Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moen kitchen faucet

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"joevan" wrote in message

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Ours never needed lubrication in 16 years. If in doubt, email
your inquiry to the Moen web site. They answer promptly.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:27:11 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).

Second the plumber's grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).

Second the plumber's grease.

Thanks to both of you. I will check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.
I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).

Second the plumber's grease.

Thanks to both of you. I will check it out.

I suspect but cannot prove that Sil-Glyde is the same stuff, if you have
an auto parts store closer than a good hardware or plumbing store.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.
I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).
Second the plumber's grease.

Thanks to both of you. I will check it out.

I suspect but cannot prove that Sil-Glyde is the same stuff, if you have
an auto parts store closer than a good hardware or plumbing store.

nate

Can you eat it? Helps prove if it is the same stuff, sorta.

I suppose you can compare the MSDS papers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2009 3:36 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

wrote:

On 8/11/2009 11:37 AM joevan spake thus:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

I'd use plumbers grease, available at any "real" plumbing supply place
or local hardware store (not a big-box home-improvement mega-store).

Second the plumber's grease.

I suspect but cannot prove that Sil-Glyde is the same stuff, if you have
an auto parts store closer than a good hardware or plumbing store.

Nope. Not even close. Plumbers grease is an old-fashioned compound,
definitely non-silicone (and therefore not harmful to finished surfaces
like silicone sometimes is) that probably goes back a couple of centuries.

It's formulated to resist high temperatures (at least as high as that of
hot water) so it won't melt away under heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"joevan" wrote in message
What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Never lubed mine. I'd replace it if it was sticking and difficult to use.
IIRC, they have a lifetime warranty so you may want to give them a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

joevan wrote:
What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Hi,
Food grade white Lubriplate.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
joevan wrote:
What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Hi,
Food grade white Lubriplate.?

Why does Lubriplate still say "the modern lubricant" after 50? years?
Gotta always have Lubriplate and a zoom spout oiler with "turbine oil"
on hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:36:22 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
.. .
What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Never lubed mine. I'd replace it if it was sticking and difficult to use.
IIRC, they have a lifetime warranty so you may want to give them a call.

Last time I replaced the stem I understood there was no second time. I
have another unit on the first floor that does not get much use and it
works just fine. Maybe I should trade them around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:37:26 -0400, joevan wrote:

What is the best thing to use to lubricate the up and down sliding
mechanism on these units.

Moen sez to use silicone lube (only) on their cartridges.

$2-3 at HD (Danco brand).

Will

Diverter in Moen Kitchen Faucet Max Home Repair 2 July 28th 07 03:29 AM
Moen Kitchen Faucet Ken Home Repair 10 August 2nd 05 02:24 PM
Need help fixing a Moen kitchen faucet toller Home Repair 7 September 11th 04 12:47 AM
More MOEN Kitchen Faucet Woes Dr Jack White Home Repair 0 March 13th 04 12:53 PM
Moen kitchen faucet model 87801 Ray Home Repair 2 December 1st 03 08:44 PM