Posted to alt.home.repair

Default POPCORN CEILING REPAIR

I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 24, 11:58*am, JIMMIE wrote:
I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to *texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

With your kind of luck you should buy more lottery tickets G.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 9:58*am, JIMMIE wrote:
I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to *texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

Using foodstuffs? Uhh... I hope it doesn't start growing something.
Was there no crushed foam pellets or kitty litter available to smash
into a skimcoat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't that stuff awful!

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dymphna" wrote in message
news

Isn't that stuff awful!

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Yes it is....Patching it is nearly impossible...It will ALWAYS show....

What happens when the popcorn decays..I'm sure the grease helped too...Give
it a few weeks and THEN tell us how it worked out.....They do sell the right
stuff ya know....LOL...Sometimes I really wonder......................

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that the popcorn or perhaps more properly sprayed acoustical texture
was an idea that was not too good. When I need to deal with one of these
buggers, first I will poke it a bit with my finger to see if the stuff is
hard or if it will come off easily.

If hard I just roll paint over it, if soft I use a floor scraper and remove
it.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE;3007313 Wrote:
I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

I've seen a lot of repairs that just didn't make the grade on that
stuff. On our first house, we had some water damage to such a ceiling
and instead of trying to match it up, simply took down all the popcorn
(steam brings it down quite easily) and re-did the entire ceiling with a
paint/sand mix.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 3:53*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Dymphna" wrote in message

news

Isn't that stuff awful!

--
Dymphna
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

Yes it is....Patching it is nearly impossible...It will ALWAYS show....

What happens when the popcorn decays..I'm sure the grease helped too...Give
it a few weeks and THEN tell us how it worked out.....They do sell the right
stuff ya know....LOL...Sometimes I really wonder......................

Wel lthe popcorn is the kind they use for packing sometimes( yes real
popcorn) its been sitting in a box for two years so I figure it is not
going to mold.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen a lot of repairs that just didn't make the grade on that
stuff. On our first house, we had some water damage to such a ceiling
and instead of trying to match it up, simply took down all the popcorn
(steam brings it down quite easily) and re-did the entire ceiling with a
paint/sand mix.

-- Rik

The only real cure for popcorn ceilings is removal.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 4:34*pm, Rik Brown Rik.Brown.3xf...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
JIMMIE;3007313 Wrote:

I had a spot on a textured ceiling that needed repair so to *texture
the patch I sprayed a liitle paint on it to act as an adhesive then
literally placed crushed popcorn on it. Sprayed some more paint on it
to seal it up and it looks great.

Jimmie

I've seen a lot of repairs that just didn't make the grade on that
stuff. On our first house, we had some water damage to such a ceiling
and instead of trying to match it up, simply took down all the popcorn
(steam brings it down quite easily) and re-did the entire ceiling with a
paint/sand mix.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

Ive done that too but that was more than I could handle right now. If
my little patch last a year I will be happy but I think its going to
hang in there. It felt pretty solid after the paint dried.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had it in the house we used to have. They do sell patch kits for them.
But you can't do a thing with them - cleaning it is almost impossible. I
have known a few people to paint them, but it really soaks up the paint!

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

I've seen a lot of repairs that just didn't make the grade on that
stuff. On our first house, we had some water damage to such a ceiling
and instead of trying to match it up, simply took down all the
popcorn (steam brings it down quite easily) and re-did the entire
ceiling with a paint/sand mix.

-- Rik

The only real cure for popcorn ceilings is removal.

Steve

True. I've done that one.

But also want to mention this previous post of mine. Repairs often only
noticed by me or if it's pointed out to someone.

Subject: Popcorn ceiling
Newsgroups: PeoplePC:alt.home.repair
To: in2dadark

in2dadark wrote in news:25aefee7-6fd0-455b-96d8-
:

There are a couple of spots on my popcorn ceiling that lost its pop.
Can I repair this with spackle and a sponge or do they sell somehthing
more specific for this.?
Thanks.

The sprays are expensive and a real crapshoot. I found the product below
at the Blue Borg. It works quite well if you ask me considering the low
rate of success most have fixing popcorn. Premixed. The popcorn itself
is actually polystyrene chips. Matching is just a matter of how good you
get at doing it. Dab on with a cheap paint brush. Don't like what you're
getting just wipe it off with wet rag. Let it dry and paint with ceiling
paint. Paid 5 bucks for a qt. Goes a long way. Wish I found it long ago
actually.

http://homaxproducts.com/products/texture/14/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in
:

Newsgroups: PeoplePC:alt.home.repair
To: in2dadark

[...]

True but it's still just a bandaid that sticks out like a sore thumb on a
crappy cheap looking cheesey 80's condo ceiling covering up a bad drywall
job and EVERYONE seeing it will think that....IMHO.....A little more effort
and the problem goes away and you have a good looking ceiling....Flat and
smooth so you can touch up or patch and re-paint at will....JMHO...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 5:01*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 24, 3:53*pm, "benick" wrote:

"Dymphna" wrote in message

news

Isn't that stuff awful!

--
Dymphna
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

Yes it is....Patching it is nearly impossible...It will ALWAYS show....

What happens when the popcorn decays..I'm sure the grease helped too...Give
it a few weeks and THEN tell us how it worked out.....They do sell the right
stuff ya know....LOL...Sometimes I really wonder......................

Wel lthe popcorn is the kind they use for packing sometimes( yes real
popcorn) its been sitting in a box for two years so I figure it is not
going to mold.

Jimmie

I tried another spot useing some packing peanuts run through a food
processor instead of real popcorn. That works too, a heck of a lot
better that any kit I have ever tried.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 12:40*am, "benick" wrote:

True but it's still just a bandaid that sticks out like a sore thumb on a
crappy cheap looking cheesey 80's condo ceiling covering up a bad drywall
job and EVERYONE seeing it will think that....IMHO.....

It looks even worse in a 1948 house with a cove ceiling. And then
glitter
sprayed on top.

I should say "looked", because I scraped that crap off the first year
I was in
the house. I'm grateful that the previous owner was a lazy *******.
He never
painted the popcorn, and it was a breeze to wet down and scrape off.
It
revealed the original skim coat of plaster, which had a few cracks in
it and
still looked better than that glittered popcorn.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
[...]

Un-painted is pretty easy..LOL...Most aren't that lucky though..I'm doing a
complete reno now that had popcorn ceilings painted MANY times....The home
owner asked if it could be patched (old speaker holes , different cabinet
layout , ect.) and I told him I wouldn't touch it because it would never
look right and I'm not coming back a dozen times for free to try to make it
better cuz it never will...I gave him 2 options...1) Pay me 25 bucks an hour
to scrape it down , patch it and skimcoat it , or 2) hang 1/4 sheetrock over
the whole mess..He chose to hang the 1/4 inch rock and do it himself to save
money....I provided the how to advice for free...I will be taping it as well
as skimming the old walls....Everyone is happy..He gets a new ceiling and
stays on budget and I GOT THE JOB....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 9:22*am, "benick" wrote:

Un-painted is pretty easy..LOL...Most aren't that lucky though..I'm doing a
complete reno now that had popcorn ceilings painted MANY times....The home

The other thing that people forget is that often times, the popcorn
texture has asbestos in it. You don't just scrape it off, willy-
nilly.

Painting is often done just to seal the asbestos in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in
:

Newsgroups: PeoplePC:alt.home.repair
To: in2dadark

[...]

Don't disagree with you on that. What I pointed out is just something that
works best for me in some places where it's a SMALL eyesore into acceptable
for the case/person.

As mentioned, I've been down the scrape and redo road as well. It was the
only acceptable route in that case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in
:

On Aug 25, 9:22*am, "benick" wrote:

Un-painted is pretty easy..LOL...Most aren't that lucky though..I'm
doing

complete reno now that had popcorn ceilings painted MANY times....The
hom

The other thing that people forget is that often times, the popcorn
texture has asbestos in it. You don't just scrape it off, willy-
nilly.

Painting is often done just to seal the asbestos in.

Awwww, a little grit never hurt anybody :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green;3008023 Wrote:
Awwww, a little grit never hurt anybody :-)

I love the Red Green Show LOLq

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dymphna wrote:
Red Green;3008023 Wrote:
Awwww, a little grit never hurt anybody :-)

I love the Red Green Show LOLq

"loved"...sadly, 'tis no more new episodes as he retired (at least
temporarily). Written a book (! ) and guess are some DVDs, etc., but
the TV show is finis...

Popcorn ceiling in2dadark Home Repair 9 December 30th 08 06:46 PM
popcorn ceiling repair chamaman Home Ownership 2 June 3rd 07 02:35 AM
Popcorn ceiling question Steve S. Home Repair 11 April 20th 05 03:26 PM
Painting popcorn ceiling Bob Home Repair 24 January 24th 05 01:57 AM
Popcorn ceiling barry martin Home Repair 4 July 19th 03 01:42 AM