Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Parts Availability Question .. .. ..

On Jul 30, 11:01*am, SMS wrote:
__ Bøb __ wrote:
The other night, while on vacation in the Chicago area, I got a frantic
phone call from home that my basement was rapidly filling with water
(house is in SE Tennessee). * I got a nearby neighbor to run over to my
house and shut off the power to the well pump. * Next problem was
getting a horde of friends over there to sort & dry things out. * Lotsa
stuff from power tools, taps & dies, books & magazines, computer parts,
all the stuff you might store in a basement. * We headed home right
away, and when I got there, I found the whole thing was caused by a PVC
fitting going from the water main into my water softener snapped, and
the pump was running full-force for several hours.

Replaced the fitting (a 3/4" pipe thread to 3/4 PVC glued adapter), and
all is well again. * ALL of my house is done in copper EXCEPT the
incoming piping from the well to the pressure tank .. then to the water
softener .. then to the copper house main. * I am planning to do
everything but the incoming PVC line in copper, and I want to use
something flexible to make the vertical connections, to accommodate and
movement/stress in the lines, which is what I think caused the original
problem. * Something along the lines of a hydraulic hose with a swivel
on at least one end, BUT I'd like to find something that won't rust. *

Use this:

"http://www.plumbingsupply.com/spaflex.html"

I'd be careful with the flex PVC. It is not pressure rated anywhere
near rigid PVC and I also wonder if it meets code for domestic water
use. There are millions of homes with well pumps plumbed without
anything special to handle stress flexing and problems like the OP had
are rare.