Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Default Lowe's Lousy Inventory

I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron
water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow
Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2 curb mount
Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron
water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow
Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2 curb mount
Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.

Lowes and the other big-boxes only continue to carry what actually
moves. Stock carried varies by store, and they are very good at tracking
and predicting. They take their best guess when the open a store, but
12-24 months later, if something has sold only a few, or not it all,
they won't have it anymore. 80-20 rule. You mainly worry about the 20%
of the line that brings in 80% of your money, and fill in around the
edges with the rest. Most of us on this group have run into the same
problem. Stuff we used to be able to find anywhere is now an annoying
PITA to track down, and in many smaller towns, there is no longer a
full-line purveyor to the trade. Builders have to send a truck to the
nearest big city when they build a custom house. Lowes answer? 'Oh, we
can order that for you'. Yeah, right. You can build a house from Lowes,
but it'll be the most white-bread-with-mayonnaise cookie cutter you can
imagine, because that is what the bean counters have determined we
actually buy.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1
micron water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon
of Snow Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2
curb mount Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.

When Lowe's bought out our local chain, Eagle, it was the same deal. The first 5
things I needed I finally found in the "closeout" area. They stock way less than
Eagle did. But they are still often better than HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:06:48 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Larry Caldwell wrote:
[...]

In my area, the Lowes stores lean more towards "home decorating" items
and HD leans more towards general building supplies.

You can get a front door, or a ceiling fan at HD, but Lowes will have
a bigger selection of nicer ones.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
.. .
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron
water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow
Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2 curb mount
Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Ahhh , must be time for a Big Box Bash-a-Thon....Been a few weeks so I guess
it's time...The Big Box Haters need an "atta boy" now and then from other
haters to keep that "warm and fuzzy feeling" going...It most usually happens
after passing a full Home Depot , Lowes or Walmart parking lot and they get
that "left out feeling" or feel they are missing something...An "atta boy"
from others that refuse to shop at the big boxes and a few BS horror stories
(like the one above) about past experiences and the left out feeling
dissipates , for a while.... Therapy for BBDS ..(Big Box Derangement
Syndrome)

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron
water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow
Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2 curb mount
Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.

Big Box stores don't come into an area to save you/us money.
After they take the business/ put the local competition out, of business
they raise prices and cut inventory to the fast movers or items that
offer the larger margins of profit. This is one reason that American
made is being made ancient history.
Small harware building supply stores often tried rigorously to carry
American made. people bought it even if it was a little more. The
quality was there, generally. Big Box carries only what it's buyers buy
in China etc in volume. Of course lumber and other things are
exceptions. There is no concern with what we want. We are forced to buy
what they offer because they are the only game in town.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 7:48*pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

I see nothing wrong by reporting their experiences and most has some
positive items as well.

With competition prices are generally fair.

A lot of people are pretty smart about shopping around for the best
prices and availability.
I ask lots of questions like, "Do you see many returns for service
issues for Brand X cordless bacon cooker?"

Customer service is right up there with price in my priorities.

One large retailer showed poor service one too many times for me and
they lost me for life.

When I was a manager at a large clothing retailer, managers learned
some good material on how to treat customers.

If a customer has a good experience, he may tell 2 or 3 others about
the good experience.
If he/she has a bad experience, they will on average tell 10 others
about it.

Almost forgot. Do you work for a big box store? :-)

Take care,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:08:13 -0700, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron
water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow
Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2 curb mount
Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.

Some stores are larger than others, depending on location and demand.
And then stores have various marketing strategies. Right now I need
gardening supplies and equipment and the large stores have moved all
of that out and put in Christmas decorations. I had to do some
Internet shopping, and the local stores can't understand why they are
not doing so well.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

In article ,
(benick) says...

[...]

No past experiences here, Bubba. That trip to Lowes was today. If they
stock everything you want, good for you. You apparently don't do much
around the house.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

In article , nada (nada
) says...

Big Box stores don't come into an area to save you/us money.
After they take the business/ put the local competition out, of business
they raise prices and cut inventory to the fast movers or items that
offer the larger margins of profit. This is one reason that American
made is being made ancient history.
Small harware building supply stores often tried rigorously to carry
American made. people bought it even if it was a little more. The
quality was there, generally. Big Box carries only what it's buyers buy
in China etc in volume. Of course lumber and other things are
exceptions. There is no concern with what we want. We are forced to buy
what they offer because they are the only game in town.

The big box stores didn't put the lumber yards out of business, but the
lumber yards around here close on weekends and at 5:30 PM. One yard
used to be the Saturday morning meeting place for hundreds of men in the
county, but too many weekend tinkerers go to the big box stores, so that
business is gone.

I don't know anyone who buys lumber from the big box stores. They carry
some specialty items, like 3/16 planed box stock, that is hard to find
anywhere else, but for studs, rafters, TJ-Is and trusses, a lumber yard
is the place to go, if you can't go directly to the truss manufacturer.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 12, 9:58*pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article , nada (nada
) says...

[...]

Big Box never put a small store out of business , unfair stock buying
did . Suppliers give price a, to the little guy cause he can only
carry 10 saws at once. Price b go's to the big box cause he buys 40
saws , it has made it impossible for the small guy to compete . This
is the suppliers fault not the big box also China's fault as this is
how they sell .
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Mint" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 7:48 pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

No , I am a Drywall Contractor....SWMBO is a manager at Walmart
though...Good health insurance....Why do you ask ???..I just find BBDS
sufferers amusing , especially the remarks about how stupid folks are for
shopping at Big Boxes and how smart they are for not shopping
there.....LOL...Capitolism is what it is....Lead , follow or get out of the
way....

By the way...We have a Homedepot and Lowes and not one single
lumber/hardware store of the 6 or so around (not counting all the other
plumbing , electical supply houses and garden centers , ect. have gone
under...

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article ,
(benick) says...
[...]

Hi,
For me, when I go any store for urgent need of particular item, it's
always out of stock ?!?!???. LOL
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

[...]

Bubba ??? Classy remark....Carefull your IQ is showing...I never said Lowes
has everything I need...I go to Homedepot among other lumber yards...I have
never been to a Lowes even though it is right in the same area... You don't
know **** about what I do around the house...

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Larry Caldwell wrote:
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1
micron water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon
of Snow Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and a 3x2
curb mount Velux skylight.

I ended up getting the toilet handle. None of the other items were in
stock. What kind of building supply store doesn't stock butyl calk?
Last month I went there looking for a quad 20 breaker, and they didn't
stock those either. The irritating thing is that, when Lowes built
their store, a local building supply went out of business, but I could
buy all the stuff at the local building supply in one stop.

When the local Lowes went up earlier this year I stopped by to check it out.
On the front door was a large welcome sign in both English and Spanish.
This theme was repeated throughout the store.

Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was still America, and
that immigrants to this country should understand English if they wish to
live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.

I walked out of that store within five minutes of walking into it, and I
will never set foot in it again.

Jon

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

When the local Lowes went up earlier this year I stopped by to check it
out. On the front door was a large welcome sign in both English and
Spanish. This theme was repeated throughout the store.

Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was still America,
and that immigrants to this country should understand English if they wish
to live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.

Sears Essentials store is like that also.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Ahhh , must be time for a Big Box Bash-a-Thon....Been a few weeks so
I guess it's time...The Big Box Haters need an "atta boy" now and
then from other haters to keep that "warm and fuzzy feeling"
going...It most usually happens after passing a full Home Depot ,
Lowes or Walmart parking lot and they get that "left out feeling" or
feel they are missing something...An "atta boy" from others that
refuse to shop at the big boxes and a few BS horror stories (like the
one above) about past experiences and the left out feeling
dissipates , for a while.... Therapy for BBDS ..(Big Box Derangement
Syndrome)

So, someone describes poor service or selection at a particular store and
you launch into low-budget long-distance psycho-analysis of people you've
never met, not to mention dismissing their accounts as "BS" without
bothering to explain why they are unbelievable. Actually you've said more
about yourself than about the people you're attempting to sneer at.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
When the local Lowes went up earlier this year I stopped by to check it
out. On the front door was a large welcome sign in both English and
Spanish. This theme was repeated throughout the store.

Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was still America,
and that immigrants to this country should understand English if they wish
to live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.

Sears Essentials store is like that also.

They wouldn't do it if it didn't make a positive difference in their
bottom line. Even up north here, I see a lot of obviously
Hispanic-background folks in Lowe's (and other stores). In the
southernmost tier of states, if you are strawbossing a construction
site, you better speak at least some Spanish, or have an aide that does.
(or in the case of the hospitality industry, whoever heads up your
housekeeping department.) So if Lowe's standard signage for down there
needs to be bilingual, it makes sense for them to just have the default
setup for all the stores be that way. Like it or not, a large part of
the buying public in this country has Spanish as their primary language.
And not all of them are immigrants. Traditionally, maintaining the
'mother tongue' at home fades away by the third generation, but that was
when the 'melting pot' was the path most waves of immigrants followed.
Not all ethnic groups follow that practice.

Remember, in some areas of the country, Spanish was the 'official'
language well before English was. Us Anglos are the newcomers. I don't
know if Lowes is up in Quebec, but I suspect big-boxes up there have
English and French on their signs. I do know that in the Little Whatever
enclaves of big cities, stores have the language of the local ethnic
community on many of their signs.

--
aem sends, not finding the situation all that offensive....
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:58:37 -0700, Larry Caldwell wrote:
The big box stores didn't put the lumber yards out of business, but the
lumber yards around here close on weekends and at 5:30 PM. One yard used
to be the Saturday morning meeting place for hundreds of men in the
county, but too many weekend tinkerers go to the big box stores, so that
business is gone.

I don't know anyone who buys lumber from the big box stores. They carry
some specialty items, like 3/16 planed box stock, that is hard to find
anywhere else, but for studs, rafters, TJ-Is and trusses, a lumber yard is
the place to go, if you can't go directly to the truss manufacturer.

Lowes and Home Depot are in the home improvement business. Both of the
stores nearest to me have do have a traditional contractor counter, where
commercial customers can place an order, But that's not their emphasis.
Like Walmart, their target customer is the family. not primarily men or
women. The Lowes does have a pretty good common lumber selection. But
considering the amount of space it takes, I think it's there more as a
convenience than a profit center.

There probably would be a local Lowes opening soon were it not for a
bogged down permit process. If/when it is built, it will be interesting
to see how the local lumber yard does. They have to some extent prepared.
When some kids burned down their sales building a couple years ago, they
associated with Do-It-Best when they rebuilt. But they still operate in
behind-the-counter mode for most building materials. So I will probably
go to Lowes for my occasional lumber purchase because I will be able to
see/select what I'm buying.

Agreed on shrinking in-store selection. I've resorted to ordering
online with ship-to-store for several items this summer, with 75%
acceptable results. As for the butyl caulk, HD has it in the paint
department - DAP Gutter & Flashing; perhaps Lowes also does.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

[...]

So people should never report their big box experiences because you have
succumbed to all of their great marketing and you thing they are your
"friend" and no one should ever talk about your "friend"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:58:37 -0700, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

In article , nada (nada
) says...

[...]

One time I went to 84 Lumber and needed to buy several 2x4s. As I
sorted thorugh the boards associate approached me and said, "You can't
do that!" Hugh? He stated that I picked the best ones there would be
a useless pile of warped, waned, split, and twisted boards left. HD
or Lowes never does that. Guess who went out of business?
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Mint wrote:
On Sep 12, 7:48 pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

Odd, the problem that the OP describes is almost guaranteed when I go to
the Orange-Colored Store. The (much less convenient) Lowe's IME has
much better stock. However, I've pretty much given up on finding any
metric stainless hardware locally, even in the good non-chain stores
(which is awful handy for adding accessories to bicycles, for instance)
and have ended up buying in bulk from McMaster-Carr, thus ensuring that
I have 50 or 100 of an item that I only needed two of (but saves me
money and time on gas, and then I have a lifetime supply thereafter...)

Anyone need some 5 or 6mm stainless nylocs?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 10:20*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Mint" wrote in message

On Sep 12, 7:48 pm, "benick" wrote:

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

I live in Pearland, Texas and I have a Loew's and Home Depot within 5
miles.

I also have an ACE hardware where you get great service and good
advice and the employees aren't playing hide-and-seek when you are
looking for help. :-)

There are also another 2 locally owned hardware stores that have been
here at least 20 years.

It nice to go into a store and the employees smile and actually like
working there.

Hurricane Ike did a big number on the fences in my area, Friendswood,
Alvin, and Houston.
I have had plenty of fence jobs. :-)

Take care,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:58:37 -0700, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

In article , nada (nada
) says...

[...]

Agreed, at the end 84 was also pretty sad, and carried a very limited
line. Our 84 went away shortly after Menards opened up across the street
from Lowes. No traditional full-line yards left near here, just a couple
boutique places that specialize in high-end doors/windows or fancy
millwork, and only have a small supply of normal stuff. I assume they
survive on M-F crack-of-dawn business from the trade, because during the
few hours they are open when I can shop there, the parking lots are
always empty. A regional franchise, 'The Yard', tried to open up here a
few years ago. Selection was slanted to rural country folk houses or
pole barns, and prices were on the high side, but at least the small
showroom smelled like a real lumberyard. They went away when the
money-lenders imploded last year. I miss the Wolohans we used to have.
They tried to match the selection Lowes had on decorator frou-frou, and
cut back their selection of actual building materials, and the real
builders quit going there. They had been like a traditional yard, in an
industrial area and all, but they weren't that old. I think they were
the ones that made the local ma'n'pa yards that stored their framing
lumber in outside racks go under or become boutique specialty yards.

--
aem sends...

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Remember, in some areas of the country, Spanish was the
'official' language well before English was. Us Anglos are the
newcomers. I don't know if Lowes is up in Quebec, but I suspect
big-boxes up there have English and French on their signs. I do
know that in the Little Whatever enclaves of big cities, stores
have the language of the local ethnic community on many of their
signs.

up here in New England, most store signs were in American & Quebec
French (which is nothing like Parisian French) up until about 15-20
years ago. big box signs are in American/Spanish now, but i think the
French speakers still outnumber Spanish speakers.
lee
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:11:05 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Larry Caldwell wrote:
[...]

Jesus didn't speak English, either.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:11:05 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was still America, and
that immigrants to this country should understand English if they wish to
live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.

Immigration policy is the government's business.

Lowes business is selling stuff to anybody who wants to buy it, even those
who don't speak English, not determining immigration policy.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Where can you go then?
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

I had much the same impression, the couple time I've been in
Lowe's. I wish people would learn to speak American, which
is noticably different than English.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

When the local Lowes went up earlier this year I stopped by
to check it out.
On the front door was a large welcome sign in both English
and Spanish.
This theme was repeated throughout the store.

Now I'm pretty sure the last time I checked that this was
still America, and
that immigrants to this country should understand English if
they wish to
live here. Apparently not to the executives at Lowes.

I walked out of that store within five minutes of walking
into it, and I
will never set foot in it again.

Jon

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

He does in my Bible. But not the Jesus who wants to mow my
lawn.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Jesus didn't speak English, either.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote:
[...]

Your name does not look like a native Indian. America/Canada is melting
pot of multi culture. If you can't go to a store displaying multi
lingual, I think there won't be many stores you can visit world wide.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

I've pretty much given up on finding any
metric stainless hardware locally

Really? If you live in a city large enough to support a half dozen
machine shops, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tool and hardware
store dedicated to serving them. It'll be on a dead-end side street in
the industrial part of town. They'll have 100 or 1000 times the hardware
that your average big box has, but of course you'll have to go talk to
the guy at the counter to get it, because it won't be in little plastic
bags hanging on a customer-accessible pegboard.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

I've pretty much given up on finding any
metric stainless hardware locally

Really? If you live in a city large enough to support a half dozen
machine shops, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tool and hardware
store dedicated to serving them. It'll be on a dead-end side street in
the industrial part of town. They'll have 100 or 1000 times the hardware
that your average big box has, but of course you'll have to go talk to
the guy at the counter to get it, because it won't be in little plastic
bags hanging on a customer-accessible pegboard.

They have those around here. Open 0700-1600, M-F. Which is fine for
their main customers- Joe Blow civilian buying 20 bucks a year is at
best a nuisance to them anyway. You gotta know exactly what you want
when you walk in, though. Vendors to the trade may tolerate retail
customers, but no hand-holding is offered.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Where can you go then?

I go to the locally owned hardware store; they carry ACE stuff. If I want
paint, I go to a locally owned paint store.

Better prices, better products, and the money stays in the local economy.

If you want to move to this country, great. Do it legally, learn English,
and welcome to America.

Jon

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jesus didn't speak English, either.

Yeah, but look what happened to Him.

Or maybe it was because He was a carpenter...