DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   help with removing faucet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/285108-help-removing-faucet.html)

internaughtfull August 20th 09 03:18 PM

help with removing faucet

Hi,

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

thx

itchy

Don Phillipson[_3_] August 20th 09 03:30 PM

help with removing faucet

"internaughtfull" wrote in message

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

Do you suppose they were tightened by a socket wrench?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

SteveB[_9_] August 20th 09 04:28 PM

help with removing faucet

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"internaughtfull" wrote in message

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

Do you suppose they were tightened by a socket wrench?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

They make a special T handled wrench that has an opening that looks like
Channel Lock pliers. Any plumbing supply house, Home depot or yard sale.
Called a basin wrench.

Steve

Chris Hill[_2_] August 21st 09 03:36 AM

help with removing faucet

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:18:02 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull
wrote:

Hi,

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

If it is like the ones I dealt with a while back, the nut is
surrounded by a metal piece so closely that a socket won't fit. If
that is the case, get a socket that almost fits, hold it on and beat
it until it stays. Yes it sucked! At least I didn't break the sink.

internaughtfull August 24th 09 08:16 AM

help with removing faucet

wrote:
Hi,

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

If it is like the ones I dealt with a while back, the nut is
surrounded by a metal piece so closely that a socket won't fit. *If
that is the case, get a socket that almost fits, hold it on and beat
it until it stays. *Yes it sucked! At least I didn't break the sink.

Discovered that a cordless drill and a basic wood/metal/plastic bit
can drill thru the nut in two spots which allows easy removal with
needlenose pliers. The T bar on the basin wrench got bent with an
extension it was stuck so tightly. Anyway, the brass nut drills thru
fairly easily.

Smitty Two August 25th 09 05:43 PM

help with removing faucet

In article
,
internaughtfull wrote:

Hi,

Any advice on using basin wrench/break away spray to get
the mounting nuts off an old sink? TNT? I can't see how they
would get these things on that tight to begin with, they are
so recessed.

thx

itchy

Yeah, turn counterclockwise. Since you're upside down, it's easy to get
confused as to which direction that actually is.

And ditch google.