Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacement windows

I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:50:26 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

Find a local contractor with good references from people you know who
does windows. Find out about the windows they recommend/provide and
go with them. You are buying windows, not advertising, so the person
who you buy from shouldn't have ads all over everywhere, they
shouldn't need the extra business. Look into low-e or low-e squared
glass depending on whether you need heat gain in the winter or wish to
prevent heat gain in the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 9:50*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. *I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. *I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. *I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. *If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

www.energystar.gov has good info and maybe performance data. I know
if you get most name brand windows installed there is no warranty from
day one if the window or door is more than 1/8" out of plumb, level or
square. And Ive seen many installers instal without using a level.
There is more to this purchase than you realise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was happy with the price and work done at my house by
www.worldofwindowsandsiding.com

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
badgolferman wrote:
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

I would look into doing it myself and save big bucks. It's not that
difficult. Figuring out how to remove the old ones is the hardest. Once
you have your opening it's nothing to install, level and foam seal it in.
Replace the trim and add outside vinyl trim if necessary. You get better
with each window you complete. You can get a good price on vinyl
replacements with low E thermopane glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

WW uses subcontracting for installation, which has a multitude of
drawbacks, which I won't go into.

If you go with them, Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

Don't forget that this year and at least part of next year you can
get a 30% tax break on windows up to $1500, not including installation.
But you have to have a rating of 0.3 or less. I wouldn't bet
those Window World windows have that. So I look on that as probably
some sort of bait and switch tactic.

I went to a local home and garden show yesterday and when I saw the
booths that are advertising so heavily on TV I walked right on by
without stopping. I have little faith in companies that advertise
the way they do.

One thing I thought was a but humorous was that the booth with Anderson
windows said that the Anderson windows didn't meet the 0.3 rating, because
of the frame. They used the same glass core as others that did.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

I'm curious if they were vinyl or wood frame and if the wood framed ones
pass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
BillGill wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

I believe they were the vinyl clad wood.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman, 7/24/2009,10:50:26 AM, wrote:

I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

Thank you all who responded. I have received a quote from a local
contractor that seems promising and am considering it. The windows
quoted are from BF Rich and are the Horizon model.
http://www.bfrich.com/horizon.html

I am told by the contractor they are the ones that will qualify for the
federal tax credit. I see on the website there are three different
versions of that model and only one qualifies for the tax credit.
Other than calling the guy back up and asking him to prove these are
the correct type what else can I do?

The quote I got was for 16 custom-made windows with grids which
includes two small bathroom windows and one picture window. Lifetime
glass breakage, new outside wrap and discarding of old windows is also
included. Total price = $5265

--
"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always
oppressive." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I won't comment on the price, because it varies greatly depending on
region/local etc.

Are you getting LowE and gas filled? LowE, I'm a big believer in. Gas
filled, well that subject is an ongoing debate.

Another thing to consider is, for the bathrooms, obscured glass, this is
always an up charge. Its well worth the small up charge because it
provides privacy. Unless, you liked being looked at, or showing off! 8-)
Is your picture window large? If so, you may want to consider getting 2
windows mulled on each side, which you would be able to open. Generally for
best appearance, you divide the opening in 1/2, then the balance would be
divided again in half for each mulled unit 1/4-1/2-1/4 = opening. The
picture would be the 1/2.

Of course, you want to actually _look_ at some of the jobs, and talk with
the owners. The contractor should have no problem supplying a list of
satisfied customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 1:35*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. *I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. *I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. *I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. *If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

I would look into doing it myself and save big bucks. It's not that
difficult. Figuring out how to remove the old ones is the hardest. Once
you have your opening it's nothing to install, level and foam seal it
in. Replace the trim and add outside vinyl trim if necessary. You get
better with each window you complete. You can get a good price on vinyl
replacements with low E thermopane glass.

"I would look into doing it myself and save big bucks. It's not
that difficult."

A retired salesperson for the local Norandex-Reynolds store referred
me to his old place of employment for my windows. I got a great price,
a lot of advice and saved a ton of money by installing them myself.

I did a lot on research, ask some questions in a few forums and am
confident I did a better job than many contractors would have done. In
fact, when I told the guy at N-R how I adjusted the exterior trim to
fit the new windows he said that no contractor in the world would have
taken the time it took to that without charging a huge amount of
labor.

Where they would have just caulked the gap between the trim and
window, I removed the trim, took out some spacers and reinstalled the
trim for a tighter fit and a much smaller/neater caulk line.

"You get better with each window you complete."

One of the best pieces of advice I got was "Start on the back of the
house, with the window that is hardest to see."

That's exactly what I did and it worked out great. The minor
differences between the first window and the last are noticeable only
to me, but the biggest difference is that I didn't have to stand
around scratching my head by the time I was working in full few of my
neighbors! I (purposely) spent close to a full day on the first window
and was up to 3 a day by the time I moved to front of the house.

The front door is next, which is probably going to mean a new stoop
and tile in the foyer. It never ends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 7:33*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
[...]

You need LowE Argon to get the better R values and it does make a
difference, winter and summer. Check the spec of the window, specs
should be also published . Call the manufacturer, ask them. Glass
breakage isnt important but the warranty on fogging is, they range
from 1 yr to lifetime with 20-Lifetime being normal.

Honestly you must verify instal and find out now what the leeway in
Out of Plumb-Level-Square the manufacturer gives before you have no
warranty. Pella-Anderson give 1/8". I learned the hard way, my new
Pellas and Andersons, some had no warranty from day one because they
were more than 1/8" out of install guidlines. Dont trust the
installer, verify quality of install before you pay, you will need
your own,- good, levels. This is a long term investment, spend the
time to learn it or you could regret it in a few years. www.energystar.com
has info, you should understand and compare CDF, Vlt, Shg, air
infiltration, U and R values and more to do a comparison, an example ,
Pellas kinda suck, they easily condense, actualy all my Low E argon
Pellas condense, that rots wood. My Andersons dont, Glass is not
equal, nor are frames, and most installers are hacks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 05:23:42 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jul 29, 7:33Â*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
badgolferman, 7/24/2009,10:50:26 AM, wrote:
I need new replacement windows for my 1967 brick-sided house. Â*I'm
considering Window World and have set up a visit by them. Â*I'm sure
there are many experiences with that outfit in this group. Â*I would
appreciate any suggestions you have and what to expect. Â*If you have
other suggestions than Window World please list those too.

Thank you all who responded. Â*I have received a quote from a local
contractor that seems promising and am considering it. Â*The windows
quoted are from BF Rich and are the Horizon model.http://www.bfrich.com/horizon.html

I am told by the contractor they are the ones that will qualify for the
federal tax credit. Â*I see on the website there are three different
versions of that model and only one qualifies for the tax credit.
Other than calling the guy back up and asking him to prove these are
the correct type what else can I do?

The quote I got was for 16 custom-made windows with grids which
includes two small bathroom windows and one picture window. Â*Lifetime
glass breakage, new outside wrap and discarding of old windows is also
included. Â*Total price = $5265

--
[...]

Look for a dealer/installer where the workers are ALL EMPLOYEES - NOT
subcontractors. They have better control over the install quality.
Sure helps if the forman is also a partner in the business.

Replacement Windows? Shirley ann Home Repair 16 June 22nd 09 04:16 PM
Replacement Windows trax Home Repair 3 August 24th 08 01:52 PM
Replacement Windows FMB Home Repair 0 September 4th 07 06:42 AM
Replacement Windows Win Home Repair 3 May 21st 07 09:28 PM
Replacement Windows [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:14 PM