Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to kill those "Klunkers"

Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:00*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes..

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

It may have caught some by surprise, but it has "stimulated" others
into action:

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ClunkerBomb/
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used
is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it
freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000
gallons!

From the Wall Street
Journal:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

It may have caught some by surprise, but it has "stimulated" others
into action:

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ClunkerBomb/

Heh! Find a need and fill it, I always say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 11:15*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used
is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it
freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000
gallons!

From the Wall Street
Journal:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

It may have caught some by surprise, but it has "stimulated" others
into action:

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ClunkerBomb/

Heh! Find a need and fill it, I always say.- Hide quoted text -

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a
car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run,
it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they
seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands
together and laughing maniacally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers" program be permanently disabled and specifies that the
method used is to replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the
engine until it freezes.
This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already
sold 15,000 gallons!
From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers" program be permanently disabled and specifies that the
method used is to replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the
engine until it freezes.
This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already
sold 15,000 gallons!
From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

Jon

This also feeds the greed of today's citizen. They forget that it is
there own tax money that's being spent. We will all pay for it later.
How many of the buyers actually can afford the new cars they are buying?
Remember all the homes that they bought and couldn't keep. Will they
be working next week or next month. I doubt it. Party on!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers" program be permanently disabled and specifies that the
method used is to replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the
engine until it freezes.
This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already
sold 15,000 gallons!
From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

A letter in our local paper suggests that even-older gas-guzzlers should
be able to be traded in -- with some kind of bonus -- on these
not-quite-so-horrible "Clunkers."

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 17:11:48 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2009-08-04, Jon Danniken wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

if (("Reduce, re-use, recycle") != ("Destroy a perfectly useable vehicle"))
{
call ("crinkle_nose");
return ("I don't get it.");
}

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-04, Jon Danniken wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

if (("Reduce, re-use, recycle") != ("Destroy a perfectly useable vehicle"))
{
call ("crinkle_nose");
return ("I don't get it.");
}

LOL

You might think it's funny but when I think of where these funds are
coming from it makes me sick. I'm sure our president will spin this
waste of money into an economic stimulus.

Gordon Shumway

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 11:44*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED, there is nothing the government can
do to prevent less scrupulous dealers and other shady profiteers from
double-dipping by collecting the CARS rebate, then turning around and
selling the trade-in clunker for Kelly Blue Book price. Heck from some
accounts, vehicles from the CARS program are showing up on auction
lots, running and driving under their own power already. Anything but
the total destruction of the tradeins leaves that loophole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-04, Jon Danniken wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

if (("Reduce, re-use, recycle") != ("Destroy a perfectly useable vehicle"))
{
call ("crinkle_nose");
return ("I don't get it.");
}

LOL

You might think it's funny but when I think of where these funds are
coming from it makes me sick. I'm sure our president will spin this
waste of money into an economic stimulus.

Gordon Shumway

I laughed at the "code". I agree about waste of money, etc.

This worries me, even more.

Video: 0 - 4:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-FEWlj4BQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 2:03*pm, wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:44*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

[...]

Cite please.

"Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED..."

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

But really, please provide a cite for the "some accounts" you
mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:25:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

Dunno.

"Federal inspectors will review dealer records and vehicles for
violators of the rules, who would face a $15,000 fine per infraction."

http://politisite.wordpress.com/2009...prevent-fraud/

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a
car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run,
it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they
seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands
together and laughing maniacally.

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette with 2
4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 2:25*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Heck from some accounts, vehicles from the CARS program are
showing up on auction lots, running and driving under their own power
already"

Cite please.

Cite what? I read it on a forum site in a thread with more ignorant
whining about the whole CARS program. It was one of those "I heard it
from a guy who heard it from a guy" situations.

I dunno if the claim is legitimate. That's why I said, "by some
accounts." You can't deny that it is plausible. I have no doubts that
it is actually happening somewhere. Remember you can tell that a car
dealer is lying, because his lips are moving. What's stopping them
from trying to double-dip?

"Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED..."

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

At this stage of the game, I have no doubts that some dealers are
TRYING to get around the requirement. Whether they manage to get away
with it will remain to be seen. All we can do is watch the news for
the headlines, "Auto Dealer Fined for Double-Dipping on CARS Program."
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED..."

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

But really, please provide a cite for the "some accounts" you
mentioned.

No cite, but it's obvious you only need the VIN and motor from an identical,
totaled, vehicle and you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 3:21*pm, wrote:
[...]

So you are using a rumor that you read in a thread similar to this one
to bolster your argument that dealers are double-dipping?

If I made a claim and followed it up with "I heard it from a guy who
heard it from a guy", would you put a lot of faith in what I said? I
doubt it...yet you are willing to use something you read in a forum,
something you admit you can't verify, as part of your argument that
they have to change the requirements of the program.

"You can't deny that it is plausible."

I won't argue that your claim of double-dipping is plausible, but when
you toss in rumors and unsubstantiated information, your argument
loses credibility.

"Remember you can tell that a car dealer is lying, because his
lips are moving"

Old jokes and derogatory generalizations don't help either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 3:22*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED..."

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

But really, please provide a cite for the "some accounts" you
mentioned.

No cite, but it's obvious you only need the VIN and motor from an identical,
totaled, vehicle and you're good to go.

True, but that really has nothing to do with the double-dipping
argument, in the strictest of terms. You could always take parts from
one car and put them in another.

The engine from the totaled vehicle was always available for use in a
car with a decent chassis. It wasn't traded in under the program and
therefore is still available for use. The program doesn't require all
existing engines to be destroyed and it doesn't state that you have to
destroy the entire "clunker". In fact, the program, as I understand
it, allows recycling yeards 180 days to remove usable parts after the
clucnker's engine is rendered inoperable.

I won't claim to have read the entire 163 page document detailing the
program, but if the rest of the clunker vehicle was usable, and the
engine from the totaled vehicle did not come from an official clunker,
then the combination of these 2 objects sounds perfectly legal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a
car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run,
it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they
seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands
together and laughing maniacally.

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette with 2
4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.

OK, now it's your turn to cite someone who actually traded in such a
car for a $4500 rebate on a new, uh, um, Honda Civic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a
car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run,
it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they
seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands
together and laughing maniacally.

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette with 2
4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.

OK, now it's your turn to cite someone who actually traded in such a
car for a $4500 rebate on a new, uh, um, Honda Civic?

not quite in the same league, but at least one person traded in an '88
535is...

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...rs-crushed/?hp

poor car deserved a better end.

nate

(still misses my '88 535i non-s)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to
a car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers
run, it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up
until they seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing
his hands together and laughing maniacally.

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette
with 2 4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.

OK, now it's your turn to cite someone who actually traded in such a
car for a $4500 rebate on a new, uh, um, Honda Civic?

Eventually, probably after several court cases and FISA requests, the
administration will release the makes and models of vehicles traded in to
bolster the auto industry, and we'll be able to tell with precision.

As of right now, the effects, in general and in specific, are being kept
under wraps by the government.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 4, 1:53*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 07:00:22 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

They aren't doing anything that fancy here. The paper has an article
showing the whole car going into a chipper. All they are doing is
draining the fluids. They showed a Mercedes SEL going in and coming
out as kibble and bits. I am really surprised that they didn't take
off the body parts that were OK. All the clunker law requires is that
they destroy the engine and the VIN plate, everything else can be
salvagedhttp://gfretwell.com/ftp/HR3246%20clunker%20bill.doc

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...914367,00.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

They aren't doing anything that fancy here. The paper has an article
showing the whole car going into a chipper. All they are doing is
draining the fluids. They showed a Mercedes SEL going in and coming
out as kibble and bits. I am really surprised that they didn't take
off the body parts that were OK. All the clunker law requires is that
they destroy the engine and the VIN plate, everything else can be
salvagedhttp://gfretwell.com/ftp/HR3246%20clunker%20bill.doc

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...914367,00.html

Was there something specific in that article that you wanted to point
out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette with 2
4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.

OK, now it's your turn to cite someone who actually traded in such a
car for a $4500 rebate on a new, uh, um, Honda Civic?

If I was the dealer, I would TELL the person they got the rebate,
pay it out of my own pocket and probably still come out ahead when I
sold it. (g0

--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person,
but having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who
survived the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a
total waste of otherwise useful resources.

Agreed. This is the biggest waste of money and equipment the gubmint has
come up with yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a
person, but having learned the ways of thrift and economy from
grandparents who survived the great depression of 1929, I can't help
but see this as a total waste of otherwise useful resources.

Agreed. This is the biggest waste of money and equipment the gubmint
has come up with yet.

It's redistribution.

If the program ends up being $3 billion, that's roughly $10 from each
citizen. If all the participants get the $4500 discount/credit, that's
666,000 people that will directly benefit. Or 99.8% of the population will
pay to benefit 0.02%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Here's a list of eligible Corvettes:

1990 Chevrolet Corvette5.7L 8cyl 4A RWDPassenger Car
1991 Chevrolet Corvette5.7L 8cyl 4A RWDPassenger Car
1992 Chevrolet Corvette5.7L 8cyl 4A RWDPassenger Car
1993 Chevrolet Corvette5.7L 8cyl 4A RWDPassenger Car
1994 Chevrolet Corvette5.7L 8cyl 4A RWDPassenger Car

http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clun...-vehicles.html

Which you could trade in for one of these:
2009 HUMMER H3T 3.7L 5cyl 5M 4WD Category 2 Truck

http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clun...didates.html#h

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/05/09 11:06 am, HeyBub wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a
person, but having learned the ways of thrift and economy from
grandparents who survived the great depression of 1929, I can't help
but see this as a total waste of otherwise useful resources.

Agreed. This is the biggest waste of money and equipment the gubmint
has come up with yet.

It's redistribution.

If the program ends up being $3 billion, that's roughly $10 from each
citizen. If all the participants get the $4500 discount/credit, that's
666,000 people that will directly benefit. Or 99.8% of the population will
pay to benefit 0.02%.

You are not counting the benefit to the automobile industry and its
employees who will continue to have jobs.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 08/05/09 11:06 am, HeyBub wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a
person, but having learned the ways of thrift and economy from
grandparents who survived the great depression of 1929, I can't
help but see this as a total waste of otherwise useful resources.

Agreed. This is the biggest waste of money and equipment the gubmint
has come up with yet.

It's redistribution.

If the program ends up being $3 billion, that's roughly $10 from each
citizen. If all the participants get the $4500 discount/credit,
that's 666,000 people that will directly benefit. Or 99.8% of the
population will pay to benefit 0.02%.

You are not counting the benefit to the automobile industry and its
employees who will continue to have jobs.

And that's a good thing exactly how?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unbelievable. Killing perfectly usable vehicles. What a
waste.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash
for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the
method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine
until it freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise.
One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold
15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I know people who say this is short sighted because people with
families and little money want those big cars to move the gang around.
The last 2 democratic presidents really look like big business
republicans.

Hey, don't be so critical. Our politicians are the best that big businesses
can buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:37:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 4, 11:15*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used
is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it
freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000
gallons!

From the Wall Street
Journal:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

It may have caught some by surprise, but it has "stimulated" others
into action:

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ClunkerBomb/

Heh! Find a need and fill it, I always say.- Hide quoted text -

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a
car could be fun.

After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run,
it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they
seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands
together and laughing maniacally.

It's a violoation of the mechanic's code to do this.

It's like physician-assisted suicide. If I were a doctor, I'd never
assist a suicide. And what do they need a doctor for anyone. It's
one procedure. Anyone can learn it.

So too can anyone learn to pour that stuff in the engine. I woudn't do
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message

I know people who say this is short sighted because people with
families and little money want those big cars to move the gang around.
The last 2 democratic presidents really look like big business
republicans.

Hey, don't be so critical. Our politicians are the best that big businesses
can buy.

Or unions or trial lawyers, or..
My contention is that the only difference between Dems and GOP is
who owns them lock, stock, and barrel.

--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Jimmy Buffett
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

It's a violoation of the mechanic's code to do this.

It's like physician-assisted suicide. If I were a doctor, I'd never
assist a suicide. And what do they need a doctor for anyone. It's
one procedure. Anyone can learn it.

So too can anyone learn to pour that stuff in the engine. I woudn't do
it.

Oh no it's not! Believe me, after 30+ years of being an ASE certified
mechanic, i will welcome the opportunity to destroy any engine. I
prefer the slow and painful death of just running them at wide open
throttle no load with no coolant myself. They make PLENTY of smoke and
noise that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:15*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:00 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for
Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used
is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it
freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One
company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000
gallons!

From the Wall Street
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

"I woudn't do it. "

Even if your job was at stake?

Let's say you're a mechanic at a dealer. A clunker gets traded in, the
client gets his gubmint bail-out money and the car ends up in your bay
with a note from the service manager that says "Kill it".

Are you going to say "I won't do it" because of some "mechanic's code"
and risk losing your job?

BTW Where can I find a copy of this "mechanic's code" that you speak
of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Or unions or trial lawyers, or..
My contention is that the only difference between Dems and GOP is
who owns them lock, stock, and barrel.

Well, yeah. So you've got to choose: Unions, Teachers, Lawyers, and
Environmentalists on the one hand, verses Businesses, God, and Guns on the
other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sodium Silicate.

The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers"
program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to
replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes.

This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that
sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

What ever happened to the "reuse" concept to be green and save the
planet?