Posted to alt.home.repair

Default grill as a fire pit

Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

Possibly. Grills are built and rated for specific maximum temperatures.
If you exceed that temp on yours, either by overloading it or burning
the wrong material, you risk failure and collapse of the grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it out
I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount and
weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper fire pit
but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it as a fire
pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

Does you municipality or local gov't have any regulations or bylaws on fire
pits and what can and cannot be burned?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should work fine. I've also seen people use a large steel
tire rim. Note that I said steel. Aluminum or magnesium
won't work properly.

I've heard not to burn pressure treated wood. It has arsenic
in it. Construction scrap is likely to be white pine, which
puts out a lot of creosote. Fire pit should work well.
Fireplace or wood stove, it would cresosote deposit your
chimney.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather
than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on
trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have
a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong
with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 10:52*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

I didnt know nails burned, well you learn something every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it out
I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount and
weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper fire pit
but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it as a fire
pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

Tons of wood, burn in a grill, got a few months of 24x7 to do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 10:52*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

We have a campfire on the patio about three nights a week in a grill
bowl, works great, just watch out if it has plastic wheels and an
ember falls on the wheel it will melt a wheel. And train the kids to
keep the fire going without smoke, its good for em, and it lets the
adults BS longer. You'll need some nice cold Bohemian beer to go with
that fire too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

I didnt know nails burned, well you learn something every day.

All metals will burn if you get them hot enough and supply enough
oxygen. A wood fire is not nearly hot enough to burn nails. An
acetylene torch with the oxygen turned up would burn nails. Triple
zero steel wool will burn very easily and can be used as tinder.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using
it as a fire pit?

Alternative:

Dig a rectangular pit about 3' deep. Pile all your stuff in there and set it
alight.

When its burned down to coals pitch in a dismembered pig wrapped in foil and
cover the whole business with a layer of dirt.

Come back in about six hours wearing grass skirts and carrying drinks that
have umbrellas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it out
I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount and
weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper fire pit
but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it as a fire
pit?

Yes and no. In small sets (dont let it get too high!) and set on a burn
safe flooring (incase you let it get too high and burns through) it can be
done. It's just a sort of higher fire pit afterall with a thinner bottom.

I'd be more concerned about the wood. Pre-treated 'PT' wood isn't good to
burn. Combination of dangerous chemicals to breathe as well as I think
dangerous to the environment when burned (they degrade ok in landfill
though). I;m not sure that burning would leave a suitable soot for the
composte if growing food with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:52:36 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I have a ton of scraps from home construction and rather than throw it
out I'd like to burn it. (Many reasons: nails, limits on trash amount
and weight, would use soot on my compost pile.) I don't have a proper
fire pit but I do have a large bowl grill. Anything wrong with using it
as a fire pit?

Thanks,

Aaron

Usually burning wood in a grill will ruin it due to the longer-lasting
higher temperatures. The burning wood will also bend the grate used
for cooking. Too much ash in the compost is not good either, it will
make it alkaline. You can alway bury the scraps.