DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/283408-non-plumbing-pvc-projects-what-have-you-used.html)

SMS July 30th 09 07:59 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

"http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

Oren[_2_] July 30th 09 08:10 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:59:11 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

WAG - holds the pool filter(s) for easier cleaning??

JC[_4_] July 30th 09 08:17 PM

"SMS" wrote in message
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have
to do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make
the task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what
it's for (the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I
can roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto
the car.

"http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks
for shoes.

I'm an old has-been hillbilly musician. I do a little tutoring young
people on country vocals and guitar. I have quite a bit of fairly high
end recording equipment but no vocal booth. So I took some 1 1/2 inch
pipe and cut it into 80 inch sections (4), and some 36 inch sections
(8). I purchased some 4 way couplings and made a 3X3 foot square.
(picture an old telephone booth). I just hang three of those very
heavy moving company quilts over the frame, put a singer in there with
a mic and bingo, a recording studio. Dang thing sounds as good as any
top notch studio. Cost me maybe 50 bucks and I take it down and put it
up as needed.

Lotta things one can do with pvc.

PatM July 30th 09 08:44 PM

On Jul 30, 2:59*pm, SMS wrote:
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

* * * "http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

* * * "http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

All potato cannons are made of PVC.

ShadowTek[_2_] July 30th 09 09:24 PM

On 2009-07-30, SMS wrote:

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I've made cheap curtain rods out of them.

I painted them with laquer, and they look pretty good.

Oren[_2_] July 30th 09 10:40 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:24:52 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2009-07-30, SMS wrote:

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I've made cheap curtain rods out of them.

I painted them with laquer, and they look pretty good.

If you want to draw an arch on wood, wall, etc. Use a small diameter
PVC that will flex and not break. Helper draws the initial line.

Jon Danniken[_2_] July 30th 09 10:44 PM

PatM wrote:

All potato cannons are made of PVC.

Negatory. I made mine from ABS (back when it was all solid ABS and none of
this cellular crap they foist on us now).

Jon

JIMMIE July 30th 09 11:03 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

On Jul 30, 5:44*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
PatM wrote:

All potato cannons are made of PVC.

Negatory. *I made mine from ABS (back when it was all solid ABS and none of
this cellular crap they foist on us now).

Jon

There are a lot of interesting fittings not normally found in you home
supply places available for making PVC furniture and greenhouses such
as 4,5 and 6way connectors and plugs for adding casters..

Im a radio amateur and have used it for various antenna supports and
insulators.

Jimmie

Mark Lloyd July 31st 09 12:03 AM

wrote:

Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

"http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I use PVC pipe (3/4-inch ID) to make poles for my holiday lights. I'll
start with a 5-foot piece, drill a hole near each end (to tie lights
to), and cut it in half with a hacksaw (angled cut).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Nate Nagel July 31st 09 01:04 AM

On 2009-07-30, SMS wrote:
What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I've made cheap curtain rods out of them.

I painted them with laquer, and they look pretty good.

I've done that with copper water pipe, when a curtain rod was not
available in the length that I needed (over seven feet.) IKEA brackets
and finials are almost exactly the right size.

Now for PVC, I'm ashamed to admit, I've cobbled together an air intake
to bypass the supercharger on an old VW with a blowed up G-lader...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Art Todesco July 31st 09 02:48 AM

SMS wrote:
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

"http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I used 2 sized that fit into one
another. With a little moto-tool
machining,
it made a great piston to make Halloween
stuff pop up, using compressed
air.

jeff_wisnia[_2_] July 31st 09 03:27 AM

SMS wrote:
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

"http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

"http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

I used a four foot piece of PVC pipe to extend the length of the handle
of my pole pruner so I can reach reach higher without being tempted to
drag a stepladder out and likely topple off it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[email protected] July 31st 09 01:38 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

I have made a frame to hold my photographic backdrops.

Thomas July 31st 09 01:42 PM

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?

Fat tube with scew caps on my camper bumper. It holds my outdoor
carpet and all of the set-up poles.

rlz July 31st 09 02:50 PM

On Jul 31, 6:42*am, Thomas wrote:
Fat tube with scew caps on my camper bumper. It holds my outdoor
carpet and all of the set-up poles.

I used PVC as part of a mobile stand for holding plywood in my shop. I
built a wooded base and then used sections of 1.5" PVC to form
triangles on two sides of the base and then a piece at the top to join
them together. This has allowed me to lean the plywood and drywall
against the triangles.

robin

JC[_4_] July 31st 09 02:54 PM

"rlz" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 6:42 am, Thomas wrote:
Fat tube with scew caps on my camper bumper. It holds my outdoor
carpet and all of the set-up poles.

I used PVC as part of a mobile stand for holding plywood in my shop. I
built a wooded base and then used sections of 1.5" PVC to form
triangles on two sides of the base and then a piece at the top to join
them together. This has allowed me to lean the plywood and drywall
against the triangles.

robin

Now that's a good idea.

DerbyDad03 July 31st 09 03:21 PM

On Jul 30, 2:59*pm, SMS wrote:
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to
do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the
task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess what it's for
(the top + piece isn't glued down and is removable).

* * * "http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg"

I also built a nice PVC cart to store my kayaks, with wheels so I can
roll the cart out to the driveway when I load the kayaks onto the car.

* * * "http://i31.tinypic.com/dm4mki.jpg"

What other non-plumbing uses have people found for PVC, beyond racks for
shoes.

1 - I attached 2' sections of 2" PVC to a piece of plywood and hung it
from the side of a garden cart to carry rakes, shovels and brooms.

2 - I've made shipping containers for long thin objects (e.g. steel
stock) from PVC pipe.

3 - I rebuilt a garden bench and used PVC pipe to dip-stain the wood
strips. Dip, hang, done.

4 - I used a 4' section of PVC pipe as a breaker bar to loosen the
ball from my hitch receiver.

5 - I made cable tensioners with a 1" length of 2" PVC, an eyebolt and
a couple of nuts.

I'm sure there were other uses that don't come to mind right now.