Posted to alt.home.repair

Default killing a tree

Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of
object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
ications...
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of
object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

Not sure from your post. Can you cut it to ground level?

If yes simply cut it down and apply a liberal portion of brush killer
directly from the bottle to the stump. Apply immediately after cutting for
best results. Mix 50/50 brush killer and diesel fuel for faster surer
results.

Can't cut it down for some reason? Strip the bark all the way around base
and apply the brush killer to that area.

I would not girdle it with wire as someone will ruin a chain saw blade in
the future cutting it down. And to be honest that does not always work with
the vigorous growers.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
nefletch wrote:
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? ...

Simply girdle it.

He can't. The fence he's reaching over is 5' high.

Just leave it alone except for cutting off any growth that appears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 11:49:18 -0600, "nefletch" wrote:

Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of
object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

Don't allow it to leaf out. Without leaves the tree can not make food
and will die. I have not tried it, but but you could drive copper
nails into the trunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore

A friend had done this in his yard. He uses the "stumps" as bases for bird
feeders

should I drill holes in the top and pour shrub/tree killer in the holes?

Some trees will die off just because you ve cut off the top..others like
Willows will re-sprout.

If its that type, I'd drill the holes as you've said and pour the
Equivalent of 41% RoundUp into the holes..You can get it for less than half
of the Brand Name price at WalMart under the name "Eliminator" in quarts for
about $ 15.00

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:
nefletch wrote:
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? ...

Simply girdle it.

He can't. The fence he's reaching over is 5' high.

Where does it say anything about a fence?

And if it were on the other side of a property fence, he's already
trespassed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

He can't. The fence he's reaching over is 5' high.

Just leave it alone except for cutting off any growth that appears.

I had a rotten neighbor like him. The guy killed a 50 foot tree (not
saying here how it was done). Then the slightest wind came along and the
tree's roots were dead so the tree fell over into my other neighbor's
yard.
It could have killed somebody. Luckily it fell into an empty area, and
away from the power lines. Then I had to pay lots of money for a tree
service to take it away. I was on disability at the time and had a bad
time
coming up with the money. I wish the tree fell on the asshole who killed
the tree.

well twiddle dee and dwidle dumb, the tree is on my
property, and does not involve a neighbor. It is just in
an area where it will take a lot of work , I don't want to
do, to dig it up......of course, I did ask for intelligent
answers, but I see you could not resist responding anyway

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
[...]

You must be new here, huh? With an post like yours, of course people are
going to try and read between the lines and assume stuff. That is what
we do here.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
ications,
"nefletch" wrote:

Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of
object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

I once had a problem with 3 needle palms planted in a narrow area behind
a garage. They had gotten out of hand and were growing up into the
utility lines above.

I cut them down low as I could several times, but they kept rapidly
sprouting back. I piled rock salt on top of the three, but amazingly it
had no effect...

Next I 'roughed' up the top of each stump and poured about a quart of
automatic transmission fluid over each... it rapidly stopped them cold
in their tracks.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
nefletch wrote:
[...]

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT???

Just kidding. ;-)

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort of
object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

Just keep cutting the new growth every couple days and eventually the
root system will die. No chemicals needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
nefletch wrote:
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it
to grow. And it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height,
and it can stay there as long as it don't grow anymore.
It is approximately 5 inches across right now. What can
I do to kill it? should I drill holes in the top and pour
shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often? Do they make some sort
of object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

You could whittle a nice statue. Then shellac it.

Totem Pole for midgets.
Asphalt the surrounding area and make a basketball court for toddlers.
Build a tee-pee around it.

Every time I think of tee-pee, I recall a contest where "Timbuktu" was to be
used in a poem:

Me and Tim a hikin' went,
Met three girls with a pop-up tent,
Since they was three and we was two
I bucked one and Timbuktu.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in message
ications...
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it to grow. And
it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height, and it can
stay there as long as it don't grow anymore. It is approximately 5
inches across right now. What can I do to kill it? should I drill
holes in the top and pour shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often?
Do they make some sort of object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

I had a state forester come out to our cabin and he showed us how select
trees for removal and those as 'crop trees' - keepers. He came across an
invasive called a Tree of Heaven and told us that it had to go if we were
smart. It must have been 50' tall. He said that girdling was not the issue
nor was cutting. The tree would reflexively send up shoots from every root
and force seed pod production. He stated that we needed to use a hatchet
and make NON-intersecting, horizontal slashes. Pour in a brush killer at
full strength, re-applying weekly (sounds a lot like Colbyt's response!).
Ours was a bit of a drive and we couldn't make multiple apps but the tree
looked pretty sick in the spring but it was leafing out much better by late
spring so we did it again. We will leave the dead snag as habitat for
wildlife.
Oh yea, had an elderly neighbor who drove 5 copper spikes into a massive
sycamore and it didn't even burp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only a piece of **** (human) such as yourself ,would kill a tree because its somewhere €œI do not want it€ . I detest the human race . We are a selfish race . We are like a virus , its terrible. We need trees to breath incase you have forgotten. Why do you have to kill it? Maybe someone should do the same to you . Oh , sorry ....youre located somewhere I do not want you to be . Time for you to die . The poor tree has probably been there for years and years . Idc how old this post is . This **** really really upsets me . Asshole !

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ee-388122-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/21 1:45 AM, Emsor82 wrote:
Only a piece of **** (human) such as yourself ,would kill a tree because its somewhere €œI do not want it€ . I detest the human race . We are a selfish race . We are like a virus , its
terrible. We need trees to breath incase you have forgotten. Why do you have to kill it? Maybe someone should do the same to you . Oh , sorry ....youre located somewhere I do not want you to
be . Time for you to die . The poor tree has probably been there for years and years . Idc how old this post is . This **** really really upsets me . Asshole !

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ee-388122-.htm

I hate it when a piece of **** human plants trees under power lines. If a tree is within tipping distance of a power line, cut the ****ing thing down. Fire up the Stihl!

Killing Tree Roots [email protected] Home Repair 9 March 9th 08 01:49 AM
Killing a tree??? Mark Woodworking 19 June 18th 07 04:49 AM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM
Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat 1_Patriotic_Gal Home Repair 16 May 22nd 04 02:31 PM