Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck stain improvement experiment

Episode 4: Results at 10 months later

Nope, my experiment of adding 1/4 cup boiled linseed oil and 1/4 cup
mineral spirits to a gallon of Behr semi-transparent oil-based stain
did not work as well as I'd hoped. Most of the deck looks okay, but
numerous spots are peeling. The fact that it's spotty suggests that
the problem may be poor adhesion. The peeling film brushes off easily.
But I suspect there will be more peeling with time.

I'll do some scrubbing and maybe touch up some spots with the plain
stain just to keep the redwood color uniform, but do nothing else this
year. I'll see how it looks next year and decide whether it will need
sanding before the next regular stain application. And I'll try
Cabot's next.