Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Garage Door Opener receiiver. What is the normal load on one?

Would the normal load of a garage door opener, on the GDO receiver
relay, be more than the current it takes to close a simple relay?
Using 16 volts AC for the relay coil, through the normally open dry
relay contacts of the GDO receiver?

I bought a new receiver and two (Viper brand, aiui) remotes, and the
receiver worked about 5 times in the first 5 minutes, but after that
it didn't control anything. My friend held it in his fingers and
could feel it vibrating slightly, but nothing else happened. The
whole receiver is a lot smaller than a pack of cigarettes, maybe the
size of 3 packs of Juicy Fruit, and when I opened a different brand,
it used a reed switch as a relay. I'm sure this one does too.

My friend, the one I'm always talking about, for some silly reason,
threw away the garage door opener receiver that was used to control
the floodlights around his house from his wife's car. (A second
transmitter was in the house to turn the lights off again.) The
receiver controlled a one-inch by 3/4 inch external relay (using
16volts AC for both the coil and the load, which controlled a pretty
large latching relay with a 24 volt AC coil, which carried the 110
volt current to the lights. This had worked for years for the
previous owners of the house, and for months for my friend, until he
cut out and threw away the receiver.

We bought a replacement on ebay, with one receiver and two fobs (It
had no packaging and was plainly put together from left-over
burglar-alarm fobs and a receiver.) The fob batteries dead or almost
dead, but that doesn't bother me.

Did I likely buy something that wasn't big enough for the job, or did
it just fail like one of the fobs did?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Can you adjust antenna? My receiver which is controlled by outside
keypad works all the time every time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:25:55 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Did I likely buy something that wasn't big enough for the job, or did
it just fail like one of the fobs did?

Hmmm,
Can you adjust antenna? My receiver which is controlled by outside
keypad works all the time every time.

Admittedly, the receiver wasn't in its final position, which was on
top of the stand-alone closet about 3 feet closer to the front wall.
It was still on the far side of the closet from the street hanging
from the top of the closet and after it didn't work, in the hand of my
friend.

The antenna is only about 6 inches of multi-strand wire, and it was
hanging down.

They don't mention a range for the transmistter. I guess the street
where we were (using my car battery in place of the dead fob
batteries) is about 50 feet. but even up to the top of the driveway is
about 40 feet from the closet.

At the end, he could feel the receiver vibrating, but it didn't turn
the lights on or off, as if the reed switch were burnt out.