Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Relocating a 10' x 12" shed

Commish wrote:

For the folks who suggested rollers - I like that idea, however, where
I want it is down a slope. How much slope? My 4yos can sled down it
safely, but you have to stop them from the bushes at the bottom. I
wouldn't call it steep. But it's a little more than gentle....

Once on the rollers, how likely will it be to take off?

Very.

Stuff weighs more, sometimes MUCH more, going downhill than going up.

I refer you to an old movie: "The Gun." They got it UP the hill okay, but
going down it broke loose and cut a swath about fifteen feet wide through a
forest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:35:03 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:56:28 -0400, wrote:

-snip-
My 10X10 shed would take a hercules on each corner if 4 were to lift
it. 8 foot hih walls, all hardwood 2X5 studs on 16 inch centers with 1
inch hardwood "attic floor" Bet it weighs 2 tons (oh yes, the roof is
15X15)

Bet it doesn't. Do the math and prove me wrong & I'll email you a
beer.

What kind of hardwood & why waste it on studs and flooring for a shed?

You're not an old Beechnut employee are you? An uncle worked at a
Beechnut plant in the 60's. Some raw materials he was working with
came from south America. The boxes were 1" red mahogany. Not many
boards over 4 feet long-- but some real nice 5/4x18 clear mahogany. He
had a shed full.

Jim

The hardwood was from pallets that large sheets of metal were shipped
on. A friend had cut up about 6 months worth for firewood and he
offered me about 3 weeks production worth.

Figure 4 lbs per board foot and about .9 bf/linear foot. Each 8 foot
stud weighs over 28 lb. 8 studs per side is 32 studs for 896 lbs.
Double plate and sill is another 480 lbs. so the framing for the walls
alone is over 1350 lbs. with the window and door cut out. Add plate
above and below window and lintel over the door and you are back up
over 1370. The bottom 4 feet is lined with 1" thick boards - just over
100 board feet with the opening for the door deleted for another 400
lbs. We have not got the 2X8 floor joists or the 2" thick floor
figured in yet - mostly spruce but still not light when there is 100
square feet of it. Then there is the 15 foot square top deck - again
mostly spruce 2X6, with about 120 square feet of 1" thick hardwood
floor. ( that's another 400 lbs), and the hardwood framing on the
gable ends and the 10 foot 2X4 roof rafters on 12" centers (central
ontario snow load) with 3/8" plywood sheathing and 20 year fiberglass
shingles. There are"jury struts from the floor framing up to the
rafters 3 feet in on the one side and 2 feet in on the other so the
span is reduced somewhat. The gables are sheathed with tentest and
covered with vinyl siding - and the outside is clad in hardboard
siding.
There is a 2 foot by 4 foot shelf framed in hardwood in one corner
that holds my chain-saws, hedge trimmer and other assorted equipment,
and the end acts a a rack to hold material (wood, steel, etc) as well
as a 2X3 foot (approx) 3 level shelf where I keep a few motors and
assorted parts.. The shelves and supports alone are a few hundred more
lbs.
If it's not within a hundred pounds of 2 tons I'll be very surprised.
Then it's all fastened to8X8 white cedar (like railway ties) (resawn
from hydro poles) buried in a gravel filled trench as a foundation..
So you would have to lift it almost a foot before you could start
moving it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Commish, Bobjones wrote:
I moved my 10 x 12 shead on pvc pipe years ago. Think I used 4 inch. No
issues with crushing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ed-384312-.htm

Insulating shed - "Frame Foil"? JP Coetzee UK diy 32 July 28th 08 11:20 PM
Insulating shed - "Frame Foil"? JP Coetzee UK diy 0 July 24th 08 01:03 PM
relocating bathroom & wc blue UK diy 1 January 9th 07 11:55 AM
Electric in the garden shed and "part P" Dark Angel UK diy 19 October 24th 05 01:40 PM
Relocating a BT line Luke Newman UK diy 23 May 30th 05 11:06 PM