Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill Repair

Finally got up my courage, and pull apart my Metabo corded
half inch hammer drill. It died, with no aparent reason, a
couple weeks ago. I'd been using my Skil 3/8 drill, for
installing deadbolts. Finally ground the gears so it doesn't
work. Installing deadbolts is a bit too rough on the Skil, I
guess.

Turns out the white wire broke, about an inch from the plug.
That was easy. And I spent all this time worried about it.
Sigh.

Lucky me, doesn't have to go spend money and buy a new
drill. In 1985, I paid over $200 for this drill. One like
this, somewhat, at Walmart about $75. And $26 at Harbor
Freight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Finally got up my courage, and pull apart my Metabo corded
half inch hammer drill. It died, with no aparent reason, a
couple weeks ago. I'd been using my Skil 3/8 drill, for
installing deadbolts. Finally ground the gears so it doesn't
work. Installing deadbolts is a bit too rough on the Skil, I
guess.

Turns out the white wire broke, about an inch from the plug.
That was easy. And I spent all this time worried about it.
Sigh.

Lucky me, doesn't have to go spend money and buy a new
drill. In 1985, I paid over $200 for this drill. One like
this, somewhat, at Walmart about $75. And $26 at Harbor
Freight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Nice post for helping others.

My dead hammer drill just needed the dust blown out of the switch when I
took mine apart. I thought for sure I had killed it.

That was 15 years ago and I still use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:09:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Finally got up my courage, and pull apart my Metabo corded
half inch hammer drill. It died, with no aparent reason, a
couple weeks ago. I'd been using my Skil 3/8 drill, for
installing deadbolts. Finally ground the gears so it doesn't
work. Installing deadbolts is a bit too rough on the Skil, I
guess.

Turns out the white wire broke, about an inch from the plug.
That was easy. And I spent all this time worried about it.
Sigh.

Lucky me, doesn't have to go spend money and buy a new
drill. In 1985, I paid over $200 for this drill. One like
this, somewhat, at Walmart about $75. And $26 at Harbor
Freight.

You mean one that *looks* like the Metabo. The ones at Walmart and Harbor
Freight are not in the same class as each other and certainly not in the
same class as your Metabo. Not all hammer drills are created equal. Skil
is better than the Harbor freight and might be what you are looking at at
Walmart, but no where near the quality of Metabo, FWIS. The closest you
will get at the big box stores to your Metabo is Milwaukee or Hitachi.
DeWalt has gone down severely in quality in the last few years after being
bought by B&D. I had an 18v cordless drill for just over a year before it
was stolen. Actually I had THREE drills in just over a year. The first one
lost the clutch. The second one burned up and lost the clutch. Not one of
them had a clutch that worked properly and the "locking" chuck did not
lock. It was often dropping drill bits. The Milwaukee that replaced it
works flawlessly!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I'm sure glad you were able to fix yours. I may buy
another drill at HF, just to have a spare. But, it's good to
have my Metabo working again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

Nice post for helping others.

My dead hammer drill just needed the dust blown out of the
switch when I
took mine apart. I thought for sure I had killed it.

That was 15 years ago and I still use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, I meant one that's about the same size and
function as the Metabo. The looks are similar only in that
they are the same general class of drill.

After having the gears strip out in my Skil (the skinny
spiral gear coming off the motor) I realize it's easy to
over work a cheap drill. I've done some serious drilling
with my Metabo, and the gears still feel good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Note to self: Milwaukee is a good brand.

Actually, my 12 volt cordless Drill Master from HF, have
served me for several years. They come with a stupid
charger. I charge them only when they get weak, and then for
about two hours.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
news
The Milwaukee that replaced it
works flawlessly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I'm sure glad you were able to fix yours. I may buy another drill at
HF, just to have a spare. But, it's good to have my Metabo working again.

I'd buy a used "name brand" drill off CL or similar (There are lots on
there) before I'd get the junky electrics from HF. Even a 'Black Friday'
Craftsman drill would be better and probably no more $$

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had forgot about Craigslist. Thank you, that's a very good
idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rudy" wrote in message

I'd buy a used "name brand" drill off CL or similar (There
are lots on
there) before I'd get the junky electrics from HF. Even a
'Black Friday'
Craftsman drill would be better and probably no more $$

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I had forgot about Craigslist. Thank you, that's a very good
idea.

Just remember to stay away from the guy who wants to meet you in the parking
lot to sell "his" Hole Hog" for thirty bucks....

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Si, sen~or. Yo comprendo.

--