Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Matching surface texture of sanded grout

I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of
matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout.

However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60
grit sandpaper (like popcorn texture in miniature) while the surface
of my new grout is more like trowelled morter.

Do I need a special type of grout or additive or finishing/tooling
technique to get the grout to have a similar texturing?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

blueman wrote:
I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of
matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout.

However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60
grit sandpaper (like popcorn texture in miniature) while the surface
of my new grout is more like trowelled morter.

Do I need a special type of grout or additive or finishing/tooling
technique to get the grout to have a similar texturing?

Thanks

While I have found that Mapei sanded grout seems to use a very fine grade of
sand in it, it is also possible that water, cleaning compounds, etc. have
etched the cement portion of the grout over the years, revealing the sand
granules to stand proud of the surface, giving the "60 grit" texture. The
only thing that comes to mind would be to re-grout over the old grout with
non-sanded or possibly the new sanded grout, however, this is subject to
testing in a hidden location, and may fail to stay bonded to the old grout
surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of
matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout.

However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60
grit sandpaper (like popcorn texture in miniature) while the surface
of my new grout is more like trowelled morter.

Do I need a special type of grout or additive or finishing/tooling
technique to get the grout to have a similar texturing?

Thanks

While I have found that Mapei sanded grout seems to use a very fine
grade of sand in it,

Makes sense - in fact, for most uses, companies seem to advertise the
fineness of their sand - though for obvious reasons that is not the
benefit I am looking for in my particular case.

it is also possible that water, cleaning
compounds, etc. have etched the cement portion of the grout over the
years, revealing the sand granules to stand proud of the surface,
giving the "60 grit" texture.

Interesting thought but I don't think so since the texture is uniform
60 grit even in areas that don't get worn.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to re-grout over the old
grout with non-sanded or possibly the new sanded grout, however,
this is subject to testing in a hidden location, and may fail to
stay bonded to the old grout surface.

Hmmm, the joints are pretty full so I think I would need to remove
grout from the whole area which truly would be a pita. I think I need
to identify a company that makes a "sandier" (i.e coarser texture)
grout in a matching color.

I have not however been able to find a company that advertises such
"textured" grout.

Sanded vs unsanded grout Ed Home Repair 7 May 30th 08 10:55 PM
Sanded or unsanded grout Aaron Fude Home Repair 1 February 6th 08 11:44 PM
Matching orange peel texture Carlos Home Repair 3 April 18th 06 12:59 AM
sanded grout Tippi Home Repair 7 January 17th 06 06:46 PM
matching old plaster texture Henny bogan Home Repair 8 February 3rd 05 11:22 PM