DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   11 yo top loading Sears washing machine prob (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/283121-11-yo-top-loading-sears-washing-machine-prob.html)

Frank Thompson[_2_] July 26th 09 11:02 AM

11 yo top loading Sears washing machine prob

washing machine has started to apparently leak small amounts of grease
or oil on laundry. Is it time for a new one?
Last year spent $99 on its first repair (leak).

Mike rock July 26th 09 01:59 PM

On Jul 26, 6:02*am, Frank Thompson wrote:
washing machine has started to apparently leak small amounts of grease
or oil on laundry. *Is it time for a new one?
Last year spent $99 on its first repair (leak).

You basicaly have to decide if its worth fixing considering how old it
is, or perhaps better off getting a new one.

Ulysses July 26th 09 03:36 PM

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message
washing machine has started to apparently leak small amounts of grease
or oil on laundry. Is it time for a new one?
Last year spent $99 on its first repair (leak).

The oil is getting onto the clothes? Where is it coming from? The only
thing I know of that has oil in it is the gearbox which is below the motor
on my direct-drive Kenmore.

Stormin Mormon July 26th 09 04:22 PM

11 yo top loading Sears washing machine prob

Leaking oil means transmission. You can net search about
this. My gut hunch is that it's more expensive to repair.
Shears repair tends to be more expensive than any other
company. So, try some local (to you) appliance repair shops,
see what they say.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

HeyBub[_3_] July 26th 09 06:45 PM

Frank Thompson wrote:
washing machine has started to apparently leak small amounts of grease
or oil on laundry. Is it time for a new one?
Last year spent $99 on its first repair (leak).

I see you're posting from Vermont:

Here are some used machines:

$50 - Poultney
http://burlington.craigslist.org/app/1279827086.html

$80 - Bellows Falls
http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/1273529741.html

Plus several others in the $100-$150 range
http://burlington.craigslist.org/sea... reviation=sss

Ulysses July 27th 09 05:17 PM

11 yo top loading Sears washing machine prob

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Frank Thompson wrote:
washing machine has started to apparently leak small amounts of grease
or oil on laundry. Is it time for a new one?
Last year spent $99 on its first repair (leak).

I see you're posting from Vermont:

Here are some used machines:

$50 - Poultney
http://burlington.craigslist.org/app/1279827086.html

$80 - Bellows Falls
http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/1273529741.html

Plus several others in the $100-$150 range

http://burlington.craigslist.org/sea... reviation=sss

I've even seen free washers on Craig's List that needed a new motor or
clutch (supposedly). I bought a used motor for mine from a used appliance
place and it was only $30. I suspect the trans/gearbox would not be a whole
lot more (used). OTOH I found it a lot cheaper to get the coupler and dogs
on eBay than from the appliance store.