Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Night time visitors

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

Couple of years ago I trapped a momma skunk and she had 4 kids that
would not leave and were jumping all around and over the trap. Managed
to get it open and release her without getting sprayed. I regret not
videotaping because it was one of the neatest things I had ever seen.
They say a skunk will not spray when in a trap but I'll be damned if I'd
put it in my car to relocate to a remote area. I had thought it was
raccoons getting at my garbage but ended up solving problem with a
locking can lid. Skunks left the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 1:01*pm, Frank wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen.

I had a family of littles ones fall asleep under my camping chair
while sitting by a fire. I watched the mother get real close the fire
and the fire cracked. It scared the skunk, its tail went up but then
she calmed down. The rest of the people I was camping with though I
was nuts to sit that close. They hid in the camper until they left,
about 2 hours later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 11:50*am, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

Why bother them, their favorite food is rodents, you could have a real
nightmare trapping one and have the rest protect it. They really wont
bother you, they are more scared than you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

Aw, the little guys are just trying to make a living in difficult times.

Me? I'd put out the dog food without a trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Why? What's going on in your head that the response to seeing an animal
is to trap it? Skunks have been living under my deck for 20 years. If I
leave the door open, they wander into the kitchen and chow down on some
cat food. I don't get people who have a problem with sharing the planet
with animals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 07 Aug 2009 09:50:22a, Mysterious Traveler told us...

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

I have a co-worker who has a pet skunk that he acquired as a four week old
abandoned baby that he bottle fed. At 3 months he had her de-scented and
spayed. "Lily" lives indoors and is very much like a cat in behavior. She
uses a litterbox, eats mostly cat food and various other foods and
supplements recommended by her vet. She is now about 6 years old and has
made a wonderful pet.

--
Wayne Boatwright
What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Smitty Two, sang this song and played a tune on the worlds smallest
violin:
Why? What's going on in your head that the response to seeing an animal
is to trap it? Skunks have been living under my deck for 20 years. If I
leave the door open, they wander into the kitchen and chow down on some
cat food. I don't get people who have a problem with sharing the planet
with animals.

Early in the morning about two o'clock they have a tendency to stop
outside my window and spray a little perfume around for some reason.
With the warm nighttime temperatures it's nice to have a window open
until that fine scent drifts through, if you know what I mean.

Most of our skunks seem to be the Hooded variety, which are rare in
this area.
http://www.thewebsiteofeverything.co...-macroura.html

Mysterious Traveler

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

Early in the morning about two o'clock they have a tendency to stop
outside my window and spray a little perfume around for some reason.

It's probably because your snoring annoys them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 4:34*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Mysterious Traveler wrote:

Early in the morning about two o'clock they have a tendency to stop
outside my window and spray a little perfume around for some reason.

It's probably because your snoring annoys them.

Nice to see some appreciation for natural critters and that all the
postings were NOT of the trap-em, poison-em, shoot-em, nuke-em
variety.
Sure having animals/creatures of the non-human variety (although many
of the human brand are unwelcome too) can be a problem. Many tend to
chew, gnaw, burrow and or bring insect pests with them.
I have neighbour who cannot keep deciduous trees at his summer place;
the moose eat the saplings of maple etc. right down the ground.
Tastier than the natural birch and other more common varieties we
guess?
But in many areas due to the overuse of chemicals/herbicides/
pesticides/plastics and industry human sprawl, natural activities have
been too much disturbed. Look at the problem with the lack of bees and
other insects that pollinate plants, including food crops such as corn/
maize.
So hats off to whatever tolerance we can muster for 'wildlife'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 1:20*am, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Mysterious Traveler wrote:

While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Smitty Two, sang this song and played a tune on the worlds smallest
violin: Why? What's going on in your head that the response to seeing an animal
is to trap it? Skunks have been living under my deck for 20 years. If I
leave the door open, they wander into the kitchen and chow down on some
cat food. I don't get people who have a problem with sharing the planet
with animals.

Early in the morning about two o'clock they have a tendency to stop
outside my window and spray a little perfume around for some reason.
With the warm nighttime temperatures it's nice to have a window open
until that fine scent drifts through, if you know what I mean.

Most of our skunks seem to be the Hooded variety, which are rare in
this area.http://www.thewebsiteofeverything.co...arnivora/Muste...

Mysterious Traveler- Hide quoted text -

I had one do that, then I couldnt sleep for days, it did it every
month to mark its area. it stopped when I did my own scenting to
overpower the skunks, I used bleach if I remember or amonia, its lasts
maybe 2 months, try bleach first. It better then waking up gaging
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 7:38*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

Aw, the little guys are just trying to make a living in difficult times.

Me? I'd put out the dog food without a trap.

They showed a lady on tv news who did that with raccoons and she
woulnt stop, after a year she had 40 or so at her pool every night
eating a few big bags of dog food, she didnt want to stop because she
was afraid they would starve and said she couldnt afford to pay her
other bills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mysterious Traveler wrote in
:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:

[...]

http://www.thewebsiteofeverything.co...nivora/Musteli
dae/Mephitis/Mephitis-macroura.html

Mysterious Traveler

skunks don't spray for nothing;
something must be threatening them,for them to be spraying near your home.
Perhaps a cat?

Maybe you should put out some mothballs around your open windows and keep
the skunks away from them.
Once they realize the mothballs are there,they won't come back.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:38 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

Heh! I saw that. Animal control came out with 40-50 traps. They didn't
reveal the actual outcome, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote in
:

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

If I ping one with a BB gun, how far can it ****?

1 ft farther than you would like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Aug 8, 1:20 am, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I'll try the bleach.
Thanks
Mysterious Traveler
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
While sitting outside last night, before the moon was up, I
started hearing noises and turned on the flashlight to find
the cutest group of four little skunks I've ever seen. You
know they have virtually no fear of humans until you get
excited and stand up cursing. I got out the "Have a Heart"
trap, put some canned dog food inside and half hoped to
catch them and half hoped I didn't. The trap was empty
this morning.

I'll try again tonight.

Mysterious Traveler

If I ping one with a BB gun, how far can it ****?

A good bait is an egg. Just put it in the havaheart and you should
catch it. I have bees, and as long as the skunks stay away from them
all is fine. Occasionally I have to trap one and remove it.

I approach the trap with a tarp in front of me and cover the trap.
Then take it to where it is to be released. Lock one end open and get
away. Usually they just leave and do not spray.

However, if they are not bothering anything, leave them be since they
do clear out a lot of things like grubs that feed on lawns.

GA