Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete question

Plan to pour concrete slab and build on top of slab...One row of concrete
blocks. The question I have - will mortar anchor blocks to concrete? or
should I put some anchors to tie blocks to concrete? How is this typically
done? TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is for shed and it is in "frost country" 42" frost line........the
concrete will be 4 1/2 inches with a 12" rat wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:45*pm, wrote:
Plan to pour concrete slab and build on top of slab...One row of concrete
blocks. The question I have - will mortar anchor blocks to concrete?

"Anchor" is somewhat of a vague term, but that's what they use to set
bricks.

should I put some anchors to tie blocks to concrete?

If you're in an earthquake zone code might require it.

How is this typically
done?

As cheap as possible.

I think you may planning a project more than a tad beyond your level
of expertise. Unless you're building the most structurally
significant doghouse on the planet I don't think laying block is a DIY-
type thing.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

This is for shed and it is in "frost country" 42" frost line........the
concrete will be 4 1/2 inches with a 12" rat wall.

Dave, if you mean the ground freezes to 42 inches deep, you will not get
away with a mere 4 1/2 inch deep pour. Thats only for southern areas well
below the freezing zone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gpsman" wrote in message
.. I
don't think laying block is a DIY-type thing.

Sure it is but what I wonder is why he's only using ONE row of block. Then,
is there a bottom plate and stud wall above (attached to) that ?

Ifso, why use ONE row of block at all ..whynot just put the bottom plate
right on the concrete (with a gasket of some sort of course, in between)
with anchor bolts as in common construction practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
"gpsman" wrote in message
.. I
don't think laying block is a DIY-type thing.

Sure it is but what I wonder is why he's only using ONE row of block. Then,
is there a bottom plate and stud wall above (attached to) that ?

Ifso, why use ONE row of block at all ..whynot just put the bottom plate
right on the concrete (with a gasket of some sort of course, in between)
with anchor bolts as in common construction practice.

To keep the sill plate out of the puddled water or half-melted snow, of
course. Exterior wood wall should never rest directly on a slab. Always
give gravity a chance to take the water elsewhere. And even with a
gasket (which fails at some point), having sill at floor level almost
guarantees wet floor inside, especially if slab extends past the outside
perimeter of wall.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
Ifso, why use ONE row of block at all ..whynot just put the bottom plate
right on the concrete (with a gasket of some sort of course, in between)
with anchor bolts as in common construction practice.

To keep the sill plate out of the puddled water or half-melted snow, of
course. Exterior wood wall should never rest directly on a slab.

Not much of a builder would grade a lot to allow "puddles" right next to the
structure and if its a buildup of snow we're talking about, a single row of
8" block isnt going to keep much snow off the exterior wall.

I daresay there are thousands of homes built on "raft slabs" or post
tensioned slabs where the bottom plate rests right on the slab(gasket).

I' ve seen them framed that way in both timber frame (regular "2 by" and
also PTL) bottom plates and metal framed as well.

.. having sill at floor level almost guarantees wet floor inside,
especially if slab extends past the outside perimeter of wall.

Now that, I ve never seen- the slab shouldnt extend out past the wall(s) and
wouldn't likely be passed by a plan/building inspector.

Dry mix concrete question. Frank[_9_] Home Repair 10 February 29th 08 01:11 PM
CONCRETE QUESTION MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 2 February 19th 07 12:09 AM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
Concrete question Easy Home Repair 2 December 1st 04 05:55 AM
Concrete question. andrewpreece UK diy 4 September 5th 04 11:15 AM