Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Liftmaster garage door opener

A few days ago, my aunt had to use the wall button to lower her garage
door. Both remotes would raise it but not lower it. Now, after a few
days of using the wall button, she finds that the remotes will again
close it.

The same thing happened last year. She thinks it may be the humidity.
What could it be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
A few days ago, my aunt had to use the wall button to lower her garage
door. Both remotes would raise it but not lower it. Now, after a few
days of using the wall button, she finds that the remotes will again
close it.

The same thing happened last year. She thinks it may be the humidity.
What could it be?

I would look at the receiver, just inside the back cover.
http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Pho...e=10-41AS050R1

Item 10 on page 34 of the Owners Manual:
http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...px?modelId=853

Sounds like you may have a hairline crack that flexes under temperature.
You could take it apart and carefully reflow every connection
that appears likely, or pay the 60 bux and replace the receiver
or pay 200 bux and replace the whole unit.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28...px?SKU=5056767

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 22:20:29 -0400, E Z Peaces
wrote:

A few days ago, my aunt had to use the wall button to lower her garage
door. Both remotes would raise it but not lower it. Now, after a few
days of using the wall button, she finds that the remotes will again
close it.

The same thing happened last year. She thinks it may be the humidity.
What could it be?

The floor mounted safety sensor beam may be impeded. Clean the lenses.

Additionally when the lens gets cloudy if the sunlight can hit the
lens directly it can mask the beam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 03:43:53 -0500, Mike Paulsen

wrote:

A few days ago, my aunt had to use the wall button to lower her garage
door. Both remotes would raise it but not lower it. Now, after a few
days of using the wall button, she finds that the remotes will again
close it.

The same thing happened last year. She thinks it may be the humidity.
What could it be?

The floor mounted safety sensor beam may be impeded. Clean the lenses.

Additionally when the lens gets cloudy if the sunlight can hit the
lens directly it can mask the beam.

The 'wall button' will close the door, so it isn't sensing an obstruction.

The wall button is suppose to override the sensors and close the door.