Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Price of KCl for Water Softeners

Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At
one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I recall reading that potassium is a key ingredient in a more
lucrative process... maybe it was ethanol.

W. eWatson wrote:
Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At
one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At one
time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

I was considering changing but it was $27 for 40lbs at HD. Looks like I'm on
the salt for awhile. But even at that price I'd only pay $200 - $300 (?) a
year anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote:

Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At
one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

K (potash) is a key component of fertilizer. My understanding was that
agricultural demand caused China to withhold exports for internal use, which in
turn drove prices up around the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote:

Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At
one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

K (potash) is a key component of fertilizer. My understanding was that
agricultural demand caused China to withhold exports for internal use, which in
turn drove prices up around the world.

Hmmm,
Saskatchewan has HUGE Potash mine. Big exporter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Betty wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At one
time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

I was considering changing but it was $27 for 40lbs at HD. Looks like I'm on
the salt for awhile. But even at that price I'd only pay $200 - $300 (?) a
year anyway.

Where might that be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"justalurker ." wrote:

IIRC almost all the KCl is mined in Canada by North American Salt and
put on the market under a variety of names.

Well, not all, but certainly the most. Russia/Belarus is apparently a close
second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Betty wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At
one
time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?
I was considering changing but it was $27 for 40lbs at HD. Looks like
I'm on
the salt for awhile. But even at that price I'd only pay $200 - $300 (?)
year anyway.

Where might that be?

Where KCI is $27/40lbs. :-) Austin.

I remember pricing it awhile back and it was somewhere in the low teens.

Actually, $300 unless I run a hose back for my pool. I think I'm just going
to run the hose to the backyard and forget it and leave the salt. That's too
much.

Water softeners Richard UK diy 1 March 27th 07 11:29 AM
Water Softeners [email protected] Home Repair 9 June 2nd 06 08:37 PM
Water Softeners Quiggles UK diy 29 February 20th 06 09:25 PM
Water Softeners Ian Cornish UK diy 2 August 8th 05 12:56 AM
Water softeners JLamm Home Repair 6 January 10th 05 11:38 PM