Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reolacement top for toilet

A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to
the toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel
#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Glue it together or build a wooden one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remember, he wants to buy a new one. He didn't ask if he could glue it
together, or a source for wooden one. He said that he wanted to buy a new
one. Did you actually read the OP ??

James
--------------------------------

Glue it together or build a wooden one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Just the lid, you could patch and cover with a doily or something.
Whole top, probably need new toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American
Standard. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a
replacement top locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or
over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Just the lid, you could patch and cover with a doily or something.
Whole top, probably need new toilet.

ISTR seeing somewhere on the web a web site selling used toilet parts.
that might be your best bet. I'm too lazy to DAGS for it at the moment...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:05:35 -0400, EJ Willson

A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to
the toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel

Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

I'd call Crane and a couple of plumbing supply houses and see if they
have an old one in a warehouse someplace. Ya' never know )
Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Every time I go to a Habitat for Humanity thrift store or a place that
processes tear down houses, I'm amazed at the number of toilets they
accumulate, you could buy the whole thing for a few dollars take the
parts you want and donate the remainder back to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I owned rental property it was not unusual for a tenant to break the
top of a toilet tank. (Don't know how they did it)

Take the broken one to an appliance recycler who sells old appliances,
toilets, bathtubs etc. Commonly found in the less affluent parts of town.

I always found an old cover that fit. Easier and cheaper than
buying/installing a new toilet.

You can then deduct the price of a toilet from the security deposit. (How to
get rich in ten easy lessons.)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"EJ Willson" wrote in message
m...
A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to the
toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel #4490,
1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was bought by
Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard. Can anyone
offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top locally here
in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Google 'replacement toilet tank lids'. There are several companies out
there that carry NOS, salvage, and 'universal' lids. Here is one at
random that shows your number.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tanklids_overstock.html . At the price
they want, I'd be tempted to replace the whole thing with a fresh one.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:20:31 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX
wrote:

Every time I go to a Habitat for Humanity thrift store or a place that
processes tear down houses, I'm amazed at the number of toilets they
accumulate, you could buy the whole thing for a few dollars take the
parts you want and donate the remainder back to them.

I've actually made it a point to visit stores in various travels. San
Diego, Saranac Lake, NY and a few others. Many times you find what you
need locally.

Interesting places to visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try SEARS.
They used to huge into replacement parts, and they were a big supplier of
Universal Rundle once upon a time.

HTH

"EJ Willson" wrote in message
m...
A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to the
toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel #4490,
1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was bought by
Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard. Can anyone
offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top locally here
in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

EJ

You need to ask around the smaller plumbing suppliers. We have a few here in
Arizona that keep the tops from damaged toilets. Many will fit close enough
to work.They usually charge $20-$40. I always keep a few around from when
we replace toilets. HD sells a plastic universal top but it is ****ing ugly.

cm

"EJ Willson" wrote in message
m...
A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to the
toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel #4490,
1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was bought by
Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard. Can anyone
offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top locally here
in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EJ Willson" wrote in message
m...
A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to the
toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel #4490,
1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was bought by
Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard. Can anyone
offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top locally here
in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

If you can't find it at a local salvage yard or some of the other sources
people have offered up, try Adam and Eve Salvage in West Palm Beach. They
have a field of toilets (literally!) and could probably find what you want -
they're starting an internet business. They're at
http://www.adamandevesalvage.com/.

When we remodelled we sold them our old colored toilet fixtures for $5.00
ea. - beats leaving them at curbside for the trashman.

Anyone in southeast Florida, this is an interesting place to visit. We
bought a pallet of oriental ceramic roof tiles from them and some other odds
and ends. They've got stuff from old mansions, theaters, street lamps,
oversize doors. Even though their things are a little pricey, I don't
understand their business model that keeps them going --

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 5:43*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
When I owned rental property it was not unusual for a tenant to break the
top of a toilet tank. (Don't know how they did it)

Round here we would suspect, in certain rentals, it was taking off the
cover to remove the extra beer stashed in there. And then 'perhaps'
dropping it!

The top that is; not the beer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stop prevaricating; all good suggestions.
PS. Remove picture. Pictures in bathroom; sheesh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

#4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was
bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard.
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top
locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

What a lot of suggestions..thanks to everyone. I'll try the local
"salvage" yards, and if necessary then I think I'll order it from e-bay.

Thanks again,

EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:
On Aug 22, 5:43 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
When I owned rental property it was not unusual for a tenant to break the
top of a toilet tank. (Don't know how they did it)

Round here we would suspect, in certain rentals, it was taking off the
cover to remove the extra beer stashed in there. And then 'perhaps'
dropping it!

The top that is; not the beer!

Doubt it was beer- only a couple cans fit in there. More likely a
double-layer baggie or two. Why they think that is a good hiding place,
I will never understand- one of the first places the cops check. I could
understand keeping it near the toilet for a fast (albeit expensive)
jettison when needed, but IN the toilet?

Standard disclaimer, no, I don't do recreational drugs, nor advocate
them for anyone else. But I did grow up in the 70s. You couldn't help
learning some things.

--
aem sends...