Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question regarding Kitchen Renovation - order of installation.

When renovating a kitchen using ceramic tile as flooring..... are the
base cabinets installed in place and then the ceramic tile, or is
the entire floor finished first and then the base cabinets put into
place.

How is the dishwasher handled... if ceramic tile is installed up
to the front of the dishwasher, it blocks the dishwasher
in....however if tile is installed under the dishwasher... it
creates problems with the countertop height.

Just curious...

Thanks in advance !!

Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:29*am, wrote:
When renovating a kitchen using ceramic tile as flooring..... *are the
base cabinets installed in place *and then the ceramic tile, * or is
the entire floor finished first and then the base cabinets put into
place. * *

How is the dishwasher handled... * if ceramic tile is installed up
to the front of the dishwasher, * it blocks the dishwasher
in....however if tile is installed under the dishwasher... it
creates problems with the countertop height.

Just curious...

Thanks in advance !!

Peter

Finish the entire floor and leave no empty spots. Then install your
cabinets on top of the flooring. That solves all your problems and
allows future changes to your cabinet layout without having to hunt
down possibly discontinued floor tiles. Plus, putting flooring
everywhere adds a measure of water resistance that is needed in any
kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:29 am, wrote:
[...]

I believe this is very good advice. For small savings, tiling part of
the floor leaves you with possibly limited choices long-term if you try
to remodel. I would be sure to have extra tiles from the get-go and
safeguard those. I have tile in living and dining rooms, and after
living with it a few years, would not tile a kitchen floor. I love my
tile, but a few spills will always be impossible to remove....we sealed
ours well, and the grout is taupe, like the tile. Only two adults, and
rare spills, but coffee with creamer is tough ) We have terrazzo in
kitchen, baths and hallway and I love it. Strip and reseal and shine
every couple of years and it looks good for a long time. It's about 35
years old, and the only original terrazzo remaining in our condo -
others have all tiled over - but it looks far better, far longer, with
less care, than any other flooring I have had. Can always regrout,
which I have done in our shower )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

When renovating a kitchen using ceramic tile as flooring..... are the
base cabinets installed in place and then the ceramic tile, or is
the entire floor finished first and then the base cabinets put into
place.

How is the dishwasher handled... if ceramic tile is installed up
to the front of the dishwasher, it blocks the dishwasher
in....however if tile is installed under the dishwasher... it
creates problems with the countertop height.

Just curious...

Thanks in advance !!

Peter

Cabinets first, but put them on some material about the same thickness as
the tile, especially the dishwasher. If you are using cheap flooring, you
can put it first, but if you are using expensive tile, why waste a few
hundred bucks under the cabinets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

There was no floor under the dishwasher? *Was it a hole right through to
China? *What they really had was a half assed job. *Flooring does not
guarantee it would have been caught, but if it was sheet goods, it may have
run out first. *There should have been something under the DW so it can
slide out, like we did on every kitchen we ever did.

Again, when doing major work like adding an entry or new cabinets, chances
are, new floor is going in at the same time. *Having worked on dozens of
kitchen remodels, (part time job years ago), none ever saved the floor. *Out
with the old.. . . . . .

How much did I save? *Figure it out. *I had 21' of cabinet in a galley
kitchen and I used Italian quarry tile. * I moved out of that house some
years ago and the beautiful kitchen with walnut cabinets is still intact as
it stood. *What a waste to put such tile and hide it under the cabinets.. *If
the floor gets damaged in a couple of decades, the under cabinet part is
just wasted.

There was no flooring in the case of the dishwasher leak, as in tile,
etc.... Ya know, just like you suggest. Just bare plywood. It was a
disaster.

I can't figure out the percentage you saved on materials without
knowing the overall cost. By the sounds of it, I hope you have a
flooring material that will last for generations. If it'l last for
generations, that makes it important to have something over the whole
area that will allow for alternative layouts as well as water
protection.

I have slate floor in parts of my house that look s great after nearly
50 years. I would have loved to have something like that during the
last kitchen remodel. It would have eliminated flooring costs. I
suspect people who rip out their floors have cheapo floors anyway, and
so the added material cost would be slim to non-existant with the case
of sheet flooring.

Applying flooring before also cuts labor costs which would further
offset your material cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

Following your advice, I'd have spent $500+ more to tile under cabinets.
How many people remodel a kitchen after 20 or 30 years and do NOT change
the
flooring? How many people rearrange the kitchen cabinets frequently?

Well then, save a BUNCH of $$ and use plain ol $ 1.00 tile from a
discount outlet for the unseen areas under the cabinets and D/W

I agree putting the good flooring under cabinets is a big waste of money but
they always tile or put the hardwood under the dishwasher , stove and
fridge...What I've seen personally is , if it's hardwood they use the cut
offs and not so pretty stuff and with tile they use chipped , cutoffs or
left over tile from another area or other job to do under the cabinets
mostly for spacers and is not filled in totally......Best of both worlds....