
location and back to the transformer! What I did do is run a four pair
Cat5e from the front doorbell to the homerun closet as well as a four
pair Cat5e from the area where the chime would be mounted to the homerun
closet. Couldn't I just connect the the same color e.g. (brown
white/white brown) pair to the front doorbell as well as the same at the
chime and do all of the cross connects in the homerun closet to complete
the circuit and energize the doorbell. That is, connect the doorbell to
the chime with the same half of the pair and the other two conductors
(one from the doorbell and one from the chime go to the transformer,
that will be mounted in the homerun closet. There is not another way for
me to install a hard wired doorbell. Help if you can. If this does not
make sense, please let me know. Any suggestions or advice would be
appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:08*pm, wrote:
[...]

Yeah you can do that. I would suggest doubling up on the pairs to
increase the wire gauge since CAT 5 is typically 24 guage wire. Ex use
the white/blue and blue white tied together as 1 conductor, and the
white/orange and orange white tied together for the other conductor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:41*pm, Mike rock wrote:
On Sep 13, 9:08*pm, wrote:

[...]

white/orange and orange white tied together for the other conductor.- Hide quoted text -

Ageed I use CAT5 cable for all kinds of low voltagae wiring especially
since lately I have had access to a lot of scrapped cable.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:08:29 -0700, wrote:

[...]

You can use any pair of the cat5 as a standard bell wire, connected
in the home-run closet. However, the cat5 is lighter wire than
standard bell wire so if the length is substantial I would parallel 2
pairs (use 2 pairs, with solid color conductors of 2 pairs connected
together, and the stripe conductors of the same 2 pairs also connected
together)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually the run from either the Doorbell to the home run closet is less
than 50 feet, as is the chime to the home run closet. Is it still
necessary to double up on the conductors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

That kind of depends on the chime you use. Try it with single conductors,
then double them if you need to.

Closet Organization - Use Your Space Wisely. Closet Organization Video trav Home Repair 0 October 13th 07 04:52 PM
Hooking up a dryer alaric Home Repair 5 March 18th 07 09:20 PM
More OT, hooking computers together JohnM Metalworking 27 August 5th 05 05:39 AM
Hooking Up A RF Modulator Darren Thornton Electronics 2 December 27th 04 09:28 AM
Hooking up gas dryer... blueman Home Repair 15 December 15th 04 12:40 PM