Posted to alt.home.repair

Default least leaky dryer vent?

Anyone have any suggestions for the least leaky (air-wise) dryer
vent? What I've read is that the 'flying shuttle' type is the best
option out the

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...8326553&sr=8-4

I bought one of these years ago and the thing fell apart within a year
or two. And despite there being many sellers and 'brands' it looks
like they might all be made by the same place. I also recall it was
still drafty in the laundry room.

There's also the louvered kind, although they seem very flimsy too and
I can imagine the wind blowing those open easy.

Any suggestions? My dryer vent exit is about 2' above the ground.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ben" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions for the least leaky (air-wise) dryer
vent? What I've read is that the 'flying shuttle' type is the best
option out the

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...8326553&sr=8-4

I bought one of these years ago and the thing fell apart within a year
or two. And despite there being many sellers and 'brands' it looks
like they might all be made by the same place. I also recall it was
still drafty in the laundry room.

There's also the louvered kind, although they seem very flimsy too and
I can imagine the wind blowing those open easy.

Any suggestions? My dryer vent exit is about 2' above the ground.

thanks

I have been using one of the one shown. Several years now. No problems. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for the least leaky (air-wise) dryer
vent? What I've read is that the 'flying shuttle' type is the best
option out the

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...8326553&sr=8-4

I bought one of these years ago and the thing fell apart within a year
or two. And despite there being many sellers and 'brands' it looks
like they might all be made by the same place. I also recall it was
still drafty in the laundry room.

There's also the louvered kind, although they seem very flimsy too and
I can imagine the wind blowing those open easy.

Any suggestions? My dryer vent exit is about 2' above the ground.

I don't understand how a leaky dryer vent could contribute to a drafty dryer
room. Maybe if you left the door to the dryer open...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have been using one of the one shown. Several years now. No problems. WW

did you paint yours? i have read that painting them will keep the UV
rays from the sun from breaking down the plastic. the plastic cover
of mine cracked within a year or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

ben wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for the least leaky (air-wise) dryer
vent? What I've read is that the 'flying shuttle' type is the best
option out the

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...8326553&sr=8-4

I bought one of these years ago and the thing fell apart within a year
or two. And despite there being many sellers and 'brands' it looks
like they might all be made by the same place. I also recall it was
still drafty in the laundry room.

There's also the louvered kind, although they seem very flimsy too and
I can imagine the wind blowing those open easy.

Any suggestions? My dryer vent exit is about 2' above the ground.

I don't understand how a leaky dryer vent could contribute to a drafty dryer
room. Maybe if you left the door to the dryer open...

C'mon HeyBub...

There has to be a path through which air can get into the dryer (with
the door closed) in order for it to be blown out the vent, doesn't there?

That path, if the dryer vent doesn't act like a perfect check valve,
will let outside air blow through it in reverse when the dryer's not
running, whether the dryer door is open or not.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

ben wrote:

[...]

Ah! You're right. What was I thinking?

I often use the dryer as a source of heat/humidity in the winter-time via an
exhaust diverter.

Leaky Vent Pipe lagman[_2_] Home Repair 8 July 12th 09 06:57 PM
Dryer vent Chas12 Home Repair 32 December 22nd 05 03:29 PM
dryer vent [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 20th 05 11:15 PM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 10:40 PM