DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question on simple furnace duct installation (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/282559-question-simple-furnace-duct-installation.html)

mg July 17th 09 04:03 AM

Question on simple furnace duct installation

I'm going to be installing about 20 feet of new 6" ducts between
2"x12" floor joists spaced 8" apart. It occurs to me that if I install
the ducts one by one between the joists, I'm not going to be able to
tape around them very well or put any screws in the top. What's the
best way to handle this problem? Should I assemble the entire run on
the floor and tape it and screw it all together and then lift it all
into place in one piece?

Mike rock July 17th 09 11:46 AM

On Jul 16, 11:03*pm, mg wrote:
I'm going to be installing about 20 feet of new 6" ducts between
2"x12" floor joists spaced 8" apart. It occurs to me that if I install
the ducts one by one between the joists, I'm not going to be able to
tape around them very well or put any screws in the top. What's the
best way to handle this problem? Should I assemble the entire run on
the floor and tape it and screw it all together and then lift it all
into place in one piece?

I'm assuming you mean 6"round rigid duct,right? You could do what you
said, or instead of tape, use brush on duct sealer. You might be able
to get in the tight spots with a brush. Also you can use screws on the
bottom by putting a brace between the joists and let the duct rest on
the brace.
Are these A/C ducts? If they are don't forget to insulate them. They
also sell 25' of flexible duct in HD or Lowes already insulated.