Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL won't fit in porch light.

Our outside porch light is fitted with an incandescent long-life 130
volt bulb (50 watts IIRC); currently we are using the second of two
such bulbs we bought some 10 to 15 years ago. The bulb is typically on
for some 10 hours every night. So they are lasting a looong time!

While controlled by a wall switch in our hallway the porch light is,
most of the time, switched on/off by an RF switch controlled by a key
chain fob. If we are away good neighbours across the street take the
fob and switch on the light for us each night and also keep check on
the house. We return the favour if/when they are away. Great long term
neighbours!

We tried a small CFL bulb in the same fixture but the light was so
poor and inadequate and did not start well (sometimes hardly at all!)
in cold weather, so a couple of years ago we put back the long-life
bulb!

Now considering using a larger CFL similar to three that my neighbour
uses in his outside fixtures and which seem to work fine even in cold
weather, but the larger CFLs may not fit our fixture, although I might
be able to take it down and modify it?

The fixture is basically a recessed square tin box, around 10 inches
square, some 3 to 3.5 inches deep, with an external electrical
connection box. The whole thing must be tilted to fit it and the
attached wiring up through the square aperture cut into the plywood
ceiling above the porch. We don't want to change that by fitting, say,
a circular pot-light

So a question: From depth of the depth of the fixture it appears that
my replacement CFL would have to be mounted sideways, as is the
present bulb! Could that be a problem?

The outside CFLS my neighbour is using are vertical, downwards AFIK,
in their fixtures. the ones that seem to work OK outside seem to be
the larger 'curly' ones. Probably the equivalent of 60 watt
incandescents?

In view of various postings here any advice welcomed. TIA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome to our government's mandates.
Sounds more like Soviet Union efficiency every day.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 1:07*am, terry wrote:
[...]

I would buy another fixture that can use CFL bulbs.

The energy savings would make the payback fairly quick.

They also make CFL floodlamps that are better sealed that the standard
"curly" style and should last longer in moist environments.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't it ironic. About the same time Gorby was doing
glasnost and peristroika, the USA was increasing regulation
of everything.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob-tx" wrote in message

Welcome to our government's mandates.
Sounds more like Soviet Union efficiency every day.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 1:07*am, terry wrote:
[...]

You may be overthinking this a bit; almost certainly you could just
get a couple 60W-equivalent CFLs and put them in and everything will
be fine. You will save many times their cost over the next few years
compared to the bulbs you are using now (those long-life bulbs use
even more power than a regular incandescent).

To answer your questions: (1) orientation of the bulb should not
matter. (2) cold-starting - I have been using plain old curly CFLs in
my outside fixtures for a couple years now and they work fine in
winter. (Chicago area, gets down below zero fahrenheit.) When it's
cold outside, the bulbs are quite dim when first turned on, but
achieve normal brightness within a minute or a few minutes at most.

I have found that the curly CFLs fit in most fixtures that were
designed for incandescent, but their shape is a little different and
there may be some trial and error involved.

Another thing to consider when buying CFLs is the color of the light.
They vary from a very "cool" light (like the traditional long-tube
fluorescents) to a warmer, almost-like-an-incandescent tone.

-- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WhiteTea77581" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 1:07 am, terry wrote:
[...]

Are you sure that your switch can handle a CFL? Many electronic switches
are Incandescent Only. Does it have a neutral wire as well as line and
load? If only two wire (and electronic) it won't work correctly. You will
need to replace the RF receiver switch with one that will work with CFLs.
Some of the 60W equivalent CFL bulbs are very small and would probably fit
in your fixture.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

My porch light is CFL, one of the twisty turny types. I
leave it on. All day, all night, all year. Doesn't have to
cold start, that way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"terry" wrote in message

We tried a small CFL bulb in the same fixture but the light
was so
poor and inadequate and did not start well (sometimes hardly
at all!)
in cold weather, so a couple of years ago we put back the
long-life
bulb!

In view of various postings here any advice welcomed. TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"terry" wrote in message

We tried a small CFL bulb in the same fixture but the light
was so
poor and inadequate and did not start well (sometimes hardly
at all!)
in cold weather, so a couple of years ago we put back the
long-life
bulb!

In view of various postings here any advice welcomed. TIA.

Thanks again again for the suggestions. I will investigate and reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
terry wrote:

[...]

I would look into replacing the fixture, or replacing the socket with
one that comes on or with a right angle mounting bracket, or getting a
right angle mounting bracket to put the socket (or replacement socket)
onto.

Next, there is a CFL that I like for outdoor fixtures, even works in
enclosed ones down to about zero F, maybe even colder: Philips "Outdoor".
My favorite nowadays is the 15 watt 5000 K "daylight" one. It does start
dim and takes a while to warm up, especially in the cold, but it does work
well once it warms up.

And considering that the higher color temp. has a spectrum more
favorable for use by night vision, it has at least as much
"outdoor nighttime illuminating power" as 60 watt 1,000 hour "standard"
incandescents and superlonglife 75 watt incandescents, probably slightly
more.

I would favor putting some effort and money into reducing from 50 to 15
watts the power consumption of a light fixture that is on 3,650 hours a
year. At USA average residential electricity cost of 11 cents per KWH,
this works out to about $14 per year in electricity savings.

And having the bulb mounted horizontally reduces problems of heat from
the bulb rising to the ballast area of a CFL (near its base) - a common
major contributing factor to premature failures of CFLs in enclosed
fixtures and in recessed ceiling fixtures.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 1:07 am, terry wrote:

[...]

I use the old style non-electronic switch.
A lot more sturdy and cheaper than an electronic switch.

Andy