DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sharpening a Forstner bit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/283885-sharpening-forstner-bit.html)

[email protected] August 6th 09 02:40 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

Jim Elbrecht August 6th 09 12:04 PM

Sharpening a Forstner bit

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:40:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

If you had gone to google.com and typed in your subject line you would
have gotten 13000 hits or so including 3 minute videos and a huge
discussion of the different types of forstner bits.

It is pretty straightforward. Buy a good file and go for it.

Jim

[email protected] August 6th 09 01:04 PM

Sharpening a Forstner bit

Thanks for the suggestions, especially to try Google. Very helpful.
Wish I'd thought of it myself.

Lynn Willis

Jon Danniken[_2_] August 6th 09 01:26 PM

Sharpening a Forstner bit

wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, especially to try Google. Very helpful.
Wish I'd thought of it myself.

That's okay, we've all done it too.

Jon