Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this mold?

Here are some pictures: http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...apt/?start=all

The first are of the access point for the plumbing for the second
floor (it's a 2 story complex) The wood has a lot of white and black
stuff all over it.

Then when the window was removed for the bathroom, we found similar
damage to the wood there.

Then we found it underneath the kitchen sink.

And when we pulled up the carpet we stuff under each of the rooms:
dining rear bedroom and front bedroom we found damage on the floors to
varying degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 10:53*pm, Stock Apt wrote:
Here are some pictures:http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...apt/?start=all

The first are of the access point for the plumbing for the second
floor (it's a 2 story complex) *The wood has a lot of white and black
stuff all over it.

Then when the window was removed for the bathroom, we found similar
damage to the wood there.

Then we found it underneath the kitchen sink.

And when we pulled up the carpet we stuff under each of the rooms:
dining rear bedroom and front bedroom we found damage on the floors to
varying degrees.

Whats the humidity in your place, is it like a swamp, do you have a
good digital humidistat or run AC ever? What is exterior wall
construction, Tyvek and maybe synthetic stucco? It looks like the
house doesnt breath and there are leaks. Laundry bleach kills mold
cheaply, test for your self , pour some on an area if it changes color
to white or red or clear in about a minute its mold. It looks like you
have many problems and maybe more than you can imagine, or maybe its a
few leaks, carelessness and high humidity. I cant guess without being
there but if it was me id lower the humidity with the AC and
dehumidifiers and get a garden sprayer and a few gallons of bleach and
kill what I see. The mold had to be from trapped water, or leaks and
its not drying out overall. Do people get out of the shower and with
wet feet walk on the carpet? Bleack kills by removing the Oxygen from
the mold and its cheap and easy to get started but humidity has to be
kept around 70-75 at the hightest but only trapped water and near 95
-100% humidity grows mold, at least this has been my experiance in
keeping it controlled. Wet areas must be dried out now. Get a digital
humidistat, most analog ones are not calibrated at all new from what I
have seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 12, 10:53*pm, Stock Apt wrote:
Here are some pictures:http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...apt/?start=all

The first are of the access point for the plumbing for the second
floor (it's a 2 story complex) *The wood has a lot of white and black
stuff all over it.

Then when the window was removed for the bathroom, we found similar
damage to the wood there.

Then we found it underneath the kitchen sink.

And when we pulled up the carpet we stuff under each of the rooms:
dining rear bedroom and front bedroom we found damage on the floors to
varying degrees.

Better call your County Health Department for advice and information
on the hazards of mold. As it appears now, your house won't pass an
ordinary inspection for an Occupancy Permit. Get some professional
remediation estimates, legal advice, and start looking at mold free
houses in a dry part of town. In some areas, such a house would be
donated to the Fire Department to use as a training structure, letting
it be totally consumed after the last training burn. Don't be
surprised if correcting all the problems runs $50K or better. Your
good health is on the line here.

Joe