Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic or Aluminum Sliding Doors

I have several 12' sliding patio doors, using 4' panels. Inside trim is
standard but on the outside, the flanges are imbedded in the stucco
surrounding the doors. The doors are single pane glass and I would like to
replace them with dual pane glass, for obvious reasons.

The Window Replacement Companies that I consulted want to put a plastic
frame inside the existing aluminum frame and replace the aluminum sliding
doors with plastic frame doors. They are not interested in replacing the
aluminum windows with new aluminum windows because they do not like to work
with stucco. They say that's a big mess and effort.

The problem is that the existing black anodized aluminum frames are very
narrow and thus do not diminish the view through the doors. If I replace
them with plastic frames, I will lose about 15 to 20% of my view, which
would be a shame.

Rather than use plastic replacement windows, how big a job is it to remove
the stucco from around the frames and just put in new aluminum frames? Is
this a DIY project?

Thanks for any input. Any other solutions to this dilemma?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
[...]

IMHO, not DIY. Also not a job for any window company that advertises on
TV or in the Sunday paper. (Their main business is lending money- the
'windows' they sell are just a hook to get you in the tent.) Call a few
real window/door companies and/or general contractors that specialize in
remodeling. They actually know how to do it. It won't be cheap. Only you
can crunch the numbers and decide it the heating/cooling payback, the
tax credit payback, and the presumed small bump in resale value, make it
a financial winner or not.

As to how to find a good company- if there is any new construction in
your town, drive by and see who is putting those windows in. Ask friends
and coworkers who did their last remodel job, and if they are happy with
the work. The good companies don't advertise or have flashy trucks- they
don't need to. They get all the work they want via word of mouth.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good advice. Thank you. I have always been very leery of the "Window
Replacement Contractors". Their advertising, and there is plenty of it,
smells of snake oil.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I did exactly what you are talking about. I don't know your capabilities,
but anyone who is reasonably hand can do the job of replacing a patio door
in a stucco wall.

I used a skill saw with a masonry blade and cut back far enough to be beyond
the door nailing flange, then broke out the narrow band of stucco and
removed the door.
After installing the new door, I used ready mix stucco to fill in the gap
around the new door. That is probably the most difficult-getting the patch
to not show-but it did come pretty well. A couple of coats of matching
paint and you are done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

- If you live in a (cold winter climate) go for the plastic. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

paint and you are done.- Hide quoted text -

When they repaired the stucco at work they used a bonding agent on the
old stucco. I would think you would want to do the same.

Jimmie

Glass Sliding Cupboard Doors + Sliding Track Miguel UK diy 1 July 22nd 09 03:14 PM
Can you paint an aluminum sliding glass door? MiamiCuse Home Repair 6 November 28th 07 04:27 AM
sliding doors Andy Burns UK diy 5 December 24th 06 05:52 PM
Kitchen Cabinets: Sliding Aluminum Glass Doors and track system? HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 0 April 13th 05 06:40 AM
Sliding Doors Justo Ruiz UK diy 2 August 7th 03 09:57 AM