Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 stopped

My Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 suddenly stopped working. At
first, I heard the usual "click" but the motor made a humming sound
instead of moving the door. I removed the cover and gave the pulley a
shove and the motor kicked on and closed the door. Now all it makes is a
single "click" when I push the button to open it. Is this the symptom of a
bad motor or something else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

leeman88 wrote:
My Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 suddenly stopped working. At
first, I heard the usual "click" but the motor made a humming sound
instead of moving the door. I removed the cover and gave the pulley a
shove and the motor kicked on and closed the door. Now all it makes is a
single "click" when I push the button to open it. Is this the symptom of a
bad motor or something else?

Hi,
If the motor starts with a little shove, does it have a capacitor?
That cap. may be shot. Thibk click is the sound of motor start relay.
No owner's manual? Maybe it's online at Sears web site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:35:20 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

leeman88 wrote:
My Sears Garage Door Opener Model 139-653000 suddenly stopped working. At
first, I heard the usual "click" but the motor made a humming sound
instead of moving the door. I removed the cover and gave the pulley a
shove and the motor kicked on and closed the door. Now all it makes is a
single "click" when I push the button to open it. Is this the symptom of a
bad motor or something else?

Hi,
Maybe relay?

A very common failure of these units is the plastic gearset. The
plastic dries out and the teeth strip of like corn off a cob. The
motor turning without the gears there is very quiet. Your gears may
have some teethe left which is why you were able to "give it a kick"
and get it to go. It may have simply stopped on a section with no
teeth and you advanced it a little to where it could find some.

They sell a kit to replace the gears. There are places online where
you can order it. Easy enough to diagnose. Just take the cover off the
drive unit and see what is going on - or not.