Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Stabil

I notice Stabil is now marketing a blend primarily for marine
engines. I thought it was a gas treatment and I never saw gas
differentiated between land and marine useage. Whats up?

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
I notice Stabil is now marketing a blend primarily for marine
engines. I thought it was a gas treatment and I never saw gas
differentiated between land and marine useage. Whats up?

Red

The gas sold at marinas is supposed to be formulated for marine use with
more detergents and water dispersants. Much more costly than regular gas.
Marine engines can suck down much more fuel per hour than the family sedan
also, so additive packages differ. 15 to 25 gallon an hour in not uncommon.
My guess is the Stabil marine version is formulated to work better with the
different additives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The gas sold at marinas is supposed to be formulated for marine use with
more detergents and water dispersants. Much more costly than regular gas.

The "more costly" part I agree with..other than that, I suspect they are
selling "regular gas" at most marinas, other than the ones selling "hi test"
91 Octane. I get my boat filled at a local cardlock station where I get
UNL87 w/o the Highway tax (48 cents a gallon less)..otherwise known as
"Marked gas". Marinas should also be selling gas for less due to the lack
of Highway taxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:28:15 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

I notice Stabil is now marketing a blend primarily for marine
engines. I thought it was a gas treatment and I never saw gas
differentiated between land and marine useage. Whats up?

Red

Many fuel docks have always had specially formulated gasoline for
marine use. The brand name Valvtect springs to mind. The new marine
Stabil is considerably different than the original version. Far more
anti-corrosion ingredients to help overcome problems caused by alcohol
in the gasoline. So much more, that the recommended dose of the marine
Stabil is half as much as the original. As always, you can add more
than the directions indicate without any harm, and it will preserve
the gas better and longer. I use the new Marine stuff, but at the old
doseage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:32:52 -0700, "Rudy"
wrote:

The gas sold at marinas is supposed to be formulated for marine use with
more detergents and water dispersants. Much more costly than regular gas.

The "more costly" part I agree with..other than that, I suspect they are
selling "regular gas" at most marinas, other than the ones selling "hi test"
91 Octane. I get my boat filled at a local cardlock station where I get
UNL87 w/o the Highway tax (48 cents a gallon less)..otherwise known as
"Marked gas". Marinas should also be selling gas for less due to the lack
of Highway taxes.

Marinas have a long and valid list of issues that a land based gas
station doesn't have. They are located on VERY expensive property with
humongous property taxes. The environmental issues with storing gas
that close to water and dispensing it from a dock are unbelievable. As
are the risks if there is an accident. Then, the marina has to make
almost it's entire annual income in the span of the boating season. No
matter how busy a fuel dock may seem, it will never sell as much fuel
as a well positioned land gas station.

Most Fuel docks do NOT sell regular automotive gasoline.