Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Floor

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut it
flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was planning to
use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do neatly), but am wondering
if a multi-function oscillating tool might be better suited.
Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low cast tool available right
now. Would this be up to the job?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 11:49*am, "GTS" wrote:
I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. *I want to cut it
flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. *I was planning to
use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do neatly), but am wondering
if a multi-function oscillating tool might be better suited.
*Money is a little tight right now. * HF has a low cast tool available right
now. *Would this be up to the job?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65700

Thanks!

You will probably need to pull the kick moulding up as well. That
thing is probably going to be sloooow. I would still use a sawzall.
Keep the damage to the wallboard low and it will be covered when you
put the moulding back on. Make sure you don't have anything you need
to avoid in the way of the sawzall. I would cut the center out with a
circular saw set just deep enough to get the ply. Then work on the
edges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-07-30, GTS wrote:

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited.

You can get an offset adapter for a sawzall that will allow you to do
a flush cut. The blade does get a little floppy from the extra
length, but with care it should work well. A common brand is "Paws
Off".

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

GTS wrote:
I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut it
flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was planning
to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do neatly), but am
wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might be better suited.
Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low cast tool available
right now. Would this be up to the job?

Thanks!

$20 more will get you the right tool for the job. (Well, the HF version
of the right tool, anyway.) .

3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw

It might be worth checking with the local rental center to see if they
have one rather than buying
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thank you. I have taken off the moulding and see your point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-07-30, GTS wrote:

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited.

You can get an offset adapter for a sawzall that will allow you to do
a flush cut. The blade does get a little floppy from the extra
length, but with care it should work well. A common brand is "Paws
Off".

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks! I've never seen one of those before. It looks very promising. I
see there's some other hand accessories in the 'paws off' line too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Paulsen" wrote in message
GTS wrote:
I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut it
flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was planning
to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do neatly), but am
wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might be better suited.
Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low cast tool available
right now. Would this be up to the job?

Thanks!

$20 more will get you the right tool for the job. (Well, the HF version of
the right tool, anyway.) .

3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw

It might be worth checking with the local rental center to see if they
have one rather than buying

Thanks, and thanks for the rental idea. I know just the place nearby to
check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Whitney wrote in
:

On 2009-07-30, GTS wrote:

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited.

You can get an offset adapter for a sawzall that will allow you to do
a flush cut. The blade does get a little floppy from the extra
length, but with care it should work well. A common brand is "Paws
Off".

Cheers, Wayne

Hadn't seen this one myself either. Good one!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"GTS" wrote in :

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited.
Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low cast tool available
right
now. Would this be up to the job?

Thanks!

I have one of those and I have used it 10 times in the 2 wks I've had it.
Gotta remeber it's a HF so quality is not job one. But I love the damn
thing. The principle and capabilities of these oscillating tools is
great.

The HF blades will dull quickly and I think what you want to do is way
too much for it.

Wayne's offset adapter looks a lot more promising.

As said, removing the baseboard, plan on it.

On occasion when using a tool near something I don't want to damage I
keep a piece of sheet metal for such things to put between the tool and
surface I want to preserve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote in
:

GTS wrote:
I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited. Money is a little tight right now. HF has a low
cast tool available right now. Would this be up to the job?

Thanks!

$20 more will get you the right tool for the job. (Well, the HF
version of the right tool, anyway.) .

And don't forget 20% more off the price 7/31-8/3

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...&single=t rue

-or-

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ke ycode=0000

3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw

It might be worth checking with the local rental center to see if they
have one rather than buying

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I have one of those and I have used it 10 times in the 2 wks I've had
it. Gotta remeber it's a HF so quality is not job one. But I love the
damn thing. The principle and capabilities of these oscillating tools
is great.

The HF blades will dull quickly and I think what you want to do is way
too much for it.

You can "resharpen" the blades by cutting grooves in the blank with a rotary
Dremel. The more grooves you cut, the better the resulting action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut
it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was
planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do
neatly), but am wondering if a multi-function oscillating tool might
be better suited.

How about using a biscuit joiner, "face" down but, I dont suppose that
would be a good idea if you have to cut thru nails etc

Cutting concrete floor? Davej Home Repair 9 February 13th 09 05:54 PM
Cutting Wood Floor Bernie Hunt Home Repair 10 November 28th 05 08:26 AM
Cutting laminate floor twfsa Home Repair 2 March 14th 05 04:02 PM
Cutting floor boards John Rumm UK diy 15 January 22nd 05 03:50 PM
Cutting into concrete floor Paul Williams UK diy 13 August 17th 04 11:37 AM