Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Tractor Engine Problem

I have a 15 Hp Simplicity garden tractor with a Kohler engine. This
machine is about 13 years old and I have had it since it was new.

I went out to mow the grass this weekend and the engine died on me
after about a half an hour. It just suddenly stopped and made a couple
of small back-firing noises.

I noticed it did still have a few inches of gas in the tank but I
topped off the tank with fresh gas anyway. But before I put more gas
in it I took off the fuel filter and noticed there wasn't much gas
flow from the tank. I blew out the filter with air pressure and re-
installed the fuel filter. It still wouldn't start even after adding
more gas to the tank.

I poured a little bit of gas in the carburetor and it still wouldn't
fire. I spent some time trying to get the hydrostatic transmission
release lever to disengage so I could push it back into the garage but
never got that to work so I left it alone for a while.

After a few hours, I went out and it started right up. It ran good for
15 minutes and then quit again. I left it in the yard until yesterday
morning. It started right away and I pulled it into the garage. While
I was out and about yesterday, I picked up a new fuel filter and
installed it just in case that would help.

I started mowing the yard with it again today and had the same
problems. It ran good for about a half hour and quit. I waited a few
hours and it started and quit again after about 15 minutes.

I was very hot Sunday when this started but not as hot today and even
cooler this afternoon. But I'm still wondering if it has a vapor lock
problem.

Anybody got any more ideas I can try?

Thanks, David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 8:37*pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

Check if it gets spark just after it dies, you know how, pull plug
wire and get it close while someone tries to start it, ive had coils
and ignition modules fail only when hot, then completely fail later.
Look at it run in dark with the coil exposed if possible , mine had a
crack and I could see it arching to ground, a new coil also gave it
more power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 8:37*pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a problem I had with a John Deere. It turned out to
be the fuel tank was full of crap in the sump where the pickup tube
operates. I had to pull the tank and flush it several times to fix it,
but now it runs like a deer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Van Chocstraw wrote:
hibb wrote:
[...]

You fuel line is clogged and the tank is probably full of crap. Are you
careful not to let the dirt and grass from the top of the can fall into
the tank when you fuel up? That's what people do. Fill the tank full of
crap and wonder why it stops running.

If that's the case, why does it run fine after it cools off, until it gets hot
again?

That points to an electrical problem, not a fuel problem. To the OP: the
problem is almost certainly in the electronic ignition module. Replace that,
and the problem will go away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

If the tank was run near empty, drain the carb bowl and the fuel pump as
they probably have water in them now. It may not be the whole problem,
but it's one I've seen before and a good starting point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

I can only offer that the crap moves around, & will settle once the 15
minutes has passed. Mine did exactly what the OP describes, sometimes
it would run and mow 15 - 30 minutes, sometimes it wouldn't make it
out of the garage. My final diagnostic tool was a spare tank salvaged
from a long dead mower. I hooked it up in the console area and filled
it with gas. The mower came to life instantly & mowed for a solid
hour, at which point I took it to the shop and pulled the fender
assembly and removed the tank. An amazing amount of crap came out. I
used diesel as a solvent, & followed up with compressed air, other
methods would likely work as well
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

I have a John Deere tractor with a Kohler engine. It did almost the
exact same thing as yours. Its start up , run for a few minutes and
then lose power and run rough. Let it sit for a while and it'd do the
same thing.

It cost $250 to replace one of the coils. I guess there are 2 coils
with associated electronics. One of them died under high temps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

I appreciate the other suggestions and will take them seriously but I
think I will start with what Ransley suggested and check run it until
it stops again and check if it is getting a spark.

The reason I want to do that first is because it would not fire up at
all when I poured a bit of fuel right into the carburetor. If it is
getting a spark, then I will go back to the possibility of a fuel
supply problem.

Thanks, David
Posted to alt.home.repair

hibb wrote:
[...]

On my vehicle, the tank fill cap is under the seat and stays pretty
clean. I am going to check the plug for spark first but I will keep
what you said in mind too if I don't see a problem with the
electrical.

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Tractor Engine Problem (OT)

hibb wrote:

[...]

Y'know, I just don't think they are making ignition coils that are as
good as the ones from way back when.

I drive a 2004 6 cylinder engine Lincoln LS with less than 45K miles on
it and during the last year I've had to replace all 6 of the coils under
the hood

Well, maybe my trusted auto mechanic might have replaced a couple of
"still OK" coils in the process, but I had to bring the car into his
shop three times during the year, when the engine began stumbling under
load again, to get yet another coil replaced.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 8:37 pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

I bought a new Deere and it did the same thing. They took it back and
changed the seat. Told me the seat switch was bad.

They first told me it could be trash in the gas. I doubted that as I bought
a new 5 gallon gas can and filled it up on the way home. The gas was less
than an hour out of the pump. If it was any bad stuff in the gas it had to
come from the Deere place and be the small ammount they used to deliver it
with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 8:37*pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

Even if you see a spark it could be to weak to fire under load, ive
have motors that idle but missfire when given gas, so a weak spark is
still bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas in the carb rules out the cruddy tank option. I'd
suspect heat related problem. Bad ignition coil insulation
comes to mind. Also option of valve seats may be burned, and
the valves aren't completely closing with a hot engine. Much
less likely is burnt to death motor oil.

The diagnosis needed, is to get the engine hot enough to
fail. Pop the spark wire, and check for spark (ask, if you
don't know the procedure). Also check for compression while
the engine is in failure. That will help determine if it's
spark or valve problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

I poured a little bit of gas in the carburetor and it
still wouldn't
fire. I spent some time trying to get the hydrostatic
transmission
release lever to disengage so I could push it back into
the garage but
never got that to work so I left it alone for a while.

After a few hours, I went out and it started right up. It
ran good for
15 minutes and then quit again. I left it in the yard
until yesterday

That sounds like a problem I had with a John Deere. It
turned out to
be the fuel tank was full of crap in the sump where the
pickup tube
operates. I had to pull the tank and flush it several times
to fix it,
but now it runs like a deer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, why didn't it run with a splash of gas into the carb?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message

You fuel line is clogged and the tank is probably full of
crap. Are you
careful not to let the dirt and grass from the top of the
can fall into
the tank when you fuel up? That's what people do. Fill the
tank full of
crap and wonder why it stops running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets hope the OP tells us what he found. Either could be a
cause of this problem. Since he tried a splash of gas, I'm
doubting fuel problems.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope that new coil had gold plated contacts, and that you
got kissed after you paid the bill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dicko" wrote in message

I have a John Deere tractor with a Kohler engine. It did
almost the
exact same thing as yours. Its start up , run for a few
minutes and
then lose power and run rough. Let it sit for a while and
it'd do the
same thing.

It cost $250 to replace one of the coils. I guess there are
2 coils
with associated electronics. One of them died under high
temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 9:37�pm, hibb wrote:
[...]

Before you buy expensive electronic modules, coils, stators, carbs,
pumps and such, CHANGE the spark plug. Don't check to see if it is
getting spark because many times they can show spark and run fine,
only to fail a minute later and then work fine after another few
seconds.

2 days ago a guy brought me a John Deere Gator 4X2 to fix. It would
start and run great for a minute or two, then die, then start right
back up for a minute or two. It would idle forever. AFter checking the
fuel delivery system ( it was fine), I replaced the spark plug and it
ran fine for my test drive of a few miles. $3 part and $35 labor and
he was on his way.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good idea. Champion had a run of bad CJ8 plugs, I remember
from way back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 7:28*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:37 pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

Well, today's the day for me to get serious about diagnosing the
problem. If I determine it is in the electronics, I will start with
replacing the cheaper parts like plugs first and move on.

I will report what I find.

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 11:19�am, Shy Picker wrote:

Well, today's the day for me to get serious about diagnosing the
problem. If I determine it is in the electronics, I will start with
replacing the cheaper parts like plugs first and move on.

I will report what I find.

Thanks, David-

Let me know what you discover. I'll try to help.

Hank