Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

. ..
On 2009-08-16, SteveB wrote:

I did not harp on this. It was the first time I brought it up, and it
was a
suggestion, and not a "why" question, as it you had intent.

Oh, sorry, my eyes must have wandered when I read the name of someone
that *you* responded to earlier in the thread.

I thought it was the same
guy posting the same thing again.

Then, I take it that you are NOT the person who originally wrote in for
advice on how to handle the dust when trimming high weeds. Am I correct?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-17, aemeijers wrote:
Sounds like that is part of your problem. Might I suggest going retro,
and getting yourself a scythe or sickle to keep up there, and doing the
initial clearing by hand? Chop it low, and use a pitchfork and scoop
shovel like giant salad tongs, to gather it up?

I *did* have a machete with me on these recent trips, but with a blade
that short, you have to do a lot of bending over to reach things.

I'm thinking about getting one of those brush blades next time I'm at
HomeDepot.

I don't think they carry scythes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-17, E Z Peaces wrote:

I can't imagine having the line on a string trimmer tangle up. In
waist-high grass, I'll make my first pass high because the mass of
resilient vegetation down low would bog down a string trimmer.

I'm wasn't really cutting "grass", more like large stalky weeds.

I wouldn't attempt head-high stuff with string because I'd expect some
weeds that tall to be tough enough to cause splitting in the .090 line I
use.

For stuff that tall I have a disk with 3 replaceable nylon blades a
little like propellers for model airplanes. They'll cut anything short
of wood. Nothing bogs them down. The trimmer is more controllable than
with string because cutting doesn't cause a pull. My clothes stay
neater because they don't throw debris as much as string. Presumably
they would throw less pollen into the air than would string.

I saw those things in a catalog and wondered about their performance.

I guess I should get some and keep them for over-grown jobs like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-17, SteveB wrote:

Then, I take it that you are NOT the person who originally wrote in for
advice on how to handle the dust when trimming high weeds. Am I correct?

I've never used Outlook, but it sounds like you would be better off with
a different client if it doesn't provide yout with the
ability to easily go back and see for yourself.

Anyway, I *am* this thread's OP, but I wasn't asking for advice on how to
handle dust. I was just curious to know if the experiance that I had was
at all common.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-17, aemeijers wrote:
Sounds like that is part of your problem. Might I suggest going retro,
and getting yourself a scythe or sickle to keep up there, and doing the
initial clearing by hand? Chop it low, and use a pitchfork and scoop
shovel like giant salad tongs, to gather it up?

I *did* have a machete with me on these recent trips, but with a blade
that short, you have to do a lot of bending over to reach things.

I'm thinking about getting one of those brush blades next time I'm at
HomeDepot.

I don't think they carry scythes.

I'm probably remembering the names wrong. Kinda like Death carries in
all the cartoons, but with a curving handle to save your back. I've even
seen them with arms sticking out of the handle, to catch the tall stuff
as you cut it, so you can continue the swinging motion, and move it all
behind you as you go. Like the things they used to have chain gangs use
to clear weeds in road ditches.

I agree about machetes. They look cool in old movies, but in real life,
after ten minutes, you are sore all over. (Unless that is what you do
for a living every day, of course.)

A farm store may have better selection of tools like that than HD or
Lowes. Leastways the handles will probably be longer.

(Googles). Didn't find scythes, but several places had the golf-club
looking things I used as a kid, with the long razor-sharp blade sticking
out. Handles are always absurdly short on those for some reason- only
40" or so. I suppose you could always fit a longer handle. Here is an
example.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-ga...rimmer-4429395

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
Has you ever became ill after using a line-trimmer?

The last two times that I've trimmed growth that was as tall I was, I
ended up inadvertently inhaling some of the pulverized debris, and
each night after that, I've ended up with a brief upper-respiratory
infection.

I figured is was the inhalation of mold or fungus that caused it.

I was just curious if this could be a common thing when line-trimming
massive amounts of vegetation.

Either way, I'm going to have to start remembering to use dust-mask
from
now on.

My former neighbor used to wear a respirator when mowing the lawn due to allergy
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
On 2009-08-17, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Can I throw in a short rant here? I recently bought a grass trimmer very similar to the one in the
photo you linked. Why the f**** do all the ones available now seem to have serrated blades? They
don't cut very well when they're new (because of poor build quality) and you can't sharpen them!
When I was a kid we had one with a regular blade, it cut well and when it didn't you could easily
sharpen it.

I suppose with a grinder and enough time, you could modify it from a serrated to a regular blade...

Eric Law

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:

[...]

A serrated edge is supposed to work more efficiently on a grass whip.
The standard method is to clamp the blade in a vise and file the bevel.
I once tried that with a rusty one I found in a shed. It still
wouldn't cut.

I've read that buyers of name-brand whips experience the same
frustration because they come with lacquer on the edge. One buyer was
very pleased with his whip after cleaning the edge with a 3/16" hone in
a dremel tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

scorpionleather wrote:
Not so much from string trimming, but when I use the lawnmower it
kicks up a lot of dust and then for the next couple days I sneeze a
lot. Or when I do other landscaping projects that raise the
vegetation dust I get what feels like upper respiratory allergies. So I
wonder if you are also having a kind of allergic reaction. I
take Claritin (over the counter) and that helps a little.

I just this year started wearing a particle mask when I mow the lawn in the
summer. Makes a BIG difference in the way I feel afterwards, along the
lines of the effect you get the first time you wear hearing protection while
mowing.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
scorpionleather wrote:
Not so much from string trimming, but when I use the lawnmower it
kicks up a lot of dust and then for the next couple days I sneeze a
lot. Or when I do other landscaping projects that raise the
vegetation dust I get what feels like upper respiratory allergies. So I
wonder if you are also having a kind of allergic reaction. I
take Claritin (over the counter) and that helps a little.

I just this year started wearing a particle mask when I mow the lawn in the
summer. Makes a BIG difference in the way I feel afterwards, along the
lines of the effect you get the first time you wear hearing protection while
mowing.

Jon

Wish I'd worn hearing protection mowing lawns as a kid, and on the
construction sites during my teenage years. I might have a little more
of my hearing left. I was never into rock'n'roll concerts and never had
a high-power stereo, so those are the only damaging exposures I had. But
other than the jackhammer guys, nobody wore them back then. I wear muffs
using any power equipment now, funny looks from the neighbors be damned.
I want to hold on to what little hearing I have left.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-19, aemeijers wrote:

Wish I'd worn hearing protection mowing lawns as a kid, and on the
construction sites during my teenage years. I might have a little more
of my hearing left. I was never into rock'n'roll concerts and never had
a high-power stereo, so those are the only damaging exposures I had. But
other than the jackhammer guys, nobody wore them back then. I wear muffs
using any power equipment now, funny looks from the neighbors be damned.
I want to hold on to what little hearing I have left.

I always wear earplugs when I mow, trim, hit a nail with a hammer, or
anything else that seems uncomfortable. If have sensitive hearing, and I
enjoy still being able to hearing failt sounds off in the distance that other
people can't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..
On 2009-08-19, aemeijers wrote:

Wish I'd worn hearing protection mowing lawns as a kid, and on the
construction sites during my teenage years. I might have a little more
of my hearing left. I was never into rock'n'roll concerts and never had
a high-power stereo, so those are the only damaging exposures I had. But
other than the jackhammer guys, nobody wore them back then. I wear muffs
using any power equipment now, funny looks from the neighbors be damned.
I want to hold on to what little hearing I have left.

I always wear earplugs when I mow, trim, hit a nail with a hammer, or
anything else that seems uncomfortable. If have sensitive hearing, and I
enjoy still being able to hearing failt sounds off in the distance that
other
people can't.

When I got my hearing aids, I walked out, and was amazed at how loud the
birds were. At night I could hear crickets. And other little sounds. Like
aemerijers, I wish I had taken more care, but in a lot of the situations I
worked, hearing protection would have been a hindrance, as one had to listen
to some of the sounds and other workmen. My hearing is very bad.

My exposures were very loud machinery, all manner of things. Compressors,
needle scalers, compressed air tools, and industrial diving. In training,
we used to blow down to 200' in 40 seconds. That has to toughen up the
eardrums after a time. And then all the other up and down trips in up to
305' of water.

If I had it to do over, I'd do it different. I would stay in college, and
probably been a liberal.

Maybe being hard of hearing isn't so bad after all.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 10:57:51 PM UTC-4, ShadowTek wrote:
Has you ever became ill after using a line-trimmer?

The last two times that I've trimmed growth that was as tall I was, I
ended up inadvertently inhaling some of the pulverized debris, and each
night after that, I've ended up with a brief upper-respiratory
infection.

I figured is was the inhalation of mold or fungus that caused it.

I was just curious if this could be a common thing when line-trimming massive
amounts of vegetation.

Either way, I'm going to have to start remembering to use dust-mask from
now on.

It is common sense that every one's respiratory system is stronger or weaker than each other. Just like some people get poison ivory and others don't. When cutting any grass weeds or especially poison ivory or poison oak. I have learned as I just started going into my sixty's I cant use any leaf blowers or weed whackers as much because the fumes are giving me a sore throat.. I have some one in our family who if she even gets near poison ivory she will start to get chocked up and will get some rashes later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2017 10:22 PM, micky wrote:
Hmmm. I hate leaf blowers anyhow. Let the leaves be leaves.

Just get rid of the trees and multiple problems are solved.

- no more tree root sewer line damage

- no more worrying about a tree falling on your house in a storm

- no more cleaning out eves-troughs

- no more raking leaves

- no more picking up broken branches

- no more ****ing around with leaf blowers

- no more place for ****ing squirrels to live

Did I miss anything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2017 3:39 AM, Eve Troff wrote:
On 12/10/2017 10:22 PM, micky wrote:
Hmmm.Â* I hate leaf blowers anyhow.Â* Let the leaves be leaves.

Just get rid of the trees and multiple problems are solved.

- no more tree root sewer line damage

- no more worrying about a tree falling on your house in a storm

- no more cleaning out eves-troughs

- no more raking leaves

- no more picking up broken branches

- no more ****ing around with leaf blowers

- no more place for ****ing squirrels to live

Did I miss anything?

Â* Yes - No more oxygen for humans and animals to breath .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2017 09:22 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

Hmmm. I hate leaf blowers anyhow. Let the leaves be leaves.

A leaf blower is used to blow leaves into the street. This is littering,
but normal people don't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2017 07:17 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

Â* Yes - No more oxygen for humans and animals to breath .

And one of the most common language-related errors on the internet. The
word is BREATHE (as in "If you can breathe, you can take a breath.").

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2017 1:04 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was wearing a dust mask cutting the grass last year. My problem
unknown at the time was a cough actually caused by blood pressure med.
I changed the med, cough went away and I don't need the mask. As you
say, some are more susceptible, but I would use a mask in high dust
conditions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 04:39:39 -0500, Eve Troff
wrote:

On 12/10/2017 10:22 PM, micky wrote:
Hmmm. I hate leaf blowers anyhow. Let the leaves be leaves.

Just get rid of the trees and multiple problems are solved.

- no more tree root sewer line damage

- no more worrying about a tree falling on your house in a storm

- no more cleaning out eves-troughs

- no more raking leaves

- no more picking up broken branches

- no more ****ing around with leaf blowers

- no more place for ****ing squirrels to live

Did I miss anything?

Pave the yard and no more grass mowing.

Paint it green and no more fertilizing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 6 foot ditches on front and side of my property and let it grow up so Sunday, one week ago, I literally weed eated these ditches and the yard for approximately 4 hours. I went through poison ivy, poison oak and anything else that was in my path. I felt it hitting my face and neck so I was worried I may end up with a rash but instead I ended up with a breathing problem. It started the next day with a soreness in my throat as if my throat was having an alergic reaction to what I breathed in. Now it has become a pain in my throat and my chest when I breath in deeply. I function normally but today it feels a little more intense. Does this sound like what you went through? I will also wear a mask next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

911. Now.

Replacing string trimmer line Mitch@_._ Home Repair 1 May 22nd 08 04:37 PM
Gas line trimmer help needed John Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 29th 06 06:46 PM
String Trimmer line Roy Metalworking 5 May 25th 06 03:16 AM
automatic line feed grass/edge trimmer John Doe Home Repair 0 January 27th 05 08:04 AM
'double line' string trimmer question xrongor Home Repair 1 May 30th 04 10:35 PM