Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub repair

Looking for info on repairing my bathtub acne.

My house was built in 2002. It has a single piece bathtub with wall
surrounding it. I think the tub and surrounding walls are fiberglass
but I am not sure.

We have a young daughter, so to entertain her while bathing we bought
some 8x11 sheets of plastic that have pictures of animals and shapes.
These sheets are the kind that stick to the wall when they are moist.
The sheets have been on the bathtub walls for a few months. We noticed
that when we removed them yesterday that there are a bunch of 1/4 inch
bubbles that have formed in the fiberglass wall. In total there are
about 50 bubbles that have formed behind the plastic sheet that we had
hanging.

I am trying to figure out the best way to repair. I see that there are
repair kits to fix cracks and holes but I don't see mention of
bubbles. Can I sand these out and then use a kit to repair the tub?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MoopMeep wrote:
[...]

I would guess the tub is polyester resin which does tend to degrade when
wet, particularly when acidic or basic. I would think that sanding
would wear through any gel coat making it worse. Maybe someone sells a
kit to fix your problem. Try to contact manufacturer. Google got many
hits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:53:12 -0400, Frank
wrote:

MoopMeep wrote:
[...]

We bought our last house new. I went in during construction and found
6-8 framing nails that were shot through the fiberglass surround from
the back side. The builders brought a guy in to fix it. After the
work, I could not detect where the original holes were. Excellent work
by the repair guy.

enamel bathtub repair gA Home Repair 8 July 9th 08 06:32 PM
bathtub drain repair davisdavis2468 Home Repair 2 May 5th 06 03:35 PM
bathtub epoxy repair??? Randy Cox Home Repair 3 June 27th 05 02:56 AM
Bathtub drain repair Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 April 1st 05 05:51 AM
REQ: Bathtub Repair Tips Giggle Home Repair 0 October 25th 04 02:16 AM