Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on purchasing a home with no basement

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
benick wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...
benick wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...
benick wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am
wondering
how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to
move
the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another
wall,also
add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Chances are pretty good the plumbing is in the slab and would
require
jackhammering holes and trenches to relocate it then patching the
concrete
which is difficult but doable..Wiring is probably above the
ceiling
and
goes
down the walls....Plan on a complete gut of the kitchen which by
the
sounds
you are doing anyway...Probably not a DIYer project....Adding
outlets
in
other rooms probably would require holes in the ceiling and walls
that
would
require patching and painting...Not a nightmare for pros but could
be
for
DIYer...Expensive as well , especially the kitchen
part.........HTH...
I didn't infer "slab" from "no basement."
If there is NO access under the house it must be on a slab...I've
seen
few
houses like he described...Usually a modular or stick built ranch on
slab..Yes , even in the northeast...LOL....I guess I infered
right....
No basement typically means "crawlspace" in the northeast. Slab on
grade
construction doesn't generally cut it with the frost depths up there.
BULL****...There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of homes here in Maine , NH ,
Mass
,Vt. , NY , ect , built on SLABS...Not to mention all the mobile homes
,
garages and sheds sitting on slabs....Your full of **** clear to your
ears....No basement does NOT typically mean there is a crawl
space...You're
an idiot....Have you ever even been "up here" ??? LOL....
Ah, I see you're another trolling child. Grow up.
what you're not gonna back up your bull****....Typical of somebody who
has
been shown for the idiot they are....Call me a childish name , then run
and
hide...LOL...

When you grow up, perhaps you will actually be able to purchase a house
of your own instead of leaching off of public assistance. In the
meantime, pay attention in science class so you might understand what
happens when water freezes.

As for me, I lived in the miserable frozen northeast for several
decades, so I understand frost lines and the need for deep footings.

Oh, you CAN make a slab house in the frozen north, or (more common in the
areas I have lived in) a crawlspace house, but why would you want to?
Unless the lot has a high water table or underground spring, a basement is
the cheapest enclosed space you can add at time of original construction.
The footers for the slab or crawl have to be below frost line anyway, so
you make as well go down another 4 feet. If the excavator, and the mason
or concrete truck, have to be on site anyway, the cost of the additional
digging and wall is trivial compared to the overall cost of the house. If
I ever get enough money to build a house, it will definitely have a
basement. Nice bare concrete, with floor drains, and a walkout door, if at
all possible.

Haven't seen many pier or sleeper houses up north, but they are
dirt-common down south.

--
aem sends...

Most would like a basement but the prohibitive cost of blasting out the
ledger that sits just 2-5 feet down is to much for modest priced single
story homes and double wides..I have a full basement but it was built into a
hillside basicly on top of the ground and the lot was filled in around it on
3 sides with a wood wall , walk out entry door and windows on the front
(downhill side) just like your dreaming of...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

If there is NO access under the house it must be on a slab...I've seen a few
houses like he described...Usually a modular or stick built ranch on a
slab..Yes , even in the northeast...LOL....I guess I infered right....

He didn't say "NO access." He said "no basement." Maybe it's a slab,
maybe it's a crawlspace. And stop LOL'ing all the time. It's
disingenuous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

An American living in a tent is still an AMERICAN and far superior to
the mindless hordes who inhabit the rest of the globe!

On Aug 6, 10:10*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm,
Little better than a big tent?
I just can't believe No. 1 powerful country like U.S. has houses like
that??? Are they built per code? Fire, flood, quake, general safety, all
that.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

If it had a crawl space he would have access and moving drains wouldn't be a
nightmare even if you had to cut the floor to do it..A wood floor would be
easy to cut , cement , not so easy and since he is changing the whole layout
he is going to have to install new floor anyway....Trying to move plumbing
with a slab however , is a nightmare..Just going by his description....

What are you , the net nanny for the week ??? LOL..LOL...LOL.... ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM