DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hardipanel for Shed Siding? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/283766-hardipanel-shed-siding.html)

DerbyDad03 August 4th 09 08:27 PM

Hardipanel for Shed Siding?

I've got a line on some 5/16" X 4' X 8' Sierra Hardipanels, pre-
primed, for $22 each.

I'm planning on building a small lean-to style shed to house some
bikes, etc. over the winter as I need the garage for a winter project.
8' W x 6' D x 6' H at the front.

Can I use the Hardipanels right over the stud walls or do I need to
use sheathing under it?

Can I use the Hardipanels as roofing material - with felt-paper
covered sheathing underneath? There will be snow and the roof will
have a very shallow pitch, maybe 1:12. I was thinking kind of a board
& batten roof, with copious amounts of caulk under the battens.

Do you think I'd get a winter or so worth's of use out of this?

HeyBub[_3_] August 4th 09 11:51 PM

Hardipanel for Shed Siding?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've got a line on some 5/16" X 4' X 8' Sierra Hardipanels, pre-
primed, for $22 each.

I'm planning on building a small lean-to style shed to house some
bikes, etc. over the winter as I need the garage for a winter project.
8' W x 6' D x 6' H at the front.

Can I use the Hardipanels right over the stud walls or do I need to
use sheathing under it?

Can I use the Hardipanels as roofing material - with felt-paper
covered sheathing underneath? There will be snow and the roof will
have a very shallow pitch, maybe 1:12. I was thinking kind of a board
& batten roof, with copious amounts of caulk under the battens.

Do you think I'd get a winter or so worth's of use out of this?

HardiPlank is fundamentally concrete. It will last longer than the dirt. If
the Pyramids had been made of HardiPlank, they wouldn't look so disheveled
up close (except where the grave-robbers broke in of course).

To answer you questions, I would think "Yes." Now it's about as heavy as
concrete, so, for a roof, use lots of bracing.

C & E August 5th 09 02:12 AM

Hardipanel for Shed Siding?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I would back it - it is brittle if struck by a rock (eg, from the mower or
if someone stumbles into it between joists). I think that some stubs
between the joists would be OK as well. Keep us posted on what you chose to
do, even if nothing.

SteveBell[_2_] August 5th 09 04:10 AM

Hardipanel for Shed Siding?

DerbyDad03 | 2009-08-04 | 2:27:55 PM wrote:

I've got a line on some 5/16" X 4' X 8' Sierra Hardipanels, pre-
primed, for $22 each.

I'm planning on building a small lean-to style shed to house some
bikes, etc. over the winter as I need the garage for a winter project.
8' W x 6' D x 6' H at the front.

Can I use the Hardipanels right over the stud walls or do I need to
use sheathing under it?

Can I use the Hardipanels as roofing material - with felt-paper
covered sheathing underneath? There will be snow and the roof will
have a very shallow pitch, maybe 1:12. I was thinking kind of a board
& batten roof, with copious amounts of caulk under the battens.

Do you think I'd get a winter or so worth's of use out of this?

Go here for the instructions:
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...panelSiding.py

I've put up a ton of Hardie products, and they're great. They're
concrete, though, and concrete isn't waterproof, so be sure to paint
it. It's also fragile, as C&E pointed out.

They used to make a roofing product, but it's off the market now, as
far as I know. I wouldn't use the siding products on a roof.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement