Posted to alt.home.repair

Default for those of you who say land lines are reliable

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
N8N wrote in

:

On Aug 5, 2:30 pm, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

...Verizon ...
... Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? (I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. Otherwise...)
Because the land line _IS_ more reliable.
It never ****ing works! She called me on her cell phone to tell me
her land line wasn't working again. Now explain to me how the land
line is more reliable.

Explain? OK.

99.95% of the time when I use my land line it works fine & clear.
99.95% of the time when I call someone on a land line it's fine &
clear. 99.95% of the time when I use a land line it doesn't
disconnect. 99.95% of the time when I call a land line they don't
disconnect. 99.95% of the time when I call a cell phone it sucks.
Excuse me? What did you say? Are you still there. What was that?
Huh?
99.95% of the time when a cell phone calls me I'm always saying
Excuse me? What did you say? Are you still there. What was that?
Huh?

100% of the time a cell phone costs 4x that of a land line.
100% of the time land line local calls are not clocked.
100% of the time I don't need power company service to use the
landline. 100% of the time I can call 911 on the cell I keep in the
car that
has no service. That is if the ****ing thing gets a signal.

Explained.

Except your assertions are the exact opposite of my experience. Land
line has MORE down time and is MORE expensive than my cell phone!

Seriously, the last time I had "service" with Verizon it was
approaching 25% down time (this was in MD) and my parents are rapidly
approaching that point.

nate

I'm on Embarq in NC, formerly Sprint. Apparently a BIG difference Nate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
I just got a call from my mom, to tell me yet again to not bother
trying to call on the land line, to call her cell instead if I need to
tell her anything.

this is getting rediculous, Verizon has to have the worst customer
service of any "legitimate" company in the history of this country. I
mean, I can't imagine anyone else providing such awful service and
staying in business. Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? (I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. Otherwise...)

She said she was calling her state representative AGAIN to complain,
and that several neighbors were without service as well...

nate

my land line works just fine. She can either bitch about it, or have it
fixed. her choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 22:54:28 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

N8N wrote in
:

On Aug 5, 2:30*pm, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

[...]

I hate cell phones as well. Too damn small to talk on for any length
of time, and half the time you can't understand the person on the
other end.

Out here, with the advent of dsl, the phone company decided it wasn't
worth it to keep a huge battery in their dsl remote. If power is off
for more than a few hours the phone goes down. The good news is that
if power is off for a short time I can still get on the internet with
the power off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 6, 10:15*am, Steve Barker wrote:
N8N wrote:
I just got a call from my mom, to tell me yet again to not bother
trying to call on the land line, to call her cell instead if I need to
tell her anything.

this is getting rediculous, Verizon has to have the worst customer
service of any "legitimate" company in the history of this country. *I
mean, I can't imagine anyone else providing such awful service and
staying in business. *Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? *(I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. *Otherwise...)

She said she was calling her state representative AGAIN to complain,
and that several neighbors were without service as well...

nate

my land line works just fine. *She can either bitch about it, or have it
fixed. *her choice.

How does she "have it fixed?" Calling Verizon, the state PUC, and her
representative have not resulted in a functional phone line. Can you
recommend someone?

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
N8N wrote:

Then I must be colossally unlucky, having moved at least once a year
for a while and ALWAYS having problems with my POTS. (and usually
getting rude, indifferent service to boot.)

I didn't bother having it turned on the last time I moved and I
haven't yet missed it. Been there for almost three years now.

nate

Your original question, I believe, was why don't more people cancel
their land lines. I think it would be fair to say at this point that the
answer is pretty obvious: we all haven't had the same problems that you
have. If I'd had your experiences, I'd feel the same way you do.

I can only recall one time in my whole life when I had any problem at
all, and it was resolved quickly by the phone company - Verizon. My
cell, OTOH, is often a nuisance, with latency, dropped calls, and ****ty
fidelity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:54*pm, Red Green wrote:
N8N wrote :

On Aug 5, 2:30*pm, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

...Verizon ...
... Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? *(I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. *Otherwise...)

Because the land line _IS_ more reliable.

It never ****ing works! *She called me on her cell phone to tell me
her land line wasn't working again. *Now explain to me how the land
line is more reliable.

Explain? OK.

99.95% of the time when I use my land line it works fine & clear.
99.95% of the time when I call someone on a land line it's fine & clear.
99.95% of the time when I use a land line it doesn't disconnect.
99.95% of the time when I call a land line they don't disconnect.

The OP is a notorious idiot and k00k.

In this example he extrapolates from one example of poor land line
service near the middle of nowhere to every other area... of the
world, it seems safe to presume...

And, of course, he has no reservations about lying and/or otherwise
exaggerating to a ridiculous degree to support his position, as he has
already posted.

He seems to often adhere to the idea that if it can't be "proven" to
be a lie, readers are required to believe it. It has never occurred
to him, AFAICT, that extraordinary claims require extraordinary
evidence.

If his claim that his Verizon's land line service in MD was
"approaching 25% downtime" obviously other MD residents so afflicted
would be switching providers and/or screaming to the FCC and/or
seeking a class action.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:13:19 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

I just got a call from my mom, to tell me yet again to not bother
trying to call on the land line, to call her cell instead if I need to
tell her anything.

this is getting rediculous, Verizon has to have the worst customer
service of any "legitimate" company in the history of this country. I
mean, I can't imagine anyone else providing such awful service and
staying in business. Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? (I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. Otherwise...)

She said she was calling her state representative AGAIN to complain,
and that several neighbors were without service as well...

nate

I don't use telephone nor cell. No interruptions, I use email.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:21:07 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

[snup]

I don't use telephone nor cell. No interruptions, I use email.

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, wonnnnderful spam! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

(...)

Don't mess with me Winston. I've seen all the Steven Segal movies.

(Snort!)

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
[...]

Nope, just keep calling everytime they don't fix it correctly. They'll
eventually get tired of the calls and fix it properly. Call everyday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:22*pm, N8N wrote:
make them put in one of those grey demarc boxes where the wire enters
the house, that way they can say with 100% certainty that the failure
is Not Their Problem by simply plugging a hard wired phone into the
demarc with the line going into the house disconnected.

There's a demarc box in the basement already.

When the phone goes out, they plug directly into the demarc box. STILL
DEAD.

Tell Verizon that. They STILL THREATEN.

Oh but for the good old days of Ma Bell... At least when there was one
big company, the government could regulate them and force them to
provide a certain level of service. Now it's deregulated and these
baby Bells have you over a barrel. There's no competition, no choice.
Verizon owns ALL the wires in the ground in the area. You get phone
from Verizon or you don't get a phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, just keep calling everytime they don't fix it correctly. �They'll
eventually get tired of the calls and fix it properly. �Call everyday.

I tried that every day for 3 WEEKLS

It didnt help had to call verizon presidents office TWICE, to get a
network tech to fix a fios noisey router.

come october I am out of contract and going to be a PIA.

they richly deserve it!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller, 8/7/2009,4:56:57 PM, wrote:

Nope, just keep calling everytime they don't fix it correctly.
�They'll eventually get tired of the calls and fix it properly.
�Call everyday.

I tried that every day for 3 WEEKLS

It didnt help had to call verizon presidents office TWICE, to get a
network tech to fix a fios noisey router.

come october I am out of contract and going to be a PIA.

they richly deserve it!!

I can verify your experience is not atypical with Verizon FiOS customer
support. Just making the call is tortuous in the first place. It is
very hard to get a live person and you must go through endless routines
with the automated voice before you get through to a person. Say
"AGENT" three times and that should get you through. Then the rep has
11 minutes to get you off the phone so they don't have time to read the
previous notes and immediately jump to the standard troubleshooting
even if you tell them this has already been done five times. In order
for each level of support to escalate it to the next level they must
prove it is not within the scope of their level and troubleshooting
tools. If it gets escalated to Level 2 and they think they have fixed
it remotely, they need only leave a message twice before closing the
trouble ticket. Once it's closed you start all over again with the
entire process. If Level 2 can't fix it because it's an order problem
or farther into the network then they have to put it into someone
else's bucket after they prove they can't fix it. God forbid you have
a billing problem or something goes wrong on a move order, that's when
the real hell starts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 6:23�pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
[...]

verizon fixed the agent statement it no longer works

I WISH the media would expose their poor customer service......

I forgot to mention theres a LARGE tree being supported by the main
neighborhood fios line, the cable is taunt and the weight is bending
and leaning the utility poles. the tree is on a abandoned right of way
from 1950 when the homes were built.

verizon refuses to trim any tree, its against company policy. they
wait till the line fails, which will likely be during a storm slowing
service restoration.

they dont care,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:13*am, N8N wrote:
I just got a call from my mom, to tell me yet again to not bother
trying to call on the land line, to call her cell instead if I need to
tell her anything.

this is getting rediculous, Verizon has to have the worst customer
service of any "legitimate" company in the history of this country. *I
mean, I can't imagine anyone else providing such awful service and
staying in business. *Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? *(I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. *Otherwise...)

Hear, hear! You took the electrons out of my mouth. I was fool
enough to sign up for their FIOS TV, internet and phone in a fairly
inexpensive package
Whatta nightmare!

Nobody to complain too; just robots on the phone or on-linel
TV picture is cut off on both sides. Email is a primitive design.
Billing was wildly inaccurate; took months to get it adjusted
to what I bought, and credit issued.

I finally send a fax to the Verizon CEO enumerating the whole
ghastly experience. Somebody from the exec ofc got back
to me, so I hope they will DO SOMETHING.

She said she was calling her state representative AGAIN to complain,
and that several neighbors were without service as well...

nate

Contaminated Land Andrew Mawson UK diy 21 August 3rd 07 09:46 PM
drain across my land alanb[_2_] UK diy 3 July 19th 07 08:33 PM
Denuding the land Eigenvector Home Repair 18 June 30th 07 03:50 AM
From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top [email protected] Home Repair 14 September 27th 06 02:23 AM
Raising Land John Keyser Home Ownership 5 August 13th 05 05:57 AM