Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigeration Question

We have a commercial 3 door refrigerator that will not stay running. It has
gone through many compressors, including a brand new one last time. The
accumulator/filter is plugged and there is black oil coming out of the
line. This does not seem right. I know there needs to be oil in the lines,
but I doubt it needs as much as was dripping out of the line and I question
whether it should be black. Are my assumptions correct so far? My thought
was to get the compressor replaced and find some solution to clean out the
lines from the oil and dirt in them. I don't think that a vacuum pump will
do the job of cleaning out all the oil and junk. Is there a solution
(liquid cleaner to wash out the lines) available and where would I get it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does the oil leak out all the time, or just when the unit is
running?

Does the oil smell like anything? For example, cherry pits,
licorice, or asphalt driveway sealer?

This will help us identify the problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message .. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
We have a commercial 3 door refrigerator that will not stay running. It has
gone through many compressors, including a brand new one last time. The
accumulator/filter is plugged and there is black oil coming out of the
line. This does not seem right. I know there needs to be oil in the lines,
but I doubt it needs as much as was dripping out of the line and I question
whether it should be black. Are my assumptions correct so far? My thought
was to get the compressor replaced and find some solution to clean out the
lines from the oil and dirt in them. I don't think that a vacuum pump will
do the job of cleaning out all the oil and junk. Is there a solution
(liquid cleaner to wash out the lines) available and where would I get it?

Have you had anyone who knows about commercial refrigeration
look at your refrigerator? There are several products used to
clean out a system after a burnout and acid neutralizing filters
should also be used on both the liquid and suction lines.
GEEZ! Get someone other than Leroy The Fridge Repair Man to
fix your box.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
We have a commercial 3 door refrigerator that will not stay running. It has
gone through many compressors, including a brand new one last time. The
accumulator/filter is plugged and there is black oil coming out of the
line. This does not seem right. I know there needs to be oil in the lines,
but I doubt it needs as much as was dripping out of the line and I question
whether it should be black. Are my assumptions correct so far? My thought
was to get the compressor replaced and find some solution to clean out the
lines from the oil and dirt in them. I don't think that a vacuum pump will
do the job of cleaning out all the oil and junk. Is there a solution
(liquid cleaner to wash out the lines) available and where would I get it?

Sorry, almost forgot, here's a link to a product I use

http://tinyurl.com/lk2uq3

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

GEEZ! Get someone other than Leroy The Fridge Repair Man to
fix your box.

TDD

Dammit, Dufas, don't you be badmouthin' my cuzin Leroy! He can dang well
fix any old truck or Fridge you bring him! (and fer an extra bottle of
'shine, his buck-toothed ol' hound-dog will take care of yer frigid
wife, too.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

GEEZ! Get someone other than Leroy The Fridge Repair Man to
fix your box.

TDD

Dammit, Dufas, don't you be badmouthin' my cuzin Leroy! He can dang well
fix any old truck or Fridge you bring him! (and fer an extra bottle of
'shine, his buck-toothed ol' hound-dog will take care of yer frigid
wife, too.)

Well, I was gonna say Bubba but.........

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Methinks I smelleth a trolle!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Methinks I smelleth a trolle!

thou smelleth thyself
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
We have a commercial 3 door refrigerator that will not stay running. It

has
gone through many compressors, including a brand new one last time. The
accumulator/filter is plugged and there is black oil coming out of the
line. This does not seem right. I know there needs to be oil in the lines,
but I doubt it needs as much as was dripping out of the line and I

question
whether it should be black. Are my assumptions correct so far? My thought
was to get the compressor replaced and find some solution to clean out the
lines from the oil and dirt in them. I don't think that a vacuum pump will
do the job of cleaning out all the oil and junk. Is there a solution
(liquid cleaner to wash out the lines) available and where would I get it?

I would replace the refrigeration guy.

The lines have to be as clean as possible.

I think that acetone and compressed air should do the trick as far as
cleaning is concerned. Prior to charging the system, they need to do a
complete leak check and then pump down to works to remove all water that
might be left in the system.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message
.. .
[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in
the tube, then
they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

What happens if a hermetically sealed compressor motor burns up?

From what I understand, this will cause contamination. If the lines are not
properly cleaned out wouldn't that cause subsequent problems like the OP
described?

Perhaps he is a troll perhaps not.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

I just pulled the orifice tube and receiver off
one of my vans and I poured a load of gook out
of the receiver and replaced the orifice tube.
The previous owner put a lot of stop leak in the
darned thing and it looked like green alien blood
coming out of it. To do a proper service, I'll
have to tear it down and blow cleaner through it
with dry nitrogen. I'll also have to drain the
compressor and wash it out. I absolutely love to
repair moron damage, it's my favorite thing.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

If a hermetic compressor shorts out (electrical windings)
and burns up, it can decompose the refrigerant to other
chemicals. As to dark oil, not likely. But in any case, the
chemicals are still within the sealed system. They used to
make acid absorbing filter driers, but those are also part
of the sealed system.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

What happens if a hermetically sealed compressor motor burns
up?

From what I understand, this will cause contamination. If
the lines are not
properly cleaned out wouldn't that cause subsequent problems
like the OP
described?

Perhaps he is a troll perhaps not.

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved
in the solvent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A typical store owner won't be opening the sealed system.
Does your van AC work, now?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

I just pulled the orifice tube and receiver off
one of my vans and I poured a load of gook out
of the receiver and replaced the orifice tube.
The previous owner put a lot of stop leak in the
darned thing and it looked like green alien blood
coming out of it. To do a proper service, I'll
have to tear it down and blow cleaner through it
with dry nitrogen. I'll also have to drain the
compressor and wash it out. I absolutely love to
repair moron damage, it's my favorite thing.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A typical store owner won't be opening the sealed system.
Does your van AC work, now?

Yep, when I tap the compressor clutch with a stick or
rev the engine. I haven't tracked down that problem
yet. It could be burned contacts on the clutch relay
causing low voltage to the clutch coil or simply a
sticking clutch. Of course, loose connections could
be the culprit. The darn thing's schizo.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, well. You'll get it by and by.

One customer of mine, fixing his walk in cooler. Anyhow,
the AC didn't work on his big pickup truck, and the garage
wanted several hundred dollars to fix it. I found two places
where the wires were unhooked at junctions. Connect them
back up, and the AC came back to life.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
A typical store owner won't be opening the sealed system.
Does your van AC work, now?

Yep, when I tap the compressor clutch with a stick or
rev the engine. I haven't tracked down that problem
yet. It could be burned contacts on the clutch relay
causing low voltage to the clutch coil or simply a
sticking clutch. Of course, loose connections could
be the culprit. The darn thing's schizo.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, well. You'll get it by and by.

One customer of mine, fixing his walk in cooler. Anyhow,
the AC didn't work on his big pickup truck, and the garage
wanted several hundred dollars to fix it. I found two places
where the wires were unhooked at junctions. Connect them
back up, and the AC came back to life.

I unplugged the clutch relay on a friend's SUV, banged
it against a metal bracket and plugged it back in. It's
been working ever since.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If a hermetic compressor shorts out (electrical windings)
and burns up, it can decompose the refrigerant to other
chemicals. As to dark oil, not likely. But in any case, the
chemicals are still within the sealed system. They used to
make acid absorbing filter driers, but those are also part
of the sealed system.

Christopher,

It appears from the original post that the system has been unsealed several
times, so the original integrity of the system is suspect IMO. If the
capacity of the acid absorbent in the dryer was less than the amount of acid
that remained in the system after the several times the compressor had been
changed, I would suspect that this might be the cause of the black oil.

In the times that the unit had been serviced, someone may have also used the
wrong oil or refrigerant, or perhaps recharged the system with contaminated
refrigerant.

Now that the system is open, it seems to me that all of the crud that may in
fact be in the lines should be cleaned out so the unit can be returned to
reliable service.

Or you could be correct and the whole thing is a hoax.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percussive maintenance. You da man!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I unplugged the clutch relay on a friend's SUV, banged
it against a metal bracket and plugged it back in. It's
been working ever since.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" writes:
If a hermetic compressor shorts out (electrical windings)
and burns up, it can decompose the refrigerant to other
chemicals. As to dark oil, not likely. But in any case, the
chemicals are still within the sealed system. They used to
make acid absorbing filter driers, but those are also part
of the sealed system.

Most kinds of winding insulation have some carbon in them, and produce
black soot if they burn. Black carbon in the oil means black oil, so
black oil doesn't seem that unlikely if there's been a burnout.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

Yep, when I tap the compressor clutch with a stick or
rev the engine. I haven't tracked down that problem
yet. It could be burned contacts on the clutch relay
causing low voltage to the clutch coil or simply a
sticking clutch. Of course, loose connections could
be the culprit. The darn thing's schizo.

Check the clutch clearance (with a feeler gauge).

I had a Honda Civic whose AC worked fine most of the time, but which
quit when the outside temperature was hot and the AC had been running
for a while. It turns out that the clutch either had too much clearance
when it was new, or it had worn to the point where it was now out of
spec. When the clutch was cold, it would still pull in fine despite the
larger gap. But as it heats up, the copper wire resistance increased
enough to drop the clutch current just a bit, and now the magnetic field
wasn't enough to pull in the clutch once it was disengaged.

Replacing the spacer washer to bring the clearance back into the
specified range fixed the problem for the rest of the life of the car.

(Outside temperature matters in two ways: the clutch starts off hotter,
and gets less cooling from the air when it's hot outside. Plus when
it's hot, the compressor is running a larger percentage of the time to
keep the car cool, so the clutch is engaged more and the heat dissipated
by the clutch winding itself increases.)

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martindale wrote:
writes:

[...]

Believe me, I've seen all sorts of thermal intermittent problems
with electrical/electronic and mechanical systems. The most vexing
are narrow range thermal intermittent malfunctions. Won't work hot,
won't work cold but will work at 74deg F.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:43:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

Yes, you are a moron. The lines have lots of flare connections that can be
disconnected. I already pulled the compressor and the accumulator off with
wrenches, no cutting involved. YOU are the troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:34:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A typical store owner won't be opening the sealed system.
Does your van AC work, now?

Where do you get this sealed trash? Look at a system and you will see it
has lots of disconnects. It is NOT sealed. Quit your ignorant trolling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP didn't say anything about dissembly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:43:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Roger, you've been trolled. No way for gook to come out of
refrigeration lines. They are sealed shut.

Yes, you are a moron. The lines have lots of flare
connections that can be
disconnected. I already pulled the compressor and the
accumulator off with
wrenches, no cutting involved. YOU are the troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sealed, as in vapor tight. That's where I get that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:34:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A typical store owner won't be opening the sealed system.
Does your van AC work, now?

Where do you get this sealed trash? Look at a system and
you will see it
has lots of disconnects. It is NOT sealed. Quit your
ignorant trolling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very few store owners disconnect flare lines, and look for
black tar substance within.

You're responding to an old thread.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:16:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sealed, as in vapor tight. That's where I get that.

So because it is vapor tight one can't disconnect a flare
connection and
run something through it? You are a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:47:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Very few store owners disconnect flare lines, and look for
black tar substance within.

You're responding to an old thread.

What does store owners have to do with anything? How does being a store
owner relate to being a "sealed system?" Why are you so scatter-brained?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The original post was written by a store owner, if you
hadn't noticed. I'm so glad that you hurl insults and look
foolish. Please, sir, may I have one more?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael Dobony" wrote in
message .. .
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:47:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Very few store owners disconnect flare lines, and look for
black tar substance within.

You're responding to an old thread.

What does store owners have to do with anything? How does
being a store
owner relate to being a "sealed system?" Why are you so
scatter-brained?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:53:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The original post was written by a store owner, if you
hadn't noticed. I'm so glad that you hurl insults and look
foolish. Please, sir, may I have one more?

No,I did not notice that I was a store owner, and even if i was, how does
that create a "sealed system?"