Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fatigued washers?

Hi,

Just bought a new saw which we disassembled for shipping.

In putting it back together I observed that the washed are "fatigued".
They have the imprints of the spring lock washers in them.

Is it a good idea to replace them or is it actually better to use these
"broken in" washers?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 4, 7:40*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just bought a new saw which we disassembled for shipping.

In putting it back together I observed that the washed are "fatigued".
They have the imprints of the spring lock washers in them.

Is it a good idea to replace them or is it actually better to use these
"broken in" washers?

Thanks,

Aaron

Replace them if you can find some that are absolutely identical. The
imprints show that the lock washers were working. Don't overtorque the
bolt/nut system. Careful mechanics use inch-pound torque wrenches to
get things uniformly tight to prevent binding or warping housings.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 5:40*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just bought a new saw which we disassembled for shipping.

In putting it back together I observed that the washed are "fatigued".
They have the imprints of the spring lock washers in them.

Is it a good idea to replace them or is it actually better to use these
"broken in" washers?

Thanks,

Aaron

That's not metal fatigue. The washers just yielded (squished) under
pressure. New ones of the same material will do the same thing
assuming they are tightened the same. It's not a big deal.

What's The Name For These Washers [email protected] UK diy 23 October 10th 08 11:48 PM
Tap Washers Dave Osborne UK diy 5 January 19th 08 02:05 AM
Pressure washers TonyK UK diy 2 October 25th 06 10:53 AM
Tap washers john UK diy 10 January 10th 06 01:13 AM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM