Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What wire for this unit

Hi,

I hope the experts in this group don't feel like I'm asking them to do
what I can do myself.

I own this unit:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/fv4b-2pd.pdf

which controls the A/C only, not heating.

I need to figure out what wire to run to this unit. I don't want to go
by the existing wire b/c the previous owner was not in the habit of
doing things right.

Am I reading the document correctly that its 230V and then under 9amps?
In that case, should I go simply with a 14/2?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I hope the experts in this group don't feel like I'm asking them to do
what I can do myself.

I own this unit:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/fv4b-2pd.pdf

which controls the A/C only, not heating.

I need to figure out what wire to run to this unit. I don't want to go by
the existing wire b/c the previous owner was not in the habit of doing
things right.

Am I reading the document correctly that its 230V and then under 9amps? In
that case, should I go simply with a 14/2?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Usually the specs sheet tells you what size breaker to use and the breaker
determines the wire size. And yours does on page 17.

I have a small 220v AC unit at one of the rentals it is on a 20 amp breaker
and wired with number 12 wire. To meet modern codes you need three
conductors and a ground so you are looking for 12/3 with ground. I would
pull number 12 wire even if I used a 15 amp breaker. Your wire can be over
sized but never undersized.

That way if you need to upsize the unit later most likely you will not need
new wire, just a new breaker.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I hope the experts in this group don't feel like I'm asking them to do
what I can do myself.

I own this unit:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/fv4b-2pd.pdf

which controls the A/C only, not heating.

I need to figure out what wire to run to this unit. I don't want to go by
the existing wire b/c the previous owner was not in the habit of doing
things right.

Am I reading the document correctly that its 230V and then under 9amps? In
that case, should I go simply with a 14/2?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

If you are not using the heating elements, then by the chart on page 17 you
need to use a # 14 or larger wire and 15 amp breaker or larger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Page 17 says 14 ga or larger wire, and 15 amp breaker. 230
volt fan.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I hope the experts in this group don't feel like I'm asking
them to do
what I can do myself.

I own this unit:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/fv4b-2pd.pdf

which controls the A/C only, not heating.

I need to figure out what wire to run to this unit. I don't
want to go
by the existing wire b/c the previous owner was not in the
habit of
doing things right.

Am I reading the document correctly that its 230V and then
under 9amps?
In that case, should I go simply with a 14/2?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Page 17 says 14 ga or larger wire, and 15 amp breaker. 230
volt fan.

Just to confirm, that 14/2 each wire carrying 120 from opposite phases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm,
12/3 and ground wire? How come?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Was there ever another choice? You astound me, sometimes.
Hey, please call for help on this job. I'm starting to think
you're in over your head. At least get someone who's done
this kind of thing before.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Page 17 says 14 ga or larger wire, and 15 amp breaker. 230
volt fan.

Just to confirm, that 14/2 each wire carrying 120 from
opposite phases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

12 to get you 20 amps.
12/3 so that you'll have a white wire, for a neutral. In
case some 110 VAC equipment is needed up in the attic.
WG, so that there is a dedicated ground.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
12/3 and ground wire? How come?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...ts/techlit/fv4....

[...]

12/3 and ground wire? How come?- Hide quoted text -

Good advice in my opinion.
Just in case the existing or future unit will need 230 volts and also
a neutral.
And the price of a few feet of 12/3 compared to 12/2 (both with ground
of course) or to 14/2 will be so slight as not be very significant.
Done that myself several times. The extra wire sometimes coming in
useful for extra control or monitoring functions. e.g. hooked up to
see if, say, the fans are running????
Another example is our hot water tank; since we had a part coil of
10/3 so we used that and breakered it for 30 amps**. The extra
conductor was/is not needed but it avoided buying a separate coil or
length of wire for just that. and if ever needed to hook up an
indicator lamp to see, for example, how often the lower heating
element is cutting in, the wiring is right there back to the panel.
** Just in case, as we once had to, bypass the flip flop thermostat
and allow both upper and lower tank heaters to operate at same time,
when we had five extra people staying in the house for nearly a month!
(And a motor home parked outside at same time for couple of weeks).
Lotsa washing up, clothes washing and showers etc.
3000 watts/230 = 13 amps. 6000 watts/230 = 26 amps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Possible, yes. But safe?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I suppose it would make everyone's brain hurt if I told you
it is
possible to have a 40a breaker on 14ga wire feeding an HVAC
condenser.
This all depends on what the minimum circuit ampacity and
maximum
overcurrent protection is listed on the label.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes it is perfectly safe. With many air conditioners the circuit Over
Current Protective Device (OCPD) is only there to provide protection
against short circuit or ground fault. The overload protection for
both the compressor and the circuit is provided by an overload
protective device located at or even in the compressor housing. The
overload is designed to allow the compressor to start which with some
motor compressor units a breaker sized for the running current or the
wire size would not do. So the breaker is sized to the locked rotor
current so that the compressor can actually draw enough current to
start the load. If the running current increases do to overload then
the built in overload at the compressor opens the circuit to protect
the supply circuit and the motor from the overheating and insulation
failure that would result from a prolonged over current condition.
--
Tom Horne

On Aug 7, 10:23*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Possible, yes. But safe?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I suppose it would make everyone's brain hurt if I told you
it is
possible to have a 40a breaker on 14ga wire feeding an HVAC
condenser.
This all depends on what the minimum circuit ampacity and
maximum
overcurrent protection is listed on the label.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Mormon wrote:
Page 17 says 14 ga or larger wire, and 15 amp breaker. 230
volt fan.

Just to confirm, that 14/2 each wire carrying 120 from
opposite phases.

That would seem to be the minimum required. But, as others have
pointed out, given that it's an air handler that's being installed,
running 12/3 would allow you flexibility in the future to support a
larger load, as well as 120V for possible use to power something else,
eg humidifier, air cleaner, etc. The cost diff for the wire isn't
much.