DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gas engine clogging up (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/286998-gas-engine-clogging-up.html)

Deodiaus September 13th 09 09:21 AM

gas engine clogging up

I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. Does that work?

LouB[_2_] September 13th 09 10:12 AM

gas engine clogging up

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. Does that work?

Try taking it back. Engine is messed up

Ed Pawlowski September 13th 09 12:56 PM

gas engine clogging up

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. Does that work?

Is this a 4 cycle engine? It should not be loading up on oil. Is the
crankcase overfilled? Do you store the machine with the engine turned on
its side so oil can run into the combustion chamber? Sound like the engine
is about shot to hell already.

I'd read the warranty and take it back to get checked out. That should not
be happening inside of a couple of months.

Hustlin' Hank September 13th 09 01:51 PM

gas engine clogging up

On Sep 13, 4:21�am, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. �If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? �Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? �How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. �I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. �Does that work?

Since it is a Briggs, I am assuming it is a 4 stroke motor ( 4 stroke
means you don't have to mix the gas and oil). That being said, you
have a air/fuel mixture problem. Usually this is due to the choke not
opening all the way or a clogged air filter ( both will restrict air
flow). Check both and test without air filter on to make sure choke is
oen all the way. This should fix your problem. If it doesn't, then the
float or float valve may not be shutting off the fuel to the bowl at
the correct level. Again, make sure the choke is OPEN when running.

Hank

Tony Hwang September 13th 09 03:33 PM

gas engine clogging up

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. Does that work?

Hi,
White smoke? Worse than black smoke.

HeyBub[_3_] September 13th 09 05:24 PM

gas engine clogging up

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.
I noticed that my spark plug was fouled up, and saw black sand-like
material inside.
What is the best way to clean that out? Should I remove the top
cylinderhead and clean it? How do I do that without disassembling the
whole engine.
Years ago, I had a Ford Escort with a carburetor. I would pour Magic
Mystery Oil in the red can into the carburetor, which was suppose to
clean it out. Does that work?

Black smoke usually means a too rich gas mixture.

White smoke means the engine is burning oil. If the normal things - like oil
level - are normal, burning oil often means the piston rings are shot or the
cylinder is scored, allowing oil from the crankcase into the firing chamber.

The reason "Magic Mystery Oil" worked is that it made the oil thicker and
harder to get past worn piston rings.

So, then, if the normal things are normal, the engine is bad.

Hustlin' Hank September 13th 09 07:33 PM

gas engine clogging up

On Sep 13, 12:24�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Black smoke usually means a too rich gas mixture.

White smoke means the engine is burning oil. If the normal things - like oil
level - are normal, burning oil often means the piston rings are shot or the
cylinder is scored, allowing oil from the crankcase into the firing chamber.

The reason "Magic Mystery Oil" worked is that it made the oil thicker and
harder to get past worn piston rings.

So, then, if the normal things are normal, the engine is bad.

Altho you are correct about the cause of smoke color, I don't rely too
much on peoples evaluation of the color of smoke. I mostly relied on
the fact he had to keep the throttle wide open for it to run at all.
That merely means he isn't getting enough air. Of course, he could've
over filled the oil sump too. But we'll probably never know. :-)

Hank

Deodiaus September 14th 09 07:04 AM

gas engine clogging up

I think the oil is filled too high, but have to check when it has sat
untouched for an hour. Also, I store the powerwasher in the garage on
top of bags of concrete. It probably might have tilted.
I have a year warrentee.
The smoke is white with a light blue haze, probably due to oil getting
inside. Yesterday, it would run on the normal setting (as opposed on
the start setting), but had trouble starting.
Any recommendations on cleaners? I don't want to damage the motor,
but if it is shot, then I guess I will try.
There seems to be a lot of carbon grit visibile through the spark plug
hole on the piston.
Yes, its a 4 cycle engine, the oil and gas are in separate tanks.

Johnl September 14th 09 11:46 AM

gas engine clogging up

If it is oil overfill, take some out, put in a new spark plug, start it and
it will clean itself.

Hustlin' Hank September 14th 09 12:27 PM

gas engine clogging up

On Sep 14, 2:04�am, Deodiaus wrote:
I think the oil is filled too high, but have to check when it has sat
untouched for an hour. �Also, I store the powerwasher in the garage on
top of bags of concrete. �It probably might have tilted.
I have a year warrentee.
The smoke is white with a light blue haze, probably due to oil getting
inside. �Yesterday, it would run on the normal setting (as opposed on
the start setting), but had trouble starting.
Any recommendations on cleaners? �I don't want to damage the motor,
but if it is shot, then I guess I will try.
There seems to be a lot of carbon grit visibile through the spark plug
hole on the piston.
Yes, its a 4 cycle engine, the oil and gas are in separate tanks.

I would do what another poster said. Make sure oil level is correct,
change the plug and run it at full throttle. It should blow out any
major deposits and you'll be good to go. Again, since we can't
actually see what you are seeing, it is hard to determine just how
much carbon buildup there is. If you are worried about it, take it
back and exchange it for another.

Read the manual on the correct starting procedure. Personally, I move
the throttle from start to run slowly, after about 5-10 seconds after
it starts. This limits the amount of carbon buildup from a rich air/
fuel mixture.

Hank

Tony[_19_] September 18th 09 04:16 AM

gas engine clogging up

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I
bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago.
It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If
I don't have it high enough on the throttle, it dies.

Most all small engines are made to operate at 2 speeds, idle and full
throttle. Don't try to run it in between.