Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ever built anything with Kee Lite Klamps?

see link

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pr...-kee-lite.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:43*am, wrote:
see link

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pr...-kee-lite.html

Yes, I started using them in the 80's.

I've not built a large number of things but I have built a few things.

Mostly temporary structures

I used / use this mfrs products

http://www.hollaender.com/

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:43*am, wrote:
see link

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pr...-kee-lite.html

I think I see where you're headed.

You're going to need 1 1/4 aluminum pipe ( for the long members) to
get the stiffness / strength you'll need for a scaffold system.

For your shorter members you might be able to use 1".

One problem with these setscrew assembled systems is that they can
"rack" if your don't use diagonal struts / members.
A combined screw together / welded system is what oyu want (got
someone who can weld aluminum for you?)

I was somewhere when I saw a really cool light weight (I hefted it)
aluminum scaffold system. I dont recall the mfr but it was pretty
neat & looked $$$$"s expensive.

As others commented in the other thread....watch out for that back.
I've had back issues for YEARS & surgery 10 years.
I was lucky & recovered well but I try to be very careful.

Is your back thing a recent / sudden injury or a long term thing?

Lifting ANY decent weight above the shoulders (even the waist if your
back situation is really bad) can aggravate or re-injure your back

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:

I think I see where you're headed.

Well, actually I was thinking abt using aluminum pipe
and kee klamps to make a platform bed or reg bed setup.
Hee hee.

I have this weird idea of creating an internal skeleton
for a room so as to hang monitors, lights etc..... yet
still be able to take it all apart and move easily

Not really thinking abt using it for a scaffold system
tho

You're going to need 1 1/4 aluminum pipe ( for the long members) to
get the stiffness / strength you'll need for a scaffold system.

What abt conduit.....thick wall? Is that the same as
aluminum pipe?

A combined screw together / welded system is what oyu want (got
someone who can weld aluminum for you?)

No I don't know anyone that can weld and I sure cant
myself!

Bottom line, I'm kind of an experimenter and looking
for quick easy ways to build strong yet light
structures that can be broken apart for easy transport

Is your back thing a recent / sudden injury or a long term thing?

I am 51 yr old male.... recently diagnosed with
rheumatoid arthritis in spine. sigh
Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:

I used / use this mfrs products

http://www.hollaender.com/

Is it better than Kee Klamps?

Or basically the same thing?

Would a Lowe's or Home Depot have these devices or are
the mail order only?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 4:50*pm, wrote:
fftt wrote:
I used / use this mfrs products

http://www.hollaender.com/

Is it better than Kee Klamps?

Or basically the same thing?

Would a Lowe's or Home Depot have these devices or are
the mail order only?

If my memory serves me Kee Klamps were originally a cast iron
product....I bought a handful of 2 way slip through post cap Tee's to
make pickup truck frame that I could easily take apart.

The aluminum fittings that I have experience with are the www.hollaender.com
ones.

I cannot vouch for the Kee Klamps aluminum ones but I assume they must
be competitive.........

I've never seen these types of fittings at HD (but I've never looked).

I get mine when I need them from a metal distributor (IMS in Socal)
or from McMaster...usually they're for a commercial job so time is
more important than mat'l cost.
I think McMaster 's prices are comparable or cheaper but I can get the
fittings from my distributor the same day with a 5 mile drive.
Mail order online would be slower but would probably have a more
complete selection than McMaster or IMS

I've used them to build light weight support frames or used them as
starting point for a custom machined part.

Aluminum rigid conduit has the same dimensions as Sch 40 steel pipe

I made a climbing structure for my kids out of 3/4" aluminum conduit
(pipe) to augment a swing set I made out of ~3" aluminum conduit that
I dumpster dove.

Depending on the loads & the spans....3/4" aluminum conduit (pipe)
might do the job.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
fftt wrote:

[...]

2x4s and deck screws/carriage bolts are a lot cheaper. I helped build a
lot of dorm room/tiny apartment furniture that way back in college. For
shelves and bed platforms, pieces of 1x or ply held in place with short
drywall screws. Try to avoid cutting any pieces if possible, to maximize
reuse possibilities the following year in the next domicile.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 4:48*pm, wrote:
fftt wrote:
[...]

Your original post got me thinking about the swing set I built years
ago.

I rummaged through the garage & and found the bunch of fittings I held
onto after I disasembled the swing set.
They are for 3/4" steel or aluminum pipe (1.050" od).

I had them black hard anodized to improve their corrosion resistance &
I fitted them with SS setscrews.
Some are a little bit faded from sun exposure but most are jet black

I would be willing to sell them at a DEEP discount to new prices.

Rough inventory about 30 T's, 2 end mounts, 4 Elbows, 10 side mounts &
a handful of swivel bases.

private email me if you're interested

cheers
Bob

built in or built under single oven? benpost UK diy 4 January 25th 08 06:37 PM
MC-lite Toller Home Repair 3 July 6th 07 09:03 PM
Mag-lite, again C & E Home Repair 15 December 13th 05 11:36 PM
Factory built home vs. traditional site built home Todd Home Ownership 10 January 9th 04 01:23 PM
Shop Built Wide belt sander vs Shop Built Drum sander....Whats easyer to make. Im no engineer. mememme Woodworking 0 August 25th 03 03:01 PM