Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower water is luke warm on some days

Two of the four showers in our house have the same problem. Some days
the water is hot and fine, but some days the water is just luke warm
and not comfortable for showering.

When the shower water is luke warm, nearby sink continues to provide
hot water.

The shower components are Delta make and the controller is a plastic
knob. http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/1348-WS.html

We have two heaters on the attic and we believe both of these showers
are fed by the same heater. We don't know for sure.

The plumber that looked at the problem quickly diagnosed it to be a
problem with the cartridge. He did so without doing much analysis. I
read up on the cartridge and I am not fully convinced that replacing
cartridge will resolve the issue - but I am new to all this. Since we
recently had an expensive plumbing repair in the house, I really don't
want to spend time and money for experimentation.

I am only looking to see if you all agree with our plumber's
diagnosis. Thank you very much for your time and help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sudarshan Karkada" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like the mixing valve in the faucet needs replacing. The mixing
valve controls the flow of water to prevent scalding.

You will need new seats and springs at the same time as they should not be
reused. Total cost of part less than $20 most places. Off the truck prices
may trouble that.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:29:24 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

Sounds like the mixing valve in the faucet needs replacing. The mixing
valve controls the flow of water to prevent scalding.

You will need new seats and springs at the same time as they should not be
reused. Total cost of part less than $20 most places. Off the truck prices
may trouble that.

Colbyt

I seriously doubt that is the problem because the problem exists on
two faucets. It would be a hell of a coincidence if that was the
problem.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 04:36:30 -0700 (PDT), Sudarshan Karkada
wrote:

[...]

I don't know what the problem may be but it certainly isn't the
cartridge. The problem exists between each faucet and the water
heater. Otherwise you would only have the problem at one shower. My
advise would be to contact a competent plumber.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One of the two water heaters may be at fault.