Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default Storing an Auto Battery?

I've ended up with an extra car battery. Took it to a local
auto parts store, to see if it was worth anything. The
clerk tested it and said it was "almost as good as new." He
said it showed 12.5 volts after a load dropped it to 11.5
and then it came back. He said it was in good shape. So,
maybe I should keep it. It is 5 years old, with a warranty
for 6 years. I told the clerk I'd just keep it in the
garage as a spare, and he said that was a good idea, but not
to let it sit on concrete. He said if it was stored on
concrete it would "drain away" to nothing within a couple of
weeks. I asked "What about placing it on wood?" He said he
didn't know about that, but for sure not to store it on
concrete.

Do any of you have any evidence to support his idea that
storing a good auto battery on a concrete floor would damage
it? In general, what is the best way/place to store an
unused but good auto battery?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

CWLee wrote:
I've ended up with an extra car battery. Took it to a local
auto parts store, to see if it was worth anything. The
clerk tested it and said it was "almost as good as new." He
said it showed 12.5 volts after a load dropped it to 11.5
and then it came back. He said it was in good shape. So,
maybe I should keep it. It is 5 years old, with a warranty
for 6 years. I told the clerk I'd just keep it in the
garage as a spare, and he said that was a good idea, but not
to let it sit on concrete. He said if it was stored on
concrete it would "drain away" to nothing within a couple of
weeks. I asked "What about placing it on wood?" He said he
didn't know about that, but for sure not to store it on concrete.

Do any of you have any evidence to support his idea that storing a good auto battery on a concrete floor would damage
it?

Nope, its an urban myth
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
http://www.discover-energy.com/faqs/...ry_on_concrete
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...t=cln k&gl=au
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ba...store+concrete

In general, what is the best way/place to store an unused but good auto battery?

Its crucial to keep it reasonably charged, they dont like being stored flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

CWLee wrote:
[...]

Just be sure to keep it charged. If you don't. it will die.

The concrete thing is likely just an old wives tale.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

In article , CWLee wrote:

I've ended up with an extra car battery. Took it to a local
auto parts store, to see if it was worth anything. The
clerk tested it and said it was "almost as good as new." He
said it showed 12.5 volts after a load dropped it to 11.5
and then it came back. He said it was in good shape. So,
maybe I should keep it. It is 5 years old, with a warranty
for 6 years. I told the clerk I'd just keep it in the
garage as a spare, and he said that was a good idea, but not
to let it sit on concrete. He said if it was stored on
concrete it would "drain away" to nothing within a couple of
weeks. I asked "What about placing it on wood?" He said he
didn't know about that, but for sure not to store it on
concrete.

The concrete stuff is a persistent urban myth. I have yet to
hear a chemical or electrochemical explanation for the claimed
effect of concrete. I know someone who worked at a place
manufacturing automotive batteries, and he says that's a myth.

The thing is to keep it charged. It will self-discharge, and need
its charge topped off something like monthly.

People who have batteries die from sitting on concrete have them
die because they sit long enough to get badly discharged, and then
a bad sulfation process occurs. On concrete is merely where automotive
batteries mostly meet such a fate.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Jul 30, 4:11*pm, "CWLee" wrote:
[...]

www.batteryuniversity.com has good info, so do other sites you should
google. Wash it real clean thats partialy how it discharges, and as I
understand it must be maintianed 100%, a battery maintainer is what
you need. Ive ruined many batteries by not using a maintainer from
sulfation, it happens real fast. 12.5v isnt charged, its sulfating
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:11:31 -0700, "CWLee"
wrote:

[...]

In the old days, batteries had hard rubber cases and setting them on
concrete could result in a ruined battery. Modern Batteries are not
made of rubber any longer, so it really doesn't matter. I usually put
mine on a piece of wood just out of habit, I guess. The more important
issue is to make sure you keep it charged and the water at the proper
level.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

CWLee wrote:
[...]

You need a float charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

I've ended up with an extra car battery. Took it to a local
auto parts store, to see if it was worth anything. The
clerk tested it and said it was "almost as good as new." He
said it showed 12.5 volts after a load dropped it to 11.5
and then it came back. He said it was in good shape. So,
maybe I should keep it. It is 5 years old, with a warranty
for 6 years. I told the clerk I'd just keep it in the
garage as a spare, and he said that was a good idea, but not
to let it sit on concrete. He said if it was stored on
concrete it would "drain away" to nothing within a couple of
weeks. I asked "What about placing it on wood?" He said he
didn't know about that, but for sure not to store it on
concrete.

Are you sure that the correct interpretation isn't:
Don't store the battery on concrete; if it leaks the battery
acid will DESTROY OR STAIN THE CONCRETE?

Do any of you have any evidence to support his idea that
storing a good auto battery on a concrete floor would damage
it?

Some stores find it worthwhile to stock Concrete Rust Remover
and advertise it for removing battery acid stains, so there's
reason to believe leaking batteries might damage the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:

[...]

Actually yes and no. A auto battery setting motionless and staying
at a constant temperature can stratify the chemicals within and
harm the battery. What better way to do this than set it on a
very still vibration less hunk of concrete that will also hold a
fairly constant temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

I'd suggest to store the battery where it will not get
freezing or hot temps. Cellar, is good. Cement? Dunno. Might
be an urban legend, but wood is cheap and why take the
chance.

I had a Horrid Fright float charger hooked to my marine
battery. Boiled the battery dry, and killed it. If you do
use a Horrid Fright charger, run it about an hour a day,
using a lamp timer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

You need a float charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I'd suggest to store the battery where it will not get
freezing or hot temps. Cellar, is good. Cement? Dunno. Might
be an urban legend, but wood is cheap and why take the
chance.

I had a Horrid Fright float charger hooked to my marine
battery. Boiled the battery dry, and killed it. If you do
use a Horrid Fright charger, run it about an hour a day,
using a lamp timer.

I bought one of those HF $3 digital multimeters,checked it and it read a
fresh 1.5 volt alkaline battery at nearly 2 volts,took it back for
another,that read a more reasonable 1.6 volts.

I would check the calibration of any HF electrical product.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:

[...]

It'supposed to be an "old wive's tale" but I never store batteries on
concrete. I've had them go bad stored that way in the past (ok - they
were rubber case tar-toppers, so it's a while ago) - but I always have
either a board or a plastic rack to store them on - can't hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

In article ,
"CWLee" wrote:

In general, what is the best way/place to store an
unused but good auto battery?

If you don't foresee an actual need for it within a year, I'd say the
best way to store it would be to convert it to cash, then put the money
in an envelope in your glove compartment. Label the envelope "battery
money" and use it when you're actually in need of a battery.

The effort you'll go to to store the thing indefinitely with no purpose
in mind, exceeds the value of doing so.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Jul 30, 8:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
CWLee wrote:
[...]

The concrete thing is likely just an old wives tale.- Hide quoted text -

The only explanation have ever seen is that back in the old days (the
1920s etc.) the battery cases then used were more porous than modern
plastic ones and in some instances and in damp conditions dampness
could cause lime products in the concrete to leach into the battery
acid! So the myth about not storing on concrete has continued into
modern times!
If the battery is not fully charged when put away and/or not given a
refresher or put on trickle charge every few months it is likely to be
useless a year from now. Sticking it on a refresh charge every few
months for a few hours at a low charge rate will be best chance for
conserving it.
Measuring the voltage alone is not a very good indication of state of
charge or overall condition of a lead acid battery. But the on 'load
test' performed by the auto parts store should have been a good test.
DO NOT NOW LEAVE BATTERY discharged.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"CWLee" wrote:

In general, what is the best way/place to store an
unused but good auto battery?

If you don't foresee an actual need for it within a year, I'd say the
best way to store it would be to convert it to cash, then put the money
in an envelope in your glove compartment. Label the envelope "battery
money" and use it when you're actually in need of a battery.

The effort you'll go to to store the thing indefinitely with no purpose
in mind, exceeds the value of doing so.

I agree...Storing a 5 year old battery unless yours is on it's last legs
doesn't sound like a good idea..Selling it probably won't get you ****
either being 5 years old ....Give it to somebody who can use it...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

stan wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:01 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
CWLee wrote:
[...]

Pure fantasy from someone who doesnt have a clue about the most basic chemistry/physics.

So the myth about not storing on concrete has continued into modern times!

If the battery is not fully charged when put away and/or not given a
refresher or put on trickle charge every few months it is likely to be
useless a year from now. Sticking it on a refresh charge every few
months for a few hours at a low charge rate will be best chance for
conserving it.

Measuring the voltage alone is not a very good indication of state of
charge or overall condition of a lead acid battery. But the on 'load
test' performed by the auto parts store should have been a good test.
DO NOT NOW LEAVE BATTERY discharged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:19:12 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The concrete "myth" persists because the battery might still damage
the concrete if there is any residual acid on it or you boil some out
overcharging it.
The piece of wood is just for peace of mind.

On the other hand, placing the battery directly on a slab might keep
it cooler, and slow down the chemical reaction. That would help
prolong the life of the battery. I keep my boat batteries in the boat
all winter in New England for just that reason. I give them a charge
about once a month. As long as a battery is kept charged, it will not
freeze. It is better for the batteries than bringing them inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

stan wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:01 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
CWLee wrote:
[...]

Hardly a pure fantasy. Old battery cases were made of hard rubber
containing carbon. They wrere, in fact, somewhat porous, and storing
them on concrete DID ruin the battery.

This problem existed a lot more recently than the 1920's, but modern
batteries are not cased in rubber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A charged battery has a lower freezing temperature, but it
certainly can freeze. Given a choice, I'd prefer to store a
boat battery in the warm cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

On the other hand, placing the battery directly on a slab
might keep
it cooler, and slow down the chemical reaction. That would
help
prolong the life of the battery. I keep my boat batteries in
the boat
all winter in New England for just that reason. I give them
a charge
about once a month. As long as a battery is kept charged, it
will not
freeze. It is better for the batteries than bringing them
inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

In article ,
wrote:
...skipped...
In the old days, batteries had hard rubber cases and setting them on
concrete could result in a ruined battery. Modern Batteries are not
made of rubber any longer, so it really doesn't matter. I usually put
mine on a piece of wood just out of habit, I guess. The more important
issue is to make sure you keep it charged and the water at the proper
level.

In the _really_ old days some battery cases were even made of wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
stan wrote
Bob F wrote
CWLee wrote

[...]

Hardly a pure fantasy.

Corse it is.

Old battery cases were made of hard rubber containing carbon.
They wrere, in fact, somewhat porous, and storing them on
concrete DID ruin the battery.

Not by the mechanism he spelt out it didnt.

This problem existed a lot more recently than the 1920's,
but modern batteries are not cased in rubber.

Separate matter entirely to the MECHANISM for that happening.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Jul 31, 2:14*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
wrote

Rod Speed wrote
stan wrote
Bob F wrote
CWLee wrote
[...]

Separate matter entirely to the MECHANISM for that happening.- Hide quoted text -

Find someone that can use it. They don't last and you will forget to
keep it charged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:23:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A charged battery has a lower freezing temperature, but it
certainly can freeze. Given a choice, I'd prefer to store a
boat battery in the warm cellar.

I doubt it ever gets cold enough anywhere in the continental United
States to freeze a fully charged car battery. If you disagree, please
provide cites.

As I pointed out, storing a battery in a warm place will shorten it's
lifespan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 04:14:48 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
stan wrote
Bob F wrote
CWLee wrote

[...]

How many times were you dropped on your head as a child, Rod?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Jul 31, 10:37*am, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,*sa. wrote:

...skipped...

In the old days, batteries had hard rubber cases and setting them on
concrete could result in a ruined battery. Modern Batteries are not
made of rubber any longer, so it really doesn't matter. I usually put
mine on a piece of wood just out of habit, I guess. The more important
issue is to make sure you keep it charged and the water at the proper
level.

In the _really_ old days some battery cases were even made of wood.

--
* * *Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Wood yes: Gosh had forgotten that!
And then worked for years with telephone office batteries made of
glass.
Then later clear plastic; so that one could see plate growth/residue
etc.
Thanks for the memory!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Statement: A charged battery won't freeze.
Correction: Yes, but at a lower temp.

If you're curious, you can research it. I'm not curious
about that particular point.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:23:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A charged battery has a lower freezing temperature, but it
certainly can freeze. Given a choice, I'd prefer to store a
boat battery in the warm cellar.

I doubt it ever gets cold enough anywhere in the continental
United
States to freeze a fully charged car battery. If you
disagree, please
provide cites.

As I pointed out, storing a battery in a warm place will
shorten it's
lifespan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
stan wrote
Bob F wrote
CWLee wrote

[...]

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:38:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Statement: A charged battery won't freeze.
Correction: Yes, but at a lower temp.

If you're curious, you can research it. I'm not curious
about that particular point.

Lack of curiosity is a sign of low intelligence.

Meanwhile, a fully charged battery won't freeze anywhere in the
continental US. - Of course if you store it on the polar caps of Mars
it will likely freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Statement: A charged battery won't freeze.
Correction: Yes, but at a lower temp.

If you're curious, you can research it. I'm not curious
about that particular point.

Lack of curiosity is a sign of low intelligence.

Meanwhile, a fully charged battery won't freeze anywhere in the
continental US. - Of course if you store it on the polar caps of Mars
it will likely freeze.

Two points.

Relative living in Middle East for a few years found the high
temperatures really deteriorated his auto batteries! Often with simmer
temps close to 50 deg. C ( 130 F) one of his lasted only about 15
months!

When a bttery is discharged, or partially so, it a can freeze more
easily. My neighbour, who works with a to-site rental equipment
company has just moved back from western Canada (Alberta etc.) and
says that he has seen the occasional frozen battery. What usually
would happen is that equipemt would break down, typically, say, the
elctricity generator at a construction site. The operator/renter would
run down the battery trying to restart the equipment. It would be
later, or next day before my neighbour could get somebody out from the
city to effect a repair and the flattened battery might then have
frozen, during very cold weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stan" wrote in message
[...]

From one of the battery companies I found this:

Can a battery freeze?
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a
state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery
decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing
temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a
fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will
freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Low functioning people tend to draw incorrect conclusions.
"I'm not curious about that particular point" does not speak
to the rest of my life. A real logical failure, on your
part. "Stormy hates green pickles, therefore he doesn't eat
any food at all" would be an example of your logical
technique.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:38:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

If you're curious, you can research it. I'm not curious
about that particular point.

Lack of curiosity is a sign of low intelligence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. Nothing like real world
experience.

I loved your double meaning "simmer temperatures". That's
good!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stan" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure, a fully charged battery can freeze. If it's taken
below -92F.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

From one of the battery companies I found this:

Can a battery freeze?
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it
is left in a
state of partial or complete discharged. As the state of
charge in a battery
decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the
freezing
temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the
electrolyte in a
fully charged battery is -92.0oF. At a 40% state of charge,
electrolyte will
freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0oF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Low functioning people tend to draw incorrect conclusions.
"I'm not curious about that particular point" does not speak
to the rest of my life. A real logical failure, on your
part. "Stormy hates green pickles, therefore he doesn't eat
any food at all" would be an example of your logical
technique.

Right. Sherlock Holmes opined that the mind is like a closet. If you fill it
with irrelevant stuff, there's either no room for the new or you've got to
discard something previously retained.

I, for example, have no memory of anything before the fifth grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:12:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Low functioning people tend to draw incorrect conclusions.
"I'm not curious about that particular point" does not speak
to the rest of my life. A real logical failure, on your
part. "Stormy hates green pickles, therefore he doesn't eat
any food at all" would be an example of your logical
technique.

Stormy believes in god, therefore he is unable to think logically.

His own ability to think is so weak, that he must have his thoughts
given to him by a religion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:15:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thanks for the field report. Nothing like real world
experience.

Of course, everything he said validates and reinforces what I said,
dimwit.

He points out that discharged batteries may freeze. That's essentially
what I said. I said that fully charged batteries don't freeze. At
least not anywhere in the continental United States. His examples of
batteries freezing were batteries that were run down. Hence my advoce
that you keep batteries in a cold place, and KEEP THEM CHARGED TO
PROTECT AGAINST FREEZING.

I also said that colder temps prolong the life of battereis by slowing
the chemical reaction. He says that his relatives in the middle east
found this to be true as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:16:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sure, a fully charged battery can freeze. If it's taken
below -92F.

Nobody, including me every said that a battery could not freeze if
exposed to a low enough temperature. What I said was a battery would
not freeze from normal winter temperatures as long asyou kept it
charged up.

So, when was the last time it got down top -92F where you live?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:05:13 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Low functioning people tend to draw incorrect conclusions.
"I'm not curious about that particular point" does not speak
to the rest of my life. A real logical failure, on your
part. "Stormy hates green pickles, therefore he doesn't eat
any food at all" would be an example of your logical
technique.

Right. Sherlock Holmes opined that the mind is like a closet. If you fill it
with irrelevant stuff, there's either no room for the new or you've got to
discard something previously retained.

I, for example, have no memory of anything before the fifth grade.

Sherlock Holmes was a dope addict. You only use something like 15% of
your brain mass. There's plenty of room to store more, if you
excercise you mind enough to make use of more of the available room.