Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing electrical plugs

I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:26*pm, Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. *I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

First on the list would be that what you appear to be posting about is
called an outlet, not a plug. I'm sure if you google "replacing an
outlet" you will find plenty of websites with info and pics.

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

Step #1: Know where the breaker box is, how to locate a particular circuit
and turn off the breaker for it.

Step #2: Know which wire goes to which color of screw in the outlet.

Step #3: Know how much insulation to strip from the wire, how to do it, how
to make an eye in the bare wire and which way to place the eye on the screw.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 1:26 pm, Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Andy comments:

1) Make sure the outlet is dead before you mess with it. Plug in a
lamp and
throw the correct breaker to make it turn off. Repeat it on
and back off.
This is very important. You might have a bad bulb and the
outlet may
still be live. You need to make the outlet dead...... for
sure.....

2) When you remove the old outlet , you should see the following:
A white wire that goes to the silver colored screw, which is
on
the side of the outlet with the longer slit. This is the
"neutral" wire.

A black wire that goes to the gold colored screw, which is
on
the side of the outlet with the shorter slit.(This is the
"hot" wire)

A bare copper wire that goes to a little green screw at one
end of
the outlet. This is the safety ground wire. Sometimes the
installer
doesn't use this. However, you should make sure it is
connected
on your new outlet. It connects the safety ground to the
little
pencil sized hole beneath both of the slits on the outlet,
and may
or may not be used, depending on what you plug in..... But
it is
important to have it.....

If your outlet has more than one wire going to any of the
screw terminals,
then try to copy it the same way for your new outlet. It
means that
several outlets may be "daisy chained" and you need to do
the same
thing.

If any of this doesn't seem to fit what you see when you
look at the
inside of the old outlet, then stop, put everything back,
and find
a ham radio operator or a neighbor's husband who wears jeans
to work and drives an old truck..... You will need their
advice.......

Good luck,

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goog" wrote in message
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

I'm sure a google search will give you pictures and descriptions of how to
do this. Other than the basic mechanics of stripping the wire and looping
the end around the screw in the direction so that tightening the screw,
closes your loop of your wire, white wires go to silver screws and colored
wires go to brass screws, green or bare wires go to green grounding screws,
you need to be conscious of any outlets that are controlled by a wall
switch. Often when this is done, half the outlet remains live, and half is
controlled by the switch. The wiring scheme looks the same as any other
daisy-chained outlet, except there is a small brass tab on the "hot" side of
the outlet, that must be cut first. If it's not cut, the switch will have no
affect on the outlets it should control. Also, be aware that there may be
other wires in the outlet box, that are not attached to the outlet. These
may be from another circuit and may be alive, leave them alone

Posted to alt.home.repair

AndyS wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:26 pm, Goog wrote:

[...]

As no one else has mention this, Angela's existing recepticals may have
back stabbed connections, in which case she should cut the wires as
close to the receptical as possible, then strip them to make the screwed
connections on the new ones.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
AndyS wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:26 pm, Goog wrote:

[...]

I've heard that opinion before. Why are back stabbed connection no god?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:26*pm, Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. *I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Don't buy the cheap outlets in the bulk 49 cent bin at the end of the
aisle. Look for "spec" or "commercial" grade ones, they'll be a few
dollars each, but will last longer and your plugs won't fall out of
them.

Some outlets let you just plug the wires into spring-loaded holes in
the back. Don't do that. Wrap the wires around the screws and tighten
them. (Some outlets let you insert wires into slots and then tighten
them with screws. That's ok, providing you can feel the wire fastened
tightly in the slot when the screw is tight.)

And get a 3-light outlet tester so you can make sure they're all
hooked up right. Use it on the old outlets *before* you disconnect
them, so you can see if the connections are right to begin with (and
then again to make sure the outlet is dead before you open it up.)

If you have any outlets where one plug is controlled by a wall switch,
look very carefully: you'll see the metal tab connecting the two hot
screws has been broken off. You'll need to duplicate this on the
replacement. Make sure to remember which hot wire is which (one of
them comes from the switch) when you reconnect it, so you'll know
which half is switched. If you forget to break the tab, you just won't
be able to switch the outlet off. You *may* find this also on some of
your kitchen outlets, where one of the hot wires will be red. If you
forget to break the tab on that one, expect rather more spectacular
results when you try to put the breaker back on.

If the old wiring doesn't have a ground, you *should* replace the
outlets with GFCI's, and use the "no equipment ground" sticker that
comes with them. Also any outlet near a sink, any outlet in the
bathroom and any outlet outdoors (in the U.S., maybe any outlet
anywhere in the kitchen?) should be GFCI.

As you work, keep notes of which outlets are on which breaker. This
will come in very handy someday.

If you find that some of the outlets are in holes in the wall without
boxes, or have multiple wires connected to one screw, or just plain
don't work ... well, you know where to find us.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

AndyS wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:26 pm, Goog wrote:

[...]

If the wire isn't inserted properly, it will have a less than adequate
contact inside the receptacle, which will ultimately cause an open circuit.
Older receptacles were designed to accept #12 conductors, which due to
potentially higher amperage draw, I suppose, added to the potential for an
open circuit

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
you need to be conscious of any outlets that are controlled by a wall
switch. Often when this is done, half the outlet remains live, and half is
controlled by the switch. The wiring scheme looks the same as any other
daisy-chained outlet, except there is a small brass tab on the "hot" side of
the outlet, that must be cut first. If it's not cut, the switch will have no
affect on the outlets it should control. Also, be aware that there may be
other wires in the outlet box, that are not attached to the outlet. These
may be from another circuit and may be alive, leave them alone

I don't suppose somebody wants to try explain Edison circuits...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
you need to be conscious of any outlets that are controlled by a wall
switch. Often when this is done, half the outlet remains live, and half
is controlled by the switch. The wiring scheme looks the same as any
other daisy-chained outlet, except there is a small brass tab on the
"hot" side of the outlet, that must be cut first. If it's not cut, the
switch will have no affect on the outlets it should control. Also, be
aware that there may be other wires in the outlet box, that are not
attached to the outlet. These may be from another circuit and may be
alive, leave them alone

I don't suppose somebody wants to try explain Edison circuits...

I hear ya. These are the pitfalls for amateurs. If it's a relatively new
building, and was wired to code, the neutrals of any Edison circuits will be
pigtailed... and if not, separating the neutrals off the receptacle can be
dangerous and or painful

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
AndyS wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:26 pm, Goog wrote:

[...]

There is usually a release hole on backstabbed outlets that I've seen. Pushing a
small screwdriver or another piece of wire in this hole will release the wire,
so no cutting is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

Don't buy the cheap outlets. Get "spec grade" or equivalent. They will hold the
plug better, and will last way longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typically, you replace a plug this way:

1) Remove plug from socket.
2) Cut the old plug off, as close to the old plug as
possible.
3) Follow the provided directions, to strip, wire, and close
the two parts of the plug. The sales guy at the hardware
store should be able to coach you, if you need further help.
4) Put the plug back into the socket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Goog" wrote in message
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents'
house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white
plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm
not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, what is an electrical plug.
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...-KH-99221-.jpg
This, from a google search.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message

I don't suppose somebody wants to try explain Edison
circuits...

Posted to alt.home.repair

No worry. She's not doing anything with the outlets. She
wants to replace the PLUGS.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

you need to be conscious of any outlets that are
controlled by a wall
switch. Often when this is done, half the outlet remains
live, and half is
controlled by the switch. The wiring scheme looks the same
as any other
daisy-chained outlet, except there is a small brass tab on
the "hot" side of
the outlet, that must be cut first. If it's not cut, the
switch will have no
affect on the outlets it should control. Also, be aware
that there may be
other wires in the outlet box, that are not attached to
the outlet. These
may be from another circuit and may be alive, leave them
alone

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:08:33 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Goog" wrote in message
[...]

And if it is a "split" receptacle thetie tab also needs to be removed,
or the breaker will trip IMMEDIATELY when turned on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We're not talking about recepticles. We're talking about
PLUGS. Please stay on topic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

And if it is a "split" receptacle thetie tab also needs to
be removed,
or the breaker will trip IMMEDIATELY when turned on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
We're not talking about recepticles. We're talking about
PLUGS. Please stay on topic.

You are not talking about receptacles. Others are. Get a clue.

This is the same kind of "thinking" as conservatives that claim that the
Democrats want to institute "death panels". Just ignore reality, and charge
forward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 1:26*pm, Goog wrote:
I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. *I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Thanks so much to those who replied. I planned to buy my own place at
22 yrs old and as soon as I graduated. I just did. I will come back
here for more advices since I'm trying to do some minor repairs
myself.

Thanks so so much.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chip C wrote:
If the old wiring doesn't have a ground, you *should* replace the
outlets with GFCI's, and use the "no equipment ground" sticker that
comes with them. Also any outlet near a sink, any outlet in the
bathroom and any outlet outdoors (in the U.S., maybe any outlet
anywhere in the kitchen?) should be GFCI.

Kitchen countertop outlets should be GFCI.

It may be possible to use a GFCI outlet to protect outlets downstream.

If you change an outlet to GFCI - they take more volume. You may have to
very carefully fold the wires into the box to efficiently use the
space. (You may have to do that with other outlets too.)

If there is not a ground wire to the outlet it may be best to come back
and describe what you have. For example, a metal box may be grounded and
a "self grounding" outlet can be used. If there is actually no ground, 2
wire receptacles (with no ground) can also be used.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:26:50 -0700 (PDT), Goog
wrote:

I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Try posting from a real news server NOT Google. Some people have
Google (note that's NOT Gmail) because it's a source of spam.

BTW, the word "plug" refers to the MALE connector on the cord not the
thing in the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:50:19 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

[snip]

There is usually a release hole on backstabbed outlets that I've seen. Pushing a
small screwdriver or another piece of wire in this hole will release the wire,
so no cutting is needed.

I've replaced several so loose you don't need the release hole.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

I read the subject line. Conservatives read the House bill
on health care. Liberals whimper when Conservatives are
correct.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
We're not talking about recepticles. We're talking about
PLUGS. Please stay on topic.

You are not talking about receptacles. Others are. Get a
clue.

This is the same kind of "thinking" as conservatives that
claim that the
Democrats want to institute "death panels". Just ignore
reality, and charge
forward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Try posting from a real news server NOT Google. Some people have
Google (note that's NOT Gmail) because it's a source of spam.

BTW, the word "plug" refers to the MALE connector on the cord not the
thing in the wall.

You just embarrassed 50 million people. Seriously, I think more than
half of the people in the US call a receptacle/outlet a plug. Quite a
few call it a "plug in" also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:31:14 -0400, Tony
wrote:

[snip]

BTW, the word "plug" refers to the MALE connector on the cord not the
thing in the wall.

You just embarrassed 50 million people. Seriously, I think more than
half of the people in the US call a receptacle/outlet a plug. Quite a
few call it a "plug in" also.

"Wall plugs" are for holiday decoration, for lighting up unwanted
guests :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:31:14 -0400, Tony
wrote:

[snip]

BTW, the word "plug" refers to the MALE connector on the cord not the
thing in the wall.

You just embarrassed 50 million people.

Seriously, I think more than
half of the people in the US call a receptacle/outlet a plug. Quite a
few call it a "plug in" also.

That would be the "majority virus". The way that idea (the ****** idea
that the majority is always right) keeps getting passed around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought an old condo after moved out from my parents' house. I would
like to replace all almond-color electrical plugs with white plugs.
The plug and the cover are pretty cheap at HD.

I pulled out one and it doesn't seem too complicate but I'm not sure.
What do I need to know before I will give it a shot?

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Angela

It is a lot of bother, but it can be done. Make sure the circuit
breaker is OFF whenever the cover plate is removed. An outlet without
a cover plate is out of code. Pickup a plug tester at HD, about
$10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Pickup a plug tester at HD, about $10.

But tell them you want an outlet tester, just to confuse 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Typically, you replace a plug this way:

1) Remove plug from socket.
2) Cut the old plug off, as close to the old plug as
possible.
3) Follow the provided directions, to strip, wire, and close
the two parts of the plug. The sales guy at the hardware
store should be able to coach you, if you need further help.
4) Put the plug back into the socket.

--
Christopher A. Young

Have you done this lately? I have, to replace plugs on the end of
appliance wires. These appliances were dual voltage but came with
Euro style plugs and I couldn't find adapters for US outlets, so I
changed the plugs.

I tried the big box and I tried the specialty hardware stores. You
can no longer find decent quality plug replacements. I recommend a
different strategy - if you can, replace the whole cord with a
cannibalized good one. (There may be some electrical contractor
stores that have good stuff, but I didn't find any.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Pickup a plug tester at HD, about $10.

But tell them you want an outlet tester, just to confuse 'em.

LOL! I read it and didn't even catch it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fortunately, they are not correct. If you actually read it, you'd know that.

Do you really think asking your doctor questions about options for a terminally
ill family member is the same as a "death panel"? Really? If so, I feel sorry
for your family.

This kind of scaremongering makes the right wing look really psycho. And it's
all they are doing.

Top posted, to not break the previous responders form.