Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fans

Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the
bed, and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like
some feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto
your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above
your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one directly above the bed - 9 ft ceiling.
Even on low, we did not enjoy the direct air blowing on us, but we
solved the problem using the reverse switch on the fan.
Now the air blows up to the ceiling and we get good circulation
without being in a draft.

No, no noise at all.

Doesn't bother us that the blades are turning over our heads.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed, and
if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one and it is very quiet. Variable speed, it is set about as slow
as you can go. The breeze is not so much as to bother my face. A for
cooling, it is OK, but, depending on temperature, get better results with a
window fan bringing in cooler air or the AC cooling the room down. My wife
likes it, I could do without it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed, and
if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

I have one above my bed and I think it is great. It is very quiet and I
never have a concern about it spinning overhead.

I would like to have one with a remote control that I could keep on my night
stand so I could turn it higher, lower or off if I wish without needing to
get out of bed.

Freckles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 5:30*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the
bed, and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like
some feedback first. *Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto
your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above
your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one directly above the bed - 9 ft ceiling.
Even on low, we did not enjoy the direct air blowing on us, but we
solved the problem using the reverse switch on the fan.
Now the air blows up to the ceiling and we get good circulation
without being in a draft.

No, no noise at all.

Doesn't bother us that the blades are turning over our heads.

Bob-tx

I know you are suppose to change the direction it is blowing
seasonally but I always have mine blowing up.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 29 Jul 2009 12:11:31a, Kate told us...

Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your

head?

Many thanks.

Kate

Yes, we have a ceiling fan directly above the bed. Most fans are very
quiet, but that varies by brand and model. We have an Emerson. We operate
ours on medium speed, and personally I like the feeling of the air blowing
down, but for those who don't they can reverse the air flow and blow it up
against the ceiling which will give overall room circulation without a
direct breeze. I've never given a thought to the blades spinning above my
head. The fan is securely mounted, as are the blades.

--
Wayne Boatwright
High tech tomatoes. Mysterious milk. Supersquash. Are we

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 8:53*am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
[...]

I have one two and am very happy with it. I use the low speed
setting and it's just a gentle breeze that feels great. The fan was
just a basic inexpensive one, about $65 from Lowes. It has a remote,
which I highly recommend for convenience and it makes a new
installation much easier too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

My first house had a fan that was so low that it bothered me and I removed
it. Currently I have one over my bed but it's a 9 foot ceiling and it does
not bother me. However, I only use it in the winter to circulate warm air
because I prefer to use a tabletop fan or a fan blowing in from the window.
I have found a tabletop fan to produce more of a breeze using fewer watts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

I don't have any issues with the fan above the bed, but I don't like direct
airflow blowing over me when I'm in bed, warm or cold. If you are concerned
about the proximity, you can get ceiling hugger fans that do not have a downrod.
They will be slightly less effecient that fans that have a larger gap between
the blades and the ceiling, but it may not matter in a bedroom.

Most fans are reversable, so that instead of blowing air down, they lift the air
up and push it out towards the walls. This setting is intended for winter use as
it reduces the cooling effect of moving air but can be used any time.This may
reduce (but not eliminate) the movement of air over the bed. The effect is less
if you have one of the ceiling hugger fans.

On a low setting you won't hear the motor if the fan is of any reasonable
quality.

BTW - if you are planning on replacing an overhead light fixture with a fan, be
sure the electrical mounting box was designed for the weight of a fan. Most
light boxes aren't. They sell retrofit fan boxes, but they take a reasonable
amount of DIY dexterity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one (8 foot ceiling) and like it. It is variable speed Hunter with
remote. Very quite. We use it on a very slow setting, just to remove the air
around in the room. We bought an oversize one for the size of the room and it
has worked out great.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
Kate wrote:
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your
head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one (8 foot ceiling) and like it. It is variable speed Hunter
with remote. Very quite. We use it on a very slow setting, just to
remove the air around in the room. We bought an oversize one for the
size of the room and it has worked out great.

Chris

Make the "move" not remove. Slip of the fingers.
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Chris wrote:

Chris wrote:
Kate wrote:
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your
head?

Many thanks.

Kate

We have one (8 foot ceiling) and like it. It is variable speed Hunter
with remote. Very quite. We use it on a very slow setting, just to
remove the air around in the room. We bought an oversize one for the
size of the room and it has worked out great.

Chris

Make the "move" not remove. Slip of the fingers.
Chris

Well, as long as you're proofreading, might as well change "quite" to
"quiet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have one with a remote controller. Usually run it on "low" at
night. If it gets too cold (I find the dog on my pillow), then we can
easily shut it off. It is right over the bed, FWIIW. 9' ceilings. Have
had one in BR in both this and our last house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed,
and if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

I had a ceiling fan in my last house, and when I moved I couldn't wait
to have one installed in the new (well 1950's) house. It's centered in
the middle of the room, so it doesn't it really doesn't blow into my
face. It's not noisy; I can hear it a little, but it's more of a white
noise. I've never worried about the blades spinning above my head. (I
had someone else install it.... if I'd tried to do it myself, I would
have worried G).

One thing I'm very glad I did with the new fan that I didn't have at the
old place - I bought a remote control kit. That way if it starts to get
too cool in the middle of the night, it's very easy to turn the speed
down or off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Does anyone have a ceiling fan in their bedroom, right above the bed, and
if so, do you recommend it?

I am thinking about installing a fan above my bed, but would like some
feedback first. Is it noisy, does the air blow directly onto your face,
and does it make you feel uneasy with the blades spinning above your head?

Many thanks.

Kate

Pay the money, get a good one and you won't hear it, or barely so. I have a
Hampton Bay (Home Depot house brand) and it's very quiet. What I
reeeeeeeally like about it is the remote control. -that- is a must-have.
Fan and light control (it's even a dimmer, even though the wall switch is
just on/off) all in one unit you can reach without having to sit up & pull a
chain.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a thermostat. If I
could, I'd hook it up to a t-stat so that when it gets cold enough by the
bed, it would shut off. A timer would also work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 8:10*am, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:37:06 -0600, Robert Neville

Why would you want to pull the heat out of the ceiling (attic) and
push it down into the room. Reversing the fan only changes where the
air comes down.

It's about equalizing the room temp so that the cold air doesn't pool on the
floor forcing you to overcool the room. Moving air also feels cooler so you may
be able to raise the thermostat setting and save a little.

If you are blowing your cool air up against the ceiling you are
cooling the attic.

Don't you have any attic insulation? You ought to see to that.

Ceiling fans - up or down? ---MIKE--- Home Repair 11 January 13th 09 08:06 PM
ceiling fans, a/c, what's right for me? [email protected] Home Repair 9 October 30th 06 05:59 PM
ceiling fans Mark Modrall Home Repair 7 July 4th 06 07:45 AM
Ceiling fans next to ceiling diffusers [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 17th 05 06:36 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM