Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Scratches in new galvalume roof

I had a new steel roof put on about a month ago. There were a few
scratches in the metal, which now have a white crust (zinc oxide?).
The contractor is contacting the supplier about it, but I thought I'd
ask for some opinions here. Is there a paint that can be used to
cover the scratches? Do you think the sheets of metal (two or three)
affected should be replaced?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"danmc68" wrote in message
I had a new steel roof put on about a month ago. There were a few
scratches in the metal, which now have a white crust (zinc oxide?).
The contractor is contacting the supplier about it, but I thought I'd
ask for some opinions here. Is there a paint that can be used to
cover the scratches? Do you think the sheets of metal (two or three)
affected should be replaced?

Thanks,
Dan

That stuff is made with IIRC, 11 layers of coatings. It's good stuff. If
it was damaged by the contractor, and factory finish is marred, I'd have it
changed out at their cost. The stuff should have never been installed in
the first place. IMHO, being a retired steel erection contractor. Now if
you pull the sheets, it is difficult to get the screw holes in exactly the
same spot yada yada yada.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 18, 4:44*pm, danmc68 wrote:
I had a new steel roof put on about a month ago. *There were a few
scratches in the metal, which now have a white crust (zinc oxide?).
The contractor is contacting the supplier about it, but I thought I'd
ask for some opinions here. *Is there a paint that can be used to
cover the scratches?

*snip

There is a class of paints called 'zinc rich' that approximate the
performance of galvanizing. They are commonly found on welded sections
of chain link fence accessories. Try a real paint store for what you
need. It is quite possible that zinc rich paint would be acceptable to
the roofing maker.

Joe

scratches on glass Ken UK diy 7 June 3rd 06 05:05 PM
Anyway to remove crt scratches? [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 January 14th 06 11:32 PM
Scratches on Hardwood patga Home Repair 6 June 29th 05 09:50 PM
Scratches on TV screen paulfoel Electronics Repair 15 February 10th 05 05:26 PM
Glass Scratches Herman Munster Home Repair 4 November 20th 03 04:36 PM