Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stain Removal

One of the daughter-units took it upon herself to lube-and-grease her
bicycle. I applaud her self-starter can-do attitude and follow-through. The
bike looks marvelous and rides like new.

Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from tire-and-road
grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but there is clearly a large
scuff dead-center in her hood. The sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and
fleece-like in texture. I've hit it with my three spot removing cleaners
already; Zout, Spot it, and Shout. None of the three even dented the black
hole.

I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 12:53*pm, "The Ranger" cuhulain _ wrote:
One of the daughter-units took it upon herself to lube-and-grease her
bicycle. I applaud her self-starter can-do attitude and follow-through. The
bike looks marvelous and rides like new.

Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from tire-and-road
grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but there is clearly a large
scuff dead-center in her hood. The sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and
fleece-like in texture. I've hit it with my three spot removing cleaners
already; Zout, Spot it, and Shout. None of the three even dented the black
hole.

I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Krud Kutter. It doesn't even stink like most degreasers.

http://www.epinions.com/Krud_Kutter_...splay_~reviews
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
One of the daughter-units took it upon herself to lube-and-grease her
bicycle. I applaud her self-starter can-do attitude and
follow-through. The bike looks marvelous and rides like new.

Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from
tire-and-road grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but
there is clearly a large scuff dead-center in her hood. The
sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and fleece-like in texture. I've
hit it with my three spot removing cleaners already; Zout, Spot it,
and Shout. None of the three even dented the black hole.

I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.

Rub waterless hand cleaner (like Goop) into the grease stain. Let it sit
overnight. Wash by itself. Wash again to get rid of the smell.

It takes off the worst black grease for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
One of the daughter-units took it upon herself to lube-and-grease her
bicycle. I applaud her self-starter can-do attitude and follow-through. The
bike looks marvelous and rides like new.

Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from tire-and-road
grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but there is clearly a large
scuff dead-center in her hood. The sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and
fleece-like in texture. I've hit it with my three spot removing cleaners
already; Zout, Spot it, and Shout. None of the three even dented the black
hole.

I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Hi,
I'd just send it to dry cleaner and buy her a cover all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

Don't deprive your child of a learning opportunity. Let her wear it
the way it is. Next time she wants to play mechanic, she'll choose
appropriate work clothing.

Buy her a set of coveralls and an apron for use when doing greasy/grimey
jobs. Bottle of orange goop with pumice, too.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" cuhulain _ wrote in message
ndwidth...
One of the daughter-units took it upon herself to lube-and-grease her
bicycle. I applaud her self-starter can-do attitude and follow-through.

The
bike looks marvelous and rides like new.

Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from tire-and-road
grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but there is clearly a

large
scuff dead-center in her hood. The sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and
fleece-like in texture. I've hit it with my three spot removing cleaners
already; Zout, Spot it, and Shout. None of the three even dented the black
hole.

I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

You didn't say exactly what the stain consists of but assuming it's bearing
grease it is probably soluble in a number of solvents. I would first try
paint thinner or naphtha and only use more powerful solvents if necessary.
Dampen a Q-tip in some of the solvent and blot out excess solvent (damp, not
wet). Try applying it someplace where it isn't noticeable just in case it
causes the color to run. If it appears to not damage the fabric then take a
paper towel and seperate the layers so you have a 1-ply sheet. Get a vacuum
cleaner with a hose and cover the hose with screen or whatever to keep the
fabric from being sucked in. Place the fabric (right-side-up) over the
screen with the paper towel between the screen and fabric. Turn it on.
Gradually apply the solvent, moving the paper towel as it becomes full of
the grease. Do not allow the fabric to become too saturated or a stain ring
will result. Feather the edges of the solvent to prevent rings. The idea
here is to suck the grease from the sweatshirt into the paper towel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

[...]

Uh, I don't think it's really wise to suck solvent vapors into a vacuum
cleaner where they may pass through the motor's cooling path which
likely includes a sparking commutator.

You could qualify for a Darwin Award that way.

Even though you may have done it several times without ill effect,
thet's no guarantee that the next guy who tries it, with a different
vacuum cleaner, won't get into trouble.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
Ulysses wrote:

[...]

Are you saying my stain removal method sucks?

You could qualify for a Darwin Award that way.

Even though you may have done it several times without ill effect,
thet's no guarantee that the next guy who tries it, with a different
vacuum cleaner, won't get into trouble.

Well, I've actually done it hundreds of times. The concentration of
flammable solvent to air ratio is so low I don't think it could be ignited.
And even if it did, it would probably turn the vacuum motor into a jet
engine briefly giving it a little more power. And if it did somehow explode
at least the stain would be gone.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Follow-up on Stain Removal

Dan Musicant wrote in message

:
:Unfortunately, a favorite sweatshirt took a direct hit from tire-and-road
:grime. I'm not even sure how she got it tagged but there is clearly a
large
:scuff dead-center in her hood. The sweatshirt is 100% cotton, white, and
:fleece-like in texture. I've hit it with my three spot removing cleaners
:already; Zout, Spot it, and Shout. None of the three even dented the
black
:hole.
:
:I'm looking for other ideas without damaging the fabric's integrity.
:
:Many thanks!
:
The three I'd try are

1. Goop - dab, let sit a while and wash
2. Dawn - dab, let sit a while and wash
3. Oxiclean, soak 6+ hours and wash

"We" used Goop, let it set for 20 minutes, scrubbed and wrung it, then
finished off with liquid Ivory.

Three things I appreciate being warned about:
1) Watching for the stain ring. Thanks. It would have never occured to me
about that but forewarned, was forearmed.
2) Reminded to use Goop. I have a gallon contain of the stuff and never
remember that it's good for all petrolium product removal. But being out in
the garage, it's often "out of sight & mind."
3) Using my shop-vac to withdraw the stain forward through the fabric and
not pushing it deeper and behind it.

For the one that said to leave it be as a reminder to future incidents
lesson; can't do that. But the other poster that suggested her removing the
spot was correct. I don't mind doing basic laundry but when things like this
happen, it's best to allow the teenangster their opportunity to learn. It
was a multi-hour lesson on why you don't wear whites while working with
greasy dirt, and then another lesson on "hiding" the item in the hamper once
you notice the scuff.

Spot is gone, there's not any Goop aftersmell, and she was able to remove
all the Ivory after a couple hours.

I even appreciated the suggestion about using petrolium products that create
fumes around electrical devices. I'd rather not be portrayed in a future WB
cartoon, thankyouverymuch.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The Ranger

The idea posted using naptha or paint thinner and a vacuum is
intriguing, certainly.

Dan

Dan Musicant
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

stain removal catladyoctober45 Home Repair 10 April 19th 06 06:42 AM
Stain Removal kgivnish Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 09:19 PM
stain removal catladyoctober45 Home Repair 0 April 18th 06 05:57 AM
Tea stain removal Marcus Foreman UK diy 7 January 25th 05 12:01 AM
Irn-Bru stain removal? Ian Clowes UK diy 6 September 29th 03 05:43 PM