Posted to alt.home.repair

Default oven turns itself on!!!

stove has been working fine. Awoke to smoke alarm going off and oven
on high. Igniter constantly lit and the oven on full blast. No amount
of fiddling around with oven control affected it, finally just pulled
plug on unit. That stopped it but this is scary! what if that had
happened when we weren't home??? is this a normal occurence, that an
oven and igniter just turns themselves on?? PLEASE respond to
I don't check gmail to much.

KENMORE MODEL# 362.7516190 SERIAL # 5M174172P
Posted to alt.home.repair

mirage154 wrote:
stove has been working fine. Awoke to smoke alarm going off and oven
on high. Igniter constantly lit and the oven on full blast. No amount
of fiddling around with oven control affected it, finally just pulled
plug on unit. That stopped it but this is scary! what if that had
happened when we weren't home??? is this a normal occurence, that an
oven and igniter just turns themselves on?? PLEASE respond to
I don't check gmail to much.

KENMORE MODEL# 362.7516190 SERIAL # 5M174172P

Are you in the U.S.?

The CPSC would be interested in knowing about that.
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/contact.html

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stepfann King" wrote in
message .128...
You have gremlins.

If only a wife...

Oh never mind, just wishful thinking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:56:20 -0500, Dan Kuechle wrote:

"mirage154" wrote in message
stove has been working fine. Awoke to smoke alarm going off and oven
on high. Igniter constantly lit and the oven on full blast. No amount
of fiddling around with oven control affected it, finally just pulled
plug on unit. That stopped it but this is scary! what if that had
happened when we weren't home??? is this a normal occurence, that an
oven and igniter just turns themselves on?? PLEASE respond to
I don't check gmail to much.

KENMORE MODEL# 362.7516190 SERIAL # 5M174172P

I think something similar may have happened to out Maytag oven. This is a
US model that runs opposite polarity 110 vac to each side of the heating
element to get 220 vac and has the oven body connected to the neutral and to
earth ground. The problem is the cheep controller used for the heating
element...it only switches one side of the element off, leaving the other
side "hot". If something fails and a "ground" connection is made through
the heating element supports, the heating element heats up, and in our case
arcs and burns and smokes and can't be turned off unless you get to the
other non-switched "hot" side by unplugging or flipping the circuit breaker.
In our case this happened when the oven was on (just before trying to cook a
big dinner for a bunch of guests - of coarse). A new heating element got
the oven back to "normal".

Dan

Igniter implies a gas stove, not electric.